Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner

First Sub-Freezing Hang

Upon the arrival of my new WB Superfly tarp that I will primarily use for my winter tarp I decided to see how my setup would work in sub freezing weather. We were forecasted to be in the mid to upper 20's with snow, freezing rain, and rain overnight. Do I need any other excuses to get out in my hammock as fast as I could?

The setup:
    HH Exped. Asym, WB Superfly tarp, AHE Lost River 2/3 UQ, 20* Mummy bag

Right off the bat I knew that my UQ was only rated to 30 degrees and that I would be pushing it, but I'm a warm sleeper and I wanted to see just how far I could push it. I plan on upgrading to a winter UQ in the near future.

I was a little worried about becoming the newest member of CBS, but much to my surprise I never really got a bad case of it. I did have a problem pop up a couple few times where the UQ wasn't sitting central to my hammock, so anytime I felt the slightest hint of CBS I would reach underneath and adjust the UQ. In the morning I later determined that it was sliding due to poor attachment to my hammock, and I may also invest in a few triangle thingies at some point down the road.

On a positive note, the superfly tarp was AWESOME
    It provided superior coverage, was not that noisy when the wind started whipping and the built in side pull tabs made it very roomy inside. Out of curiosity I only pulled out one side of the tarp to see what the difference was. HUGE difference. I think if I were out backpacking and not just in my back yard I would have gotten back out and pulled out the other side.

I think with temps hovering just below freezing (thermometer said 25 last I looked before heading out to the hammock for the night) I was at the max for that sleeping system. I think when investing in a winter uq I will go full length to help myself keep it more centralized to the hammock and I won't have to wake up in the night with CBS because its slipped on me.
    Last edited by Otis_Hiker; 12-12-2010 at 09:24.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    You might want to try attaching an adjustable bungee with mitten hooks. To the middle of each side of your UQ. You can clip the mitten hooks to your ridge line. They should really help to keep your UQ in place.
    Terry

Images
    Excellent report Knox. I to have ordered a superfly for my winter tarp. Can't wait for it to arrive. I plan to do the same test you did.

Did you happen to take any picts of your new fly setup? Would love to seem them. I'm told the superfly comes with no ridgeline or attachment lines. What did you use?

thanks

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I wish I was out this week. Thanks for sharing.
    I have used a Lost River on my HH Exped and asym tarp. It worked well down to 25*. I used a mini biner on the shock cord and pinched the shock cord over the ridge line. I ran the shock cord doubled through the biner on the side of the hammock tie outs. This helped keep the UQ under me in the direction I was laying. I haven't needed any shock cord in the middle of the UQ if I set it up this way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey OH:

You beat me to it. I recieved my WB SF a couple of weeks ago and my full length incubator yesterday. I was going to hang last night, but wife wanted to go out to dinner.
    I am going to send the tarp out for pole mod in place of the tie outs as I used a tarp with a pole mod last spring and the pole mod was sweet. Let me know if you want to use my WI

M.Bird

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    You might want to try attaching an adjustable bungee with mitten hooks. To the middle of each side of your UQ. You can clip the mitten hooks to your ridge line. They should really help to keep your UQ in place.
    I just so happen to have a few spare mitten hooks kicking around thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Excellent report Knox. I to have ordered a superfly for my winter tarp. Can't wait for it to arrive. I plan to do the same test you did.

Did you happen to take any picts of your new fly setup? Would love to seem them. I'm told the superfly comes with no ridgeline or attachment lines. What did you use?

thanks
    No pics of last nights hang as I was too anxious to hop right in the hammock. You are correct in there being no ridgeline/attachment lines. I had some lines hooked up to a OES MacCat Deluxe that I stole for temporary use while testing it out last night. I do plan however to invest in some Self Tensioning Lines from JRB for my superfly as I did experience a little bit of sag after setup last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Hey OH:

You beat me to it. I recieved my WB SF a couple of weeks ago and my full length incubator yesterday. I was going to hang last night, but wife wanted to go out to dinner.
    I am going to send the tarp out for pole mod in place of the tie outs as I used a tarp with a pole mod last spring and the pole mod was sweet. Let me know if you want to use my WI

M.Bird
    I couldn't hold out any longer! I knew I was pushing the limits of the AHE UQ so I wasn't brave enough to tempt last weeks 8* weather because I knew I'd be running back inside at some point during the middle of the night, so when I saw that it was in the mid 20's last night I just darted for the woods behind my house! When you do test out the SF though you will not be disappointed! And the pole mod should work out well in place of the panel pulls. Thanks for the offer on the WI... I will keep that in mind.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

• + New Posts