View Poll Results: Have you used a Pod style quilt, like a PeaPod?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never tried one

120 79.47%
  • tried it and thought it was too constricting/claustrophobic

2 1.32%
  • I tried one and found it very warm and comfortable

23 15.23%
  • I tried one and was cold at or above rated temps

2 1.32%
  • I never tried it because it seemed too heavy

6 3.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pod remembrance

Images

Pod remembrance

Who remembers the Speer Pea Pod? OK, plenty do I'm sure, but seems to me not a lot of folks went for these, and I often wonder why. Speer is out of the hammock business, but TTT Gear still offers them. ( I wish I could find specs at their web site, esp. for that PolarPod) I have had mine out lately and have been reminded why I like this approach so much, though it also has it's drawbacks. ( as always it seems, pros and cons. But lots of pros, some unique)

The biggest flaw with the Pea Pod is that it is unusable with the JRB Bridge hammock. Which has slowly become my favorite overall hammock. So there is a conflict between my fav hammock and my fav insulation. The JRB MW4 may be even a better UNDER quilt than the Pea Pod. It is certainly warmer on the bottom than a Pea Pod by itself. And when used with the BMBH, it is the best fit and requires the least adjustment of any combo I have used. So there is plenty to like there. It's just that I really like the fully closed pod approach.

I hooked it up to the Speer 8.5 the other day, which I have not done in a long time. Length wise, it will fit this hammock best, as it was made for it. The disadvantage is that this combo really creates a good sized gap above you which reduces top side warmth a good bit. It also narrows the pod by lifting the sides, reducing my ability to lay in fetal without compressing the loft or even popping the Velcro open. And I can't really lay on my side with legs straight in the Speer. So it is pretty much back sleeping only.

The advantage is that the space gives a sense of roominess even when fully closed( if you are not too claustrophobic for this). It is sort of like being in a small insulated tent. It is not the most efficient heat wise, but I can still be OK on top in the 40s no problem. It is great to be so warm head to toe without worrying about having your arms or hands under a quilt. And I have no calf pressure to speak of in the Speer. And if you need to add a summer TQ, then you end up with something a lot warmer than either the TQ or Pod by themselves.

After awhile I decided to just put it back on what I usually use it with- my Claytor No Net. I tried something new and learned a new trick. The Claytor is over a foot longer than the Speer hammock. I always have a little trouble closing the ends, since I didn't want to clamp down on the hammock ends and loose effective length. This time I didn't worry about it. And I first made a knot like for tying your shoes and cinched it down around the hammock. Then I slid the cord locks down to this "knot", (so it is not going anywhere) and tied the remaing cord to the hammock ends. This made the best end seal I have ever had. And I was surprised to find there was no apparent change in the feel of the hammock. Now with this combo, the top layer just layed right on top of my body in most places, or a very small gap in others. In the high 30s with just my jeans and cotton shirt, no hat, and warm,warm, warm. Top and bottom. Even with a 5" diameter breathing hole, I was very quickly warm enough. And with this narrow hammock which does not lift the pod, I can easily get on my side fetal or otherwise. Then I can rotate the pod to get a breathing hole on the side. I'm laying there with lots of loft around my face and head, and of course drafts are simply NO problem. There are plenty of cold- but not to cold- temps where a hat or hood would not really be needed. It is really very similar to being inside a mummy bag with hood. But a big roomy one. And again, I can position- for ex- my hands behind my head and elbows out to the side without getting cold arms. Or cold head or hands.

Everything is warm, top and bottom, with this approach, depending on what size breathing hole you open up. But the claustrophobic probably won't be able to use this to max effect. But it doesn't bother me at all. This is one system that I never have to worry about gaps. A small gap just doesn't seem to cause much problem. I often have a good sized gap on purpose, planning to throw a jacket or something down there.

So what do you other pod users think? There are not many of us, I think, for some reason. I'm thinking the claustrophobia potential might keep a good many folks away. And perceived heaviness. But it does not really weigh much more ( if at all ) than an equally warm TQ/UQ combo.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I´ve only used an oversized sleepingbag as an Peapod(never tried the real thing so i voted no)
    But i found it to be to inflexible when it comes "hanging out in camp" still its a nice warm concept...

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    It was quite expensive, that's why I never bought it. It was a good idea, though.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't have a Speers Peapod but have used for years Feather Freinds Winter Wren,
    Exped Wallcreeper/Dreamwalker bag and Wiggys ECOTAT bag. They all have draw string bottoms and center zip bags. Used in combation with clothing I have slept -0 weather
    warm and comfirtable.
    Its my favrite sleep system.

fourdog

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some pretty famous folks favored the PeaPod.....
    I never have had a chance to be wrapped in one.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    yeah. hang high in the peapod and give peace a chance
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 11-09-2010 at 09:22.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've never tried one, but people who used them at Mt. Rogers spoke warmly of them.

I'm working on a Ripstop-Climashield-Insultex-Ripstop hammock sock that will zip around and enclose my adjustable hammock (venting may be interesting). It's definitely not the same shape as the Pea Pod, but was directly inspired by it. Thanks, Ed!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Who remembers the Speer Pea Pod?
    The Speer hammock and Peapod with Speer Top Quilt has remained my go-to system on AT hikes, and used as recently as last month on a 59 mile section hike in Pennsylvania. I also have a HH UL backpacker ASYM that I often use with JRB quilts (and I love my JRB quilts!), but found that I most often went back to the Speer system for backpacking trips because I could save a few ounces, plus it (Speer) serves as a better chair than the HH.

I recently bought a WB Blackbird double 1.0 that I will get to try out this weekend, with the JRB quilts. I am inclined to think that this will become my new favorite combination, but the Speer system with Peapod remains the lightest overall, so I imagine that I will still use it from time to time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    It was quite expensive, that's why I never bought it. It was a good idea, though.
    Dang! I meant to include that in the poll! I always mess these pols up, every time on the few I have done!

The expense also kept me away for a while. The all at once up front dollars. However, I finally decided that- assuming a person could afford that much all at once- it was actually somewhat of a bargain. Because, you are kind of buying both UQ and TQ AND a fairly functional hood, all at the same time.

Same thing for the weight. It seems a bit heavy at 1st glance. But, again, it is more than just an UQ, so of course it will weigh more. At least I did include "too heavy" in the poll.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I owned one for a short while, and honestly felt they were too heavy and too large for what they offered. I sold it after one trip.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast