Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

I call it the "incinerator"

In planning for some upcoming serious cold weather hanging, I was trying to figure out a way to utilize two underquilts to augment my sleep system. Since I have a 3-season incubator and a winter incubator (having been in Ohio giving Jen and Adam a hand, it would be a shame for me not to ,) I decided to try creating a type of "peapod" system.

Very simple to do. Hang the Winter Incubator as normal under the hammock. Utilizing a bit of shockcord and some S-biners and the existing tabs on the incubators, I attached the 3-season on top the following way:

Attach the foot end, tab to tab around the foot of the hammock.

Attach the next two tabs with progressively longer pieces of shockcord, to avoid compressing the down on the Underquilt. Make these adjustable by tying one end of the shockcord to the upper incubator, looping under the hammock. Run a cordlock through the cord, then loop the shockcord up through the tab on the upper incubator, and back down through the cordlock. Makes it much easier to dial in the right tension to the upper incubator without compressing the down in the lower UQ.

The next tab, I joined using just an s-biner and a length of shockcord with a loop tied into the end. This stays disconnected until after I enter the hammock. Once I am in the hammock, I reach underneath the hammock, grab the shockcord and clip the loop through the s-biner.

The last connection is not really a connection. I was trying to figure out what to do with the shockcord for the suspension of the incubator. What I ended up doing was running the end of the hammock THROUGH the loop of shockcord that makes up the suspension. A little hard to see in this pic, but it snugs the topquilt down to the hammock.

That's it. I used my Winter Burrow inside this, and I am very confident that it will get me sub 0 easily. I don't know why you couldn't use this to create the same type of system with different manufacturers UQ's, but the shape of the incubators and the matching tabs lends itself to creating this type of system easily.

OK, now I have to put a disclaimer per some feedback I have received, and I am happy to do so. I am a friend of Adam and Jen, and I have been helping them out. I AM NOT an employee of theirs and do not receive money or compensation from them, but while I have been traveling I have actively participated in helping them out when I am in Ohio, much as I would help ANY friend of mine. Those of you who know me, know this about me. I own quilts and hammocks from just about every manufacturer, and I use them all (again, anyone who has ever been on a hang with me would know how much gear I carry, and how widely varied it is.) I would participate in helping ANY of my friends or other manufacturers if I knew they needed it (Paul from Arrowhead got the original design for his BBO from me when he was first starting out, and I have loaned equipment to many different people over my time here,) as I do not have a bias based on friendship or money. But I do love my quilts from Hammockgear the most, and not just because they are friends of mine, but because THEY WORK THE BEST FOR ME. Not to say some manufacturer will come along and make something in the future that will work better for me (and I will certainly purchase things from other manufacturers,) I always try to be fair and unbiased, and wish others here would make the same admission to being friends or sharing commonalities with certain manufacturers when they post their comments. As I said above, I don't know why you couldn't do this with another manufacturers quilts, only that it is incredibly easy to do this with two incubators.

Happy Hanging, everyone.
    Last edited by fin; 12-12-2010 at 16:38. Reason: Added bold to a few words

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Very interesting I'll bet the "incinerator" will keep you warm.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    It sounds very interesting but your pictures didn't make it into the post.
    Try again, fixed the links.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Try again, fixed the links.
    Yeah the pictures came up right after my original post.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    hey, that looks sweet.

I've always wondered with peapod type things though: how does sleeping on the diagonal still work?

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    As someone who is always cold, I LOVE THE NAME! Very nice, Finn! Now you need a big fat down pilllow under your head.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    hey, that looks sweet.

I've always wondered with peapod type things though: how does sleeping on the diagonal still work?

TH
    A little tight, but doable. Using shockcord helps a lot, because you can push out with your feet and not worry about stressing the quilt. I am lengthening the shockcord tonight to let it move a little more.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Very nice. If you were here in MN right now the sub-zero weather would be perfect for a trial run.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Man those look nice Fin, this time next year, I am gonna have a set of em. What a disclaimer, whew. Wife and I are hanging outside tonight. Low of 12 with windchill of negative 12. Test our makeshift UQ combined with pads and sleeping bags and see what we can do. Have also made socks with IX and space blankets. Will be fun, specially since we are only a few feet from the door and the woodstove.

Now ya gotta get that thing outside. Looks like N. WI. is getting pounded, we are sposed to have 17 inches before it is all done. Good to see you here.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Have also made socks with IX and space blankets.
    Make sure you have enough venting! The first thing people do when they test homemade socks is they don't leave enough venting, and get a nice coating of frozen condensation on the inside of their hammock socks and a damp sb. Believe me, I went through the same thing when I was playing around with different hammock sock material! Especially with IX and space blankets - the IX is a little better than a space blanket, but not much! I'd wrap the IX and space blanket around the body of the hammock, but leave your head free or you will be swimming/cracking ice in the morning! Good Luck!

• + New Posts