WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    If you like the lay of the WBBB you will like the Traveler. I find they lay about identical if set up identical (same length srl, angle of suspension). Think I'm leaning toward the Traveler. If buggy I go with the WBBB. Still tinkering with a tulle bug sock. If the sock works well the Traveler will probably become the primary hammock.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Good points made there MedicineMan. One thing that helps with the loss of the shelf is to add the ridgeline organizer & peak bag from 2QZQ.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    for those thinking of the pro's con's of the blackbird, in regard to an above post-
    if you feel closed in with the net zipped up unzip it and throw it over the ridgeline...
    if you don't like ducking under the side tie-outs don't tie them out, i've probably got
    40 nights in a blackbird and have only used the tie-outs once.
    for those that choose to use them, you don't actually have to duck under them. they're located in the shoulder/elbow area. you should be entering the hammock more toward the middle, the tieouts should be to your left as you are sitting down, you do have to left the net up over your head, but the lines shouldn't be an obstacle, just approach from the foot end.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My wife who is 5ft 3 loves her BB 1.0 as she has lots of room in it and has even turn completely around in it while sleeping. She did not realize she had turned around until I woke her up one morning on a camping trip.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    for those that choose to use them, you don't actually have to duck under them. they're located in the shoulder/elbow area. you should be entering the hammock more toward the middle, the tieouts should be to your left as you are sitting down, you do have to left the net up over your head, but the lines shouldn't be an obstacle, just approach from the foot end.
    No disrespect intended toward the Blackbird, it's a awesome hammock, just not my cup of tea. I've decided to remain an open hammock person, and use a bug net as needed. I'm trying to decide now if I want to go to the slightly narrower Traveler, or stay with my Trek Light double.
    KJ

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    No disrespect intended toward the Blackbird, it's a awesome hammock, just not my cup of tea. I've decided to remain an open hammock person, and use a bug net as needed. I'm trying to decide now if I want to go to the slightly narrower Traveler, or stay with my Trek Light double.
    KJ
    I love my Traveler. I suggest you at least try it. If you like your other one better it'll sell probably faster than your BB did.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    To me the Traveler does not seem to be narrower to sleep in than my ENO Double.. Maybe it is. I just didn't notice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    KJ

a hammock like the double is wider than necessary (imo). width is somewhat dependent on length. for a given length you can really only go so wide before you have extra fabric you're not using. if you want to go wider at this point, you should go longer as well, if i wanted a 6-7' wide hammock, i'd want it 11-12 feet long too. for a 10' hammock, 60-65" is all you need.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I too am 5'6 and prolly a bit fuller figured than you KJ . I recently bought a Traveler 1.1 double for non-buggy trips. Of course, it is quite a bit different than my Switchback (built in net). The SB net tends to keep the sides of the hammock body away from me so there is no floppy fabric.

The first thing I noticed laying in the Traveler was a little bit of flop but after moving more diagonal most of that goes away. Having tried a friends ENO double (essentially the same as the TL) I noticed two differences- not as much fabric to wrap around you, and the biggy- the Traveler doesn't have as much stretch to the fabric. All in all I am happy with the Traveler and will become more so with more nights in it. I received it a week before 20* weather and haven't had a chance to use it to it's full potential. BTW, it is VERY well made and the all inclusive RL and suspension was a BIG selling point for me; it is ready to rock and roll out of the box at a great price .
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Thanks millarky, that's what I was looking for. A head to head comparison between the Traveler & the Trek Light or Eno. Guess the only way to tell for sure is to get a Traveler and try it out. Brandon suggests a 1.7 single for me. I did notice with the Blackbird, that the less stretchy hammock fabric made it easier for me (with a recently surgically replaced knee) to get out of the hammock. That's a big plus.
    Thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-16-2010 at 09:13. Reason: xx

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast