Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images

Tarp Pullouts -- No Sew Option(almost) -- with pics

In a recent thread about adding tarp pullouts there was mention of using silicone adhesive to glue patches to the tarp, thus eliminating the sewing of circles in the middle of a tarp. This got to me to pondering the possibility, given that I've avoided adding pullouts for the sewing challange (I usually like to find the easiest way). So here is my experiment. I wanted to test things out before committing my tarp.

Method
    Silnylon circles 3, 4, 5, and 6" were cut out for pullout patches. the attachment point are 1/2" nylon webbing, 2" long, backed with some 300D PU coated packcloth. The webbing was box-stitched. The patches were then glued to larger silnylon pieces to simulate placement on a tarp. The silicone was GE Silicone II, straight from the tube. It was brushed onto the patches in a thin layer, leaving it shy of the perimeter by about a 1/2". The silicone was then squeegeed with a plastic card, making a smooth, uniform layer under the patch to the very edge. The excess was removed with a paper towel. Then it was left to cure for a week (then time until I could take up the experiment again).

Testing
    A carabiner was used to attach gallon jugs of water, then the piece was hoisted allowing the weight of the water to pull on the patch.

Results
    The 3" patch easily held 2 gallons of water before showing signs of delamination at the webbing backing. The 4, 5, and 6" patches held 3 gallons with no signs of delamination.

Conclusions
    The force of the stress was in line with the direction of the webbing. On the larger patches, the distance from the end of the webbing to the edge of the patch was greater. This was where the most force seemed to be concentrated. The 3" patch was too small in this respect. On future patches, an elliptical or diamond shape, oriented longways with the webbing, would be a good way to maximize the material where the force is greatest. Something about 4" wide by 7" long.

The polyurethane coated nylon backing used to reinforce the webbing attachments did not adhere to the silicone. This was especially evident in the 3" patch, as seen in the last picture. The larger patches did not show this delamination, because the larger surface area distibuted the force better. Using silnylon to reinforce the sewn attachement point should eliminate this problem.

The silicone adhered very well. It was difficult to even partially remove the 3" patch. It actually began to tear the fabric. It this pic, it's clear to see where the PU coating prevented the silicone from adhering well.

Overall I was very pleased with the results. This is definitely how I will attach my pullouts. I'll try a different shape patch before I actually put these on my tarp. This was I fairly quick process to make the patches, and glue them on. It could be done easily in 1-2 hours depending on your sewing skills. This isn't technically a "no-sew" option, but it eliminates sewing a patch on to the side a tarp.

(I couldn't figure out to attach the pics in the body of the post, so they all ended up at the end.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Awesome post, Detail Man! I've been mulling over trying this with my next tarp. Looks like that's what I'll be doing!

I feel a sticky coming...

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Interesting test. I might have to take a look at this a little closer. Thanks for sharing your results.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I am intrigued. I want pull outs but don't want to put holes in the tarp by sewing them on, even though I know I can seal the holes.
    Thanks for the post, I definitely will be doing that in a few weeks. I'm thinking 2 per side cause my tarp is a bit long.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Good science!

And gives me some ideas.

I wonder how patches made from sil-nylon would adhere? They could be hot-cut, possibly sewn of several layers for stiffness (different diameters). I am thinking grosgrain with LineLocks for my application.

Like you and others, I do not care for the idea of juggling a tarp within the confines of a thread injector. I will leave that for the pros.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Jim

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very good! We love to see that kind of testing, w/ pictures no less.
    I think you've got a very good method there. Much easier than sewing the patch on too! Thanks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Excellent report. Thank you for taking the time to post your idea and findings.

Images
    i don't think that will be a permanent solution, it may hold for a little while but i think it will eventually start to seperate, why not just throw some stitches around the patch, will be easy since it's glued on

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i don't think that will be a permanent solution, it may hold for a little while but i think it will eventually start to seperate, why not just throw some stitches around the patch, will be easy since it's glued on
    Ditto. Keep us keyed in on long term results.

Honestly, adding the side panel pulls is my least favorite part of building tarps. I like this method for the initial addition of the pulls, but for my own work I would sew the patch on as well afterwards.

Your squeegee technique is a very important key factor in getting the silicone to glue the pieces together properly. Excellent idea.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Great job, nice bit of research. Thanks.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast