Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: alaska

sorry if its hard to read im using a phone and i have a word limit so i cut stuff up to fit

used the uq last night and there were no cold spots at all and i slept the whole night through. i was a bit chilly on top without the oc but nothing an extra fleece blanket couldnt cure. the under quilt is allot easier to set up n take down then the ss and also easier to adjust. i do prefer a uq over the the ss in this set up with a larger tarp but the ss is still a great product. its just complicated and has a steep learning curve but it does have its advantages like windproof n water proof bottom which makes it perfect for the stock tarp in windy n stormy conditions. tom really should offer a underquilt nest type product to get in the lower single temps that the stock ss can never handle without adding extra insulation and weight.
    dont get me wrong i love the ss but it doesnt have the idiot proof set like an uq does. the ss has its place in my set up when im going for light weight and stealth and quick deployment like after a long days hike, but as for multi night camp outs or base camping or for general living like me the uq wins hands down. its warmer and offers allot more comfort then the ss does.

the next few nights should be in the low teens and with a wind gust up to 80 miles so im going to set up the hh with the ss and really see how she does in fowl weather. i will have my large tarp set up still with my eno ready to go if i do have to bail. the storm should last a day or two starting tomorrow n since i dont have work it will perfect for me to give the ss a real test

the good weather of kodiak is going to hold out till next week now, the forecast changed again but it will still be windy but you never know here

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    i envy you so much savory every moment.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    the next few nights should be in the low teens and with a wind gust up to 80 miles so im going to set up the hh with the ss and really see how she does in fowl weather. i will have my large tarp set up still with my eno ready to go if i do have to bail. the storm should last a day or two starting tomorrow n since i dont have work it will perfect for me to give the ss a real test
    Stay safe out there man, I'm enjoying your story.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Used to fly fish to the cannaries in Kodiak, but didn't camp out in the winter, so you're the man! Some years back one outfit used the beached Kalakala ferry for processing, which boat was/is pretty historic, called the "bullet" ferry and now back in Seattle. Right on the shore between the airport and town. Look it up in the library. Anyway, I've lived up there and my sister's still up in Kotzebue (a tad colder) with her brood, and I've seen all the cannery guys camped on the beaches throughout the SE. Good luck with the adventure. You DO want to find a boat in the late spring/early summer, so keep an eye out on the docks NOW and make contacts. If you ain't family, they mostly only hire people they've already met and got tired of saying "no" to. Good luck.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i am also liking your storey.hang in there man,do not let go of that positive attitude,and do not stop spreading the hammock word till that entire island is hanging comfortably.
    thanks for shareing your storey.
    bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    What this thread really needs is pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

there is a boat that does cannery work called the star of kodiak that they used after the tidal wave that wiped out the town. im working on the pics, im using a phone right now but ill find a way soon after that first check ill buy a cam.
    getting a boat if tuff but i have a contact with pacific but after summer ill be able 2 try to find a boat 2 work on

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    What this thread really needs is pics!
    I agree. Let's see that HHSS in all of its splendor!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast