Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: alaska

it should snow the next few nights and the wind is really kicking up so i might have to go to the ground again. im sure my tarp will hold up though i built a little snow wall on the outside of the tarp.
    temps should stay in the 20s maybe lower at dusk.
    i stayed nice n toasty all weekend with the uq, but i will be in the ss and stock tarp tonight for this little storm for the next dew nights

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    it should snow the next few nights and the wind is really kicking up so i might have to go to the ground again. im sure my tarp will hold up though i built a little snow wall on the outside of the tarp.
    temps should stay in the 20s maybe lower at dusk.
    i stayed nice n toasty all weekend with the uq, but i will be in the ss and stock tarp tonight for this little storm for the next dew nights
    Hi blackout, With sleeping every night in the hammock are you having any condensation buildup issues in your sleeping bag? Have you noticed the bag getting heavier in the morning when you stuff it?

I can't imagine using my stock HH exped tarp in snow or high winds. I just don't get the coverage I need to feel protected. Hanging it low and bringing the sides down tight would still be iffy for me.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Pics...or it never happend
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

no pics yet i can only use my phone right not but soon.
    as condesation there is some but i leave my bag inside out all day n it dries out but there isnt alot. with the over cover the stock tarp is perfect. the ss is water and wind proof so there really isnt a need 4 a bigger tarp

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    A cell phone pic or three then? It would be fun to see your rig in action and maybe if possible some local shots ("Slime Line" sounds colorful)!

Images
    as condesation there is some but i leave my bag inside out all day n it dries out but there isnt alot. with the over cover the stock tarp is perfect. the ss is water and wind proof so there really isnt a need 4 a bigger tarp
    Over the years I have made various points(or had opinions) about some of the benefits of the HHSS, even when used with the light small stock tarp. Never has there been any one putting that to the test as you have been and will be! ( So far proving my opinions correct, even if you have some less positive experience in the future) I refer here mainly to my theories of the weather resistant qualities of even the stock tarp, if used with the SS Sil-nyl under cover.

Even though you have a larger tarp available, you have used the stock tarp in super challenging conditions. I mean, good grief, winter in Kodiak Alaska, with super challenging amounts of wind! What a long term test!

My real world experience over several years is minute compared to the amount you have gained already. Still, your results remind me of one of my involuntary tests. When one night I was providing comic relief as I was observed ( by my ground dwelling friends) to be pitching my stock HH tarp foot end open towards the nearby lake. Off of which was blowing a cold howling wind. No one warned me of my stupidity, but just laughed ( they told me the next day) about how I was going to freeze my butt off. (wouldn't matter if they had warned me, trees were hard to come by in that camp spot) They of course did not consider the SSUC. Except for the maddening noise of the flapping tarp, I would have never even known it was windy. The next morning every one else in camp was cold, un-rested and grumpy. There was one warm, well rested happy camper: me.

Seems to me you have already proven the HHSS to be a very viable option for severe weather. Not perfect for sure, but with it's own set of strong selling points. It won't matter much if you have some poor experiences in the future, because you could do that(due to overwhelming amounts of wind/rain/snow/fog) with any system out there.

thats the beauty of the ss it doesnt need a huge tarp to function like a uq would need.if i were to thru hike the pct again i would bring the ss over a uq because of the easy set up. just throw the pad in at night and you good to rest. i dont have to tie a tarp off or deal with any extra stress.
    the wind here is a pain in the rear end but i kinda of get a kick out of seeing the ss in action. like billy bob said i wouldnt know if it wasnt for the flapping tarp but with my ipod i dont even here that.
    i cant upload photos but i will be doing some vids once i get paid and can get a camera and send for my laptop but that wont be till i get a bunk to keep my stuff safe while im working.

the stock tarp offers enough coverage when pitched right, it does its job of keeping you dry even without the ss i have never had any up slash and wind drivin rain come into my hammock

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How's the work going there blackout? Have they got you working long hours?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

not till the 3rd iv just been hanging out lol
    iv been doing some cleaning and training but the real work doesnt start till next week then its 12 hours plus.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast