Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    It's the difference in protected area between a tent and hammocking that raises the question. It is mostly the lack of protected floor space that I am looking at.

Changing activities to keep clothes dry is an option, but I guess I am more looking at the fact that with a large abundance of snow, it gets into everything (much like sand on a beach). The shelter already has 2 feet of snow in it before I started setting up. Wind, stepping, changing, getting gear, etc. in a tarp (even in winter configurations) brings up the likelihood that everything is in danger of getting wet.

I really like the gear hammock ideas and will have to give those a try. I thought about the ground cloth option, but not sure how to keep the snow from covering it as well.
    It's much easier to shake off a ground cloth than it is to sweep out a tent!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I've had a recent revelation in regards to this. When there is incliment weather in camp, instead of pitching the tarp perpendicular to the prevailing wind, I put one of the ends towards it, and then cover that end with a poncho or beak. When I would put the side of the tarp towards the wind, it would shift enough to blow into the ends. With my new approach, it rarely shifts enough to blow precipitation into the "open" end.

Really the only thing a tent does better than a tarp is keep bugs out. They can be warmer too, but I can't use a hammock in one.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Last weekend where we camped the wind was blowing snow under the hammocks. I tied my boots up in a plastic grocery bag and everything else went in my pack on a small piece of Tyvek under my hammock. Everything stayed dry. But with a little larger piece of Tyvek I could roll the pack up in it.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    I've never "hinked" before... is that some sort of special activity? Pics?
    Never "hinked"?
    That´s very common in my part of the world.

Sorry, of course it should be hiked.........
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

Thumbs up mac's method

after reading this thread yesterday, i ran out to my local river with the hammock and jeff's gear hammock., to test out mac's method.

i love my wbbb shelf, but am day by day beginning to prefer the complete open feel of a net-less hmmk.

for history- i was hanging my jj gear hammock from my ridgeline under the tarp via prussiks.

yesterday, i slung the jj gear hmmk alongside my traveler and it functioned just like the wbbb shelf, with the awesome option of being movable. the jjgh corners are attached via prussik to the support lines, so can slide up to the head end, or down to the footend, or even be pushed over the hmmk ridgeline to the left or right side of the hmmk.

wow! THANKS MAC. !
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You are entyrely welcome!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Someone mentioned not to get wet in the first place. I use my DriDucks (Jacket & Pants) to keep clothes dry while moving and it's a fair wind breaker addition too. Tyvek piece underneath and if it's blowing, I wrap everything in the Tyvek.

I have a gear hammock; but, haven't mastered using it *properly*.

Amazingly (to me!) was that throwing a hand warmer in the foot of my hammock with wet sox, gloves, pants dried them out by morning. Guess that depends on how wet and temps; but, it has worked a couple times. Haven't tried yet; but, considering wrapping all the wet stuff in a mylar emergency blanket with a hand warmer overnight.

I'm kinda clumsy and drying sox over a fire usually means I am down to one pair for the rest of the adventure
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    Haven't tried yet; but, considering wrapping all the wet stuff in a mylar emergency blanket with a hand warmer overnight.
    The emergency blanket will be a vapor barrier so the moisture will have no place to go. I don't think this will achieve your desired outcome.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm kinda clumsy and drying sox over a fire usually means I am down to one pair for the rest of the adventure
    I met a guy on a trail out here one evening that had stepped through some thin ice into a creek that was about a foot deep. One foot had gone through and soaked his boot and sock. I had a fire going when he came into camp and asked to use it. He then proceeded to take out a sheet of aluminum foil and folded himself an envelope of sorts. He put on fresh socks and threw the wet one, along with the dry one, into the foil envelope then tossed it in the fire ring next to, but not in, the fire. In about 3 minutes steam was flowing out of the foil envelope and in about 20 minutes the dude was making a very happy face as he slid his feet into freshly fire-warmed, and dried, socks.

I keep meaning to try this in the fire-pit in the backyard, but never seem to think about it. I'm going to write a post-it note and staple it to my forehead.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Some great ideas. Looks like a gear bag/hammock is in my future.

but, considering wrapping all the wet stuff in a mylar emergency blanket with a hand warmer overnight.
    Interesting thought, but I don't think the mylar option will work as it is a moisture barrier. Water wouldn't have anywhere to go. Letting a warmer dry things would be nice.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast