Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: alaska

It had to be one of the coldest nights for me in the ss. I'm pretty sure it was zero or lower just before sunrise. Kodiak is having a cold week so I'll be doing some testing on different set ups. Last night I did have to go ahead and add the uq on the outside of the of the uc it was just to cold for a basic setup.

It was 18 this morning I have no idea what the low was last night but I was very warmfor the most part. I used just used the ss with a sPaceblanket and a thermarest pad.
    It would be nice if hennessey offered a cold weather pad for the ss that could get down to zero without anything more then a spaceblanket.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    It had to be one of the coldest nights for me in the ss. I'm pretty sure it was zero or lower just before sunrise. Kodiak is having a cold week so I'll be doing some testing on different set ups. Last night I did have to go ahead and add the uq on the outside of the of the uc it was just to cold for a basic setup.
    What was your "basic" set up, the HH UC, OCF pad with sp.bl. on top of OCF pad, and thermarest in the hammock?

the ss with space blanket and an extra thermarest, i put the thermarest in the uc. it drives me insane when its in the hammock with me.
    my feet did get cold around 6am, im thinking about putting a place to hold a small pad at the foot end of my sleeping bag

Looks like I'll be working late on gear and won't be able to hang tonight

Images
    the ss with space blanket and an extra thermarest, i put the thermarest in the uc. it drives me insane when its in the hammock with me.
    my feet did get cold around 6am, im thinking about putting a place to hold a small pad at the foot end of my sleeping bag
    WOW! And that works? HH always claimed that a normal pad down in the UC would not work and would even mess things up. But I guess you have been doing it thus it must work?

Kwpapke, who was warm enough at minus 27F in a HHSS, used a pad in the UC. But it was a thin, wide flexible pad ( Exped Multimat ) and he laid his extra insulation ( down Parkas and/or 30f sleeping bag) on top of that pad, but under the HH pad. I always suspected that the Multimat, at 19 oz, would provide just enough sag in the UC to decrease it's tendency to compress the down insulation he added. And the down would be able to loft up and fill any gap caused by the pad. Plus the pad would still provide even more insulation at R value 1.2. While also being inside a 0F synthetic bag plus extra clothing, he reported being plenty warm at minus 27F.

But using just a thermarest pad inside the UC, without lofting insulation on top of the pad? Very interesting!

The uc is going to keep the wind of the air mat and therefore let it retain heat. I'm not sure why they say an extra pad will mess anything up. It's just holding air in one place so that your body can heat and insulate your underside.

But I will add blue wal mart pads or yoga matt's won't don anything and they retain water and I have some condensation issues when using them. Not saying they can't be used because I still do but inside the hammock directly under me and not in the uc. so maybe tom was talking about closed cell type pads.
    The ss pad is an open cell Pad so another open cell is just like having a thicker pad

One mOre thing is If you add to much like cloths and pads it does cause the uc to sag and separate from the oc letting in some wind and cold air

sorry i have not been updating, iv been out fishing and havent had anytime to hang
    it has been one of the coldest winters in kodiak in many years and i did spend a few night in well below 0 deggrees

but i think for the spring n summer i will be returning to the lower 48 fot a thru hike of the at or pct. im pretty much have tested the ss to the extream and it can function as a fast light set up for almost any kind of weather

has anyone used just the undercover without the pad and had good results on a cool night

Images
    sorry i have not been updating, iv been out fishing and havent had anytime to hang
    it has been one of the coldest winters in kodiak in many years and i did spend a few night in well below 0 deggrees

but i think for the spring n summer i will be returning to the lower 48 fot a thru hike of the at or pct. im pretty much have tested the ss to the extream and it can function as a fast light set up for almost any kind of weather

has anyone used just the undercover without the pad and had good results on a cool night
    I have in the past, but not enough to really say what it can do. I'm thinking it might add 10 or 15 or so? Maybe closer to 10, but if you just throw a fleece jacket down there you can go a lot lower. Probably might work better still using the space blanket also.

Sure would love more details about your findings. What is the coldest absolute temp you have gone, and what did you have to add to get er done?

What about wind, fog and sideways snow/rain? Did you find the UC to be a big help? Though I guess, if this is the only system you have, you wouldn't really be able to compare to without the UC. No, wait, don't you have a Nest UQ? How did using that alone on the HH compare with the HH UC system when it came to wind and sideways rain etc?

What did you ever add to the UC beside a pad? How did it work?

Did you ever try 2 HH pads, or the HH kidney/torso pads?

You must be the expert now, having used- even part time- an HHSS through an unusually cold Alaska winter. Y'all also had a ton of snow, right?

I remember when this started, lot's of us were worried about you, trying to use an HHSS in that kind of cold! Looks like you made it!

i think the coldest night was -10 or 15, i was warm so i cant tell you for sure, i was out of cell service so i couldnt check the temp

the nest doesnt work with the stock ss tarp beacuse of the high winds but does a great job when im using a big tarp. nothing compares to an underquilt i just preffer the ss because of the of the easy set up with snake skins and the weight compared to a large tarp and uq in a wind place such as kodiak
    iv taken a ss with a space blanket below 20 no problem.

a wind n water proff nest would be cool because i love the hh tarp and i just feel like a big tarp is a hassel. i have lost every big tarp i have used up here because of the high winds. set up and take down is almost inpossible if its not preloaded in snake skins

there has been a lot of snow fall this year but it rains a lot too making things kinda crazzy.

a wind proof nest might have condensation issues for some people, but its probadly the same people who have the issue with the ss. i dont sweat that much in the night and i only have build up on the over cover.
    i wouldnt mind trying out a prototype for the guys over there

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516