WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

Which way should I go? Thermarest Prolite 4, Neoair, or surplus ccf

I just got my WBBB and eventually want to use it as my year round shelter option. Still working on the budget to get a tarp and UQ. In the mean time I will be using a cheap poly tarp.

When it comes to pads I am wondering which way to go. I have a old green army surplus ccf pad, a thermarest prolite 4, and a large neoair. I have been camping year round rain sleet shine or snow in a tent and have been fine with a prolite 4 90% of the time and will supplement with the ccf during colder trips. Neoair is 40F and up pad(neoair is my wife's so only get to have access to it about 1/2 the time)

So my question is this. Does a prolite 4 work well enough in a WBBB, and about how low would this pad alone take me without supplementing with a ccf? How low would a prolite 4 and ccf take me? I known I can but other items to supplement such as the window shades etc, but I am trying to save my pennies for a incubator.

Any input is much appreciated!
    Last edited by The Rambler; 12-15-2010 at 07:48.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a hard time with the neoaor in the hammock bc it's so thin and the chambers are widthwise instead of lengthwise. Having a double layer hammock probably would have helped a lot, though. Now I'm saving that pad for trips across the big pond on a C-17.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I tried a Prolite, Exped and Neoair and like the Neo the best in a 1.7 double layer.

Images
    I have the large Neo (25x70) and thought that it was great in my WBBB 1.1 double. It was just over half inflated.

Weight wise I'm still waiting on a set of scales that I ordered to see if it is any better than just a plain blue pad.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Probably similar in weight to a blue ccf pad if you compare it to a 25" wide one. But it doesn't buckle like ccf does and it takes up A LOT less pack space.

The one I tried was a regular and I didn't use a double layer, so I'm not surprised that y'all got different results than me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    About what temp would the neoair be good down to? I use it on the ground down to about 35-40F, but realize it's a different game a few feet higher off the ground. I also forgot to mention that it is a 1.7dbl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
    About what temp would the neoair be good down to? I use it on the ground down to about 35-40F, but realize it's a different game a few feet higher off the ground. I also forgot to mention that it is a 1.7dbl
    I was around the house yesterday and it was 25ish. I had a MLD 30 degree underquilt and the neoair in between layers of the hammock, toasty warm. I'm not sure about just the pad by itself, thought I would test it later when it starts to warm up.

Jeff, while the neo takes up less space I'm quite certain that it isn't as warm as a foam pad.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    if you're sure about hanging and not tenting then he's what you should do...

sell your prolite and your neo air. use that money to invest in a high quality underquilt.

then you still have the CCF pad which, IMO, is better for hanging than either of the inflatables. just cut some darts in it to take care of the buckling. both pads will be heavier than it

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Neoair has been good into the 20s for me... on the ground or in the hammock, no difference, just pair it with something wider to block side breezes in the hammock and give coverage across the shoulders. I don't even inflate it halfway when used in the hammock.

Most pads are 20" wide - the NeoAir may seem narrower because it puts you higher off the ground. That would be the reason to select it over the other pad - the comfort. It's got a lower R value than a prolite, I believe, but is sufficient for 3 season use. But inflated about 3/4 of the way it does what the prolite or similar self inflating hasn't ever done, give me something comfortable to make ground sleeping more possible (I still don't sleep through the night, but I do get in an hour at a stretch before waking to roll over.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I have been trying to sell my prolite 4, just havn't found any takers just yet. I would still be tenting on the rare occassions (3-5) times a year my wife comes with me, so the neoair is just for her on those trips so I can't go selling it even though I would sure love the $. Maybe one day I can convert her to a hammocker, but for now for the irfrequency of her attendance I can't justify the cost.

Hopefully I can have enough $ saved up by late Jan or Feb to get an incubater or similar. Just trying to find a good pad combo in the meantime to get me through the winter. I usually don't see anything below 0F not counting windchill, with 5-10F being about the normal lows I experience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast