WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Prusik's or mini line lock's on tarp tie out's.

Just trying to sum up if I should opt for whoopie.com tarp tie out's or buy some 1.75mm Utility line from Arrow head equipment and some of the small line lock's from the HF store ??

I have the whoopie.com tie's on my current tarp, I know the prusik's hold fine in the wind but I'm thinking I could mount the line lock straight onto the tarp and adjust from there.
    This would eliminate me having to do all the adjusting down in the dirt at the stake too, (Read as - might be easier....)
    Also I have a quantity of the 1.75 line at home already so wouldn't need to buy much more.

Do the line lock's hold as well as the prusik's do if used like this on a tarp ??

Tarp will probably be a custom OES rectangle in SpinnUL - 10.5' ridgeline, 9.5' wide, 4 tie out's each side with Cat cut so I can use the ends like door's.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Do you mean Linelocs, or Clamcleat Line-Loks? The names are often interchanged, resulting in lots of confusion.
    I ask, because Linelocs are kinda iffy with line smaller than 2.0mm.
    Can you turn your existing system around, and maybe larkshead the prussik onto the tarp tieout?

To answer your question about holding power, I have Linelocs on all the tieouts of my 12x10, and it has held up wonderfully in fairly blustery conditions. If it looks like they'll slip, I just put a slippery half hitch behind them. Haven't broken one yet.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Do a search for ^shane^ and his guy line setup. That could help.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    ^shane^'s setup

It is basically the same as you have described with the addition of shock cord between the Line-Lok and the tarp pullout to act as a tensioner.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    I set up a WD tarp with a pole mod last week to see how it would do in the MN, WI blizzard. The tarp tie outs are Speer no tangle line with both a prussic and a line-lok tent cleat. The door tie outs are Arrowhead 3/32 shock cord with a line-loc tent cleat. It worked better than I could have hoped for. Snow fall was around eighteen inches with wind gusts of up to 35 mph, present temp is minus 18 degrees fahrenheit. The line-loc tent cleats are great and easy to use even in the cold. I thought that they might freeze up but so far have not. They were in the HF store but right now, I can not find out how to open the store.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey,
    I grab some of the HF line locker things and they are great. The prusik works just as well but the locks I would see as a better performer is extreme wind.... I got the glow in the dark ones and tell myself that they are double benefit of holding the line and saving me from tripping over it.....I just couldn't resist another purchase the tweak the set up with... and hey , needed some other stuff to add to the min beners I ordered from HF to get value out of the freight.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post
    I'm thinking I could mount the line lock straight onto the tarp and adjust from there.
    This would eliminate me having to do all the adjusting down in the dirt at the stake too, (Read as - might be easier....)
    For the Whoopieslings, are you attaching the fixed eye or the prussic loop to your tarp? If you attach the prussic loop to your tarp and the fixed eye to the stake, then you can adjust the tension from under the tarp. That's how I have mine set up.
    Last edited by BurningCedar; 12-14-2010 at 07:52. Reason: typo
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    To answer your question about holding power, I have Linelocs on all the tieouts of my 12x10, and it has held up wonderfully in fairly blustery conditions. If it looks like they'll slip, I just put a slippery half hitch behind them. Haven't broken one yet.

PF

Ditto. had my tarp setup in a couple of good summer storms with with Line Locks from Arrowhead Equiment

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a set of smaller diameter tarp guylines with prusik adjusters and my experience in the field has been they are a real pain to adjust once they get tensioned up. Linelocs are MUCH easier to work with. I keep hearing that there are smaller Linelocs coming that work reliably with smaller diameter lines; I can't wait for that!
    Last edited by drewboy; 12-14-2010 at 08:33.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'm glad to see PF's report of line-locs doing okay in blustery winds. I've avoided using them because I seem to recall Happy Camper posting about one that broke. (HC, can you confirm?)

Then, there are Penberthy knots. See TeeDee's post about them. I like being able to adjust tarp-tieouts from under the shelter of the tarp. Penberthys can tighten up and be hard to adjust after they've been under tension, though. I've found that a small loop of string through the Penberthy end loop serves as a "quick-release" pull to loosen the wraps around the main guy-line so adjustment is easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast