Images

Excited and anxious at the same time Re: PeaPod!

Well, by way of the Christmas commercial spirit, I suppose, I've done it now! I ordered a 20* PeaPod, which should be here in a day or two. I justified it as an answer to my wife asking me (repeatedly) what I wanted for Christmas. But I no sooner ordered it than I started having slight misgivings/second thoughts.

First of all is cost. Though I can afford this, I think I almost feel a little guilty spending this king of dough when I already have a much less expensive SS which, though admittedly not very popular around here, I have managed to make work for me OK, especially considering weight and cost and the extra wind/rain protection that comes with the sil-ny UC.

Second, because I sometimes take these trips that are 2 long days or more from any trail-head or help, I tend to favor synthetics. So I have not quite come to peace with that yet. I have a friend who recently bought a PP on sale ( a warmer weather model) and I'm sure his super positive review helped push me over the edge. But he talked to Ed about wet down worries. He felt better when Ed reminded him of a basic hammocking advantage: we are not on the ground. Which removes a huge factor in getting wet. That is absolutely true, it is a huge advantage, but it still doesn't overcome Murphy's law. I reminded him of the time a month or so back when the weather was warm, he was laying in his hammock during an all night rain, and he woke up to water steadily dripping in his face from a leaky tarp, a high quality tarp that had not seen more than 2 weeks use total. That would have been real trouble if it had been cold and he had a PeaPod ( or NoSniv/Nest), off the ground or not. I also think of the time long ago when another buddy of mine woke up to find a branch and a big load of snow in his face, the branch snapped from heavy snow, then penetrating his tarp. As it contiued to snow hard all night. It's amazing the crap that can happen. I love down garments for the same reasons as every one else, but wet insulation is always a worry for me when I am way deep in the wilderness. I feel a little more secure with the synthetic HH UQ in this regard, even though it could soak up water. But I think it could be gently sqeezed out and would dry quicker.

Plus, I am going to have to shift to my Speer, which has not QUITE ( almost though) yet matched my HH for comfort. Though it has other advantages. Anyway, I'm gonna try it, and I am looking forward to several aspects of it. And I guess if I really love it, but can't quite manage to be satisfied with my Speer, I can just cut the net off my HH and use the PeaPod on it.

I am looking forward to trying it out!

Then of course, there was the difficulty of choosing between the PeaPod and the Snugfit and even harder: between the PeaPod and the NoSniveler with it's multiple use capabilities. I am thinking of this discussion by JustJeff:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=PeaPod

Something to keep in mind is the multi-use aspect of the JRB quilts (NS and Stealth). I save the weight of a jacket in my pack by carrying the JRB...so even though the weights are similar, my pack is ~15 oz lighter if I use the JRB.
    Yes, that is a major consideration. However, I'm wondering if this multiple use insulation thing can't also work in reverse? Here is what I mean: I am taking a BMW Cocoon Polarguard parka ( about 14-16 oz?) and pants (8oz) with me anyway on cold trips. In the damp Olympics of WA last Sept, I found that I did not need a sleeping bag/quilt in the mid to hi 40s, and just the SS under me. In the low 40s, I woke up at 0700 just a little cool. So, 5 or 10* warmer ( say 50*) should be fine without a quilt, for me. So that is roughly 20-25* protection from the jacket/pants I already have with me. But, if I use this as part of my sleep system in the PeaPod, shouldn't I be able to sleep below 40 and maybe to 30* without a quilt, or at least with only a very thin, lightweight quilt? So, instead of saving weight/bulk by using you quilt as your camp ( or trail?) insulation, couldn't you just as well use your trail/camp insulation as part of your sleep system, saving weight on the amount of quilt you need, or if warm enough, with no quilt at all? Opinions wanted, please!

Of course, it is claimed that the PeaPod can be used as a camp parka, but it looks pretty awkward to me for this use, when compared to the NoSniveler. Though it looks very warm, but it doesn't look convenient.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    IMO, and since you asked, I think you need to accept the fact that you bought yourself a great Christmas present and just enjoy the heck out of it.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

sleeping in insulation

BB58--
    I routinely sleep in insulated warm camp clothes, and use a sleeping bag or quilt that is rated more warmly than temps go.

My main quilt has been a JRB Stealth, rated to 50 or mid 40s. Have for a couple of years used Marmot driclime jacket and pants with this, to 30 anyway. In my ground-dwelling days I'd be in a bivy bag too for the cold ones. I've graduated to warmer Montbell Thermawrap top and bottom, thanks to steepandcheap

In bear country I take care not to be wearing this stuff when I'm eating. It would be my luck that Yogi comes sniffing around to check out a a bit of splashed food on my PJs.

Grizz

• + New Posts