Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings

Ordered a Jungle Hammock & Fly

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and in fact I have coveted a camping hammock for some time now. Based on my research here and at other sites I decided that the Claytor Jungle Hammock was the best for my requirements. So, I ordered one yesterday. Tom seems to be on the ball, and I have learned it will be shipping shortly.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to write about their opinions and experiences with all hammocks (not just this one, or this brand). It has helped me choose from the rather large range that is available.

Undoubtedly I will have some questions when it arrives, and stories to tell.

Thanks,

A

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    A, I have only been hammocking for a few months, but I have bought, sold, traded and made hammocks, and I LOVE MY CLAYTOR best of all. You have made a wise choice in my opinion.
    One thing I did after I got mine was to order a Sportsman 9 x 9 tarp. I cut and sewed a cat cut in it, which is a way to make them pitch tighter. After looking at it when I was done I thought maybe the cat cut job did not leave me with the coverage I wanted, so I put it on the floor and got out the stock Claytor tarp. IT WAS THE SAME SIZE!, 9x9. So, I think you will be happy with it even if you leave it stock.
    Neo is the man when it comes to Claytors.
    Congratulations and welcome.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF ame.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome ame!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and in fact I have coveted a camping hammock for some time now. Based on my research here and at other sites I decided that the Claytor Jungle Hammock was the best for my requirements. So, I ordered one yesterday. Tom seems to be on the ball, and I have learned it will be shipping shortly.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to write about their opinions and experiences with all hammocks (not just this one, or this brand). It has helped me choose from the rather large range that is available.

Undoubtedly I will have some questions when it arrives, and stories to tell.

Thanks,

A
    good for you,you have made the best,the wisest and most sacred decision on buying this awesome hammock. neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    The Claytor is definitely a good, solid hammock. My only complaint about it (that I couldn't fix with relatively minor modifications) thus far is the weight, but that's the trade you make for a great price and durable materials.

Go ahead and get yourself some paracord, spectra rope, or whatever you want and can afford to use for guy lines for the tarp (I don't think many people use the stock ropes that come with their hammocks, they seem to always be cheap junk), and get some polypro webbing straps from Ed Speer. The nylon Claytor straps stretch way too much. I tried to go cheap and stick with my stock straps and found myself **** near on the floor by morning!

I use the ring buckle system as described on Jeff's page: www.tothewoods.net

...and I love it. Welcome aboard.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-12-2007 at 05:49. Reason: Changed link from .com to .net

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. I have been reading a lot more on the site about hammocks in general, and it all looks good. I am sure I will find answers to my questions before I even ask, except perhaps this one:

The Claytor hammock has a double layer, to allow an insulating pad to be inserted. Is the "lower" layer close to the "upper" layer? I assume that when one's weight is in the hammock the upper layer (on which you are lying) is taut, but is the lower layer taut too? The reason for asking is I am wondering if there is an air space between the two layers when lying in the hammock.

I am trying to plan ahead for webbing straps, ropes and insulation. Insulation is what I am thinking about at the moment. Of course I could just wait until it is delivered...

A

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. I have been reading a lot more on the site about hammocks in general, and it all looks good. I am sure I will find answers to my questions before I even ask, except perhaps this one:

The Claytor hammock has a double layer, to allow an insulating pad to be inserted. Is the "lower" layer close to the "upper" layer? I assume that when one's weight is in the hammock the upper layer (on which you are lying) is taut, but is the lower layer taut too? The reason for asking is I am wondering if there is an air space between the two layers when lying in the hammock.

I am trying to plan ahead for webbing straps, ropes and insulation. Insulation is what I am thinking about at the moment. Of course I could just wait until it is delivered...

A
    Although I don't have a Claytor, the only sensible answer to your question is "yes, the two layers are both taut". For a pad to be giving you insulation, it needs to be flush up against the upper body with you flush down on the upper body.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    There's no space between the layers.

The Claytor has a real simple design. I think it would be real easy to make one at home.

It's essentially three rectangles of material, all the same size. The actual hammock, the camo material, is on bottom, then a rectangle of a thinner material (some sort of nylon I'm thinking) on top of that, then a rectangle of no-see-um on top of that. The layers are sewn together on three sides, a zipper is attached to hold the no-see-um to the camo material on the fourth side, and a channel is sewn into the ends (that's where the straps, or rope if you use a ring buckle system, go through).

Try using a pad for insulation before you lay down the cash for an underquilt, especially if you already have a pad lying around the house. With the two layers it's easy to use a pad because you don't stick to the darn thing. If you go with an underquilt, I think the JRB Nest would work with the Claytor. I believe the Jacks have a picture on their site of the Nest attached to a Jungle.

I've considered giving the Kickass Quilt Potomac a try. It's cheaper, and with a DIY you could make it in camo...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast