Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

7 Deg monday night Nashville Tn

Wow I cant wait I have been to 0 with my WW4 UQ but since then I have got a winter CN or I guess now its the Phoenix. It took along time to dial it in and get the gap it had to seal properly. So here we go I will see if I can get to some truly cold temps.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Yeppers. I plan to hang in my yard (here in Nashville) tomorrow night also!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have the south side (Boro) covered

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hung last night. No UQ. I don't have one. Did use HH's foam underpad and a "space blanket" I got at REI and modified with shock-cord attachments. So, the wind was blocked. On top I used my extra-large sil-nylon multi-purpose pack cover, also attached with shock cords.

I used my Exped 7.5 inflatable down-filled sleeping pad and my old Holubar sleeping bag (down, weighs 4 lbs 6 oz).

Wore socks, long-john bottoms, t-shirt and zip-turtle neck long-john top. Also balaclava, buff, scarf, and down hood.

Also I used a Nalgene full of hot water, wrapped in a t-shirt. Was still warm this morning.

Digital thermometer hanging on hammock chain from tree read a low of 5.2 degrees. Almost no breeze.

I was toasty all night. Here are some pics showing the space blanket attached to the bottom, the pack-cover over the top, and with the rain fly.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Hung last night. No UQ. I don't have one. Did use HH's foam underpad and a "space blanket" I got at REI and modified with shock-cord attachments. So, the wind was blocked. On top I used my extra-large sil-nylon multi-purpose pack cover, also attached with shock cords.

I used my Exped 7.5 inflatable down-filled sleeping pad and my old Holubar sleeping bag (down, weighs 4 lbs 6 oz).

Wore socks, long-john bottoms, t-shirt and zip-turtle neck long-john top. Also balaclava, buff, scarf, and down hood.

Also I used a Nalgene full of hot water, wrapped in a t-shirt. Was still warm this morning.

Digital thermometer hanging on hammock chain from tree read a low of 5.2 degrees. Almost no breeze.

I was toasty all night. Here are some pics showing the space blanket attached to the bottom, the pack-cover over the top, and with the rain fly.

Rain Man

I sure a glade to hear that you had a good night's sleep. I had to bail out I just got tired of messing with it. I can't get the CBS out of this WCN. I have had other quilts and have not had this problem. I may be selling this thing and going back with the WM4 again. I had plenty of clothes on the whole nine yards. Last winter I slept in my mw4 ( that I sold ) in the same weather in just base layers and was just as war as I would have been in my bed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad it is doing the job for ya'!!!!!
    C'mon up here and test it out more......

-6º last night.....slept out in the hammock. Stayed warm and slept in until 8:15AM.
    Warbonnet Black Mamba TQ.....Winter Yeti, FrankenQuilt UQ under feet and legs.....weather-shield...... no pad...... two pair of wool socks ....two BlackRock hats....fleece mask...balaclava.
    Whooooooo Buddy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

That Exped DAM 7 or 9 is a real winner for extending ones sleep comfort in the colder temps and pure comfort !

Stayed out sunday night -14*F, Wiggys Ecot 20*F bag used as peapod, Featherd Friends winter wren bag, 26 x 60 foam reflective windshield liner for pad in Exped hammock. 3 pair wool socks, WOOL long johns, two WOOL sweaters. WOOL balclave, watch cap. No tarp, light cotton over cover.
    Sleepet like a baby, never got cold. Some frost in cotton over come morning.
    No dampness in sleep system.

fourdog

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I sure a glade to hear that you had a good night's sleep. I had to bail out I just got tired of messing with it. I can't get the CBS out of this WCN. I have had other quilts and have not had this problem. I may be selling this thing and going back with the WM4 again. I had plenty of clothes on the whole nine yards. Last winter I slept in my mw4 ( that I sold ) in the same weather in just base layers and was just as war as I would have been in my bed.
    Well an MW4 is hard to beat. One of those items that works about every time for most folks in most hammocks, just not that hard to get dialed in IMO. But, with a JRB BMBH, it is almost impossible to not have it dialed in on the 1st shot.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I sure a glade to hear that you had a good night's sleep. I had to bail out .... I had plenty of clothes on ....
    To me it's all those clothes you were wearing. Counter-intuitive, but too many clothes will make you colder in a good sleeping bag, not warmer (IMHO). I strip down to long johns.

BTW, you have any interest in joining the "Nashville Backpackers" Meetup.com group? We have two hikes coming up in January and February. Long Hunter and Montgomery Bell State Parks.

Rain Man

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I had a good nights sleep on the south end of town. Low on my guage was 7*. I used Leigh' prototype full length 3season UQ and a 3season TQ. I started out with my down jacket but ditched it. Micro fleece top & bottom and was toasty warm.

Waiting for some more single digits for more testing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast