Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

Stanislaus National Forest, Dec 11th, 12th

This was a quick overnighter to the snow, Three of us, David, Greg and myself, met up in the Bay area and drove up to the Pinecrest area, in the STanislaus National Forest ( California). The weather forecast called for a 30% chance of precipitation on Saturday, sunny on Sunday. After someone almost calling it off, we went for it and the weather was great. We decided on a somewhat short hike in, sice we didn't have much daylight, and we had some new, unfamiliar gear to play with. We did a 4.5 mile loop, with snowshoes and one on crosscountry skis.
    David was trying out his homemade pulk and some cross country skis; Greg was trying out my Tarptent Sublite Sil, and my comfy Exped Down 9. I was the only hammocker with my Warbonnet Traveller, BigMamaJamba in sil, 3s Crowsnest and my custom Javan Dempsey Quilt, with 3.25 inches of loft.
    There wasn't a whole lot of snow. Some places were soggy, others crunchy, nothing too hard.
    We decided to camp in a nice meadow, near a creek that had a bit of water running through the ice.
    I don't think I can comment next to individual pictures, so I'll try to explain them here.
    The pack leaning against David's truck, is my Osprey Hornet 42L, which surprisingly fit all my winter gear.
    David was eager to try his pulk, which he was happy with, but decided to change a bit before the next trip; it mainly had to do with the PVC pipes hitting his butt. He was very happy with his good old Duomid as his shelter.
    Greg borrowed some gear and really liked the warmth and comfort of the Exped 9. The sublite was a bit small for him for winter, as the condensation wet his sleeping bag.
    We retired to our shelters at 6:30 pm and had a looooooong night ahead.
    I had my tarp in porch mode for a while, but as we went to bed, it was getting colder than expected, so I pitched it down, and closed the doors. I rigged up a little suspension with pins and shockcord, for my underquilt. Prior to leaving for the trip, I could not find my Gossamer Gear pad, so I brought my Ridge Rest instead. I though I could get away with not using it, also because I thought the stiffness of this pad, would push the sides of the Crowsnest further away from me, which I did not want. I kept waking up every half hour or so with a bit of CBS, until FINALLY around 10 pm I reached down and grabbed the pad and wiggled it under me. After that I was out until 9:20 in the morning!!
    We don't know how cold it actually got. I left one of my Gatorade bottles with water on the ground, and it was frozen, but not all the way through.
    It was a nice quick outing, with plenty of time to set up our camp, make a fire, etc. David and Greg dug down into the snow to have nice vestibules, so they could step out of their shelters, instead of crawling.
    I showed off my homemade noseeum snakeskins, and how easily and quickly I was set up and sipping hot cocoa while lounging from my Traveller.
    Thanks for all your help and inspiration.

Photo0393.jpg

Photo0396.jpg

Photo0407.jpg

Photo0404.jpg

Photo0410.jpg

Photo0411.jpg

Photo0417.jpg

Photo0423.jpg

Photo0422.jpg

Photo0419.jpg
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 12-12-2010 at 23:36. Reason: missed mileage and corrected something

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Thanks for sharing your trip and pics. I wish I was using a hammock when I spent time between the Stan and the Moke. I really like that area. I'm planning a trip back to the central valley next year to visit some family. I'm either going to the Clark Fork area or between Cal Big Trees and Alpine Lake while I'm there.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thanks for the report and pics mtngoat...........would love to make it out there and see some of that part of the country someday!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the report and pics
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images
    Thanks Musejr, Bigbamaguy and mbiraman! I had a really nice time and can't wait to get out again. Which pad do you think is warmest/ lightest ( I know, I know)? How does the Ridgerest compare to say, an Evazote?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Very cool.... Thanks for the pics and report...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts