TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

WB Traveler input

Ok, so I made a recent purchase of a WBBB, and after a few test drives found that it wasn't for me. Call me crazy, but I didn't like the closed in feeling with the net, and didn't like ducking under the side tie-out to get in & out. The shelf was cool, but not enough to out weigh the other stuff. Guess I'm just an open hammock kind of a gal. Luckily the Blackbird is such an awesome hammock I was able to find it a new home very quickly.
    I've been using a Trek Light double this past summer and like it a lot. Comfy & simple. The only negative I've found is that after I get my optimal diagonal position, there's a lot of excess fabric flapping near my head & sides. I can almost wrap the extra fabric across myself. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. So now I'm wondering about a WB Traveler???? Same length as my TL double, but 13 inches narrower. TL double is 120 X 78, Traveler is 120 X 65. The Traveler is closer in width to a Trek Light single @ 120 X 60.
    Any input from folks who have used either a Trek Light or Eno double, and also a Traveler would be lovely. Does the difference in width make that big of a difference in comfort. I'm 5'6" tall, and lets just say I'm more "full-figured" than "waif-like."
    KJ

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The Traveler is a very nice, simple, open, gathered end hammock.

It is narrower than a double, certainly, but it's still not a tiny hammock. There's plenty of room for folks quite a bit taller than you to be comfortable in. But when you lay on the diagonal, there will indeed be less extra fabric.

Note that the Traveler has whipped ends, rather than just a sewn end-channel like the ENO and Trek Lite. That means that the fabric spreads out from the end a little differently (like the BlackBird). Most people find them very comfortable.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

Traveler

I switched from a BlackBird to a Traveler. I only have 5 nights in the Traveler, but I find it very comfortable. I had the same issues with the BB as you.
    The Traveler seems quite large to me, but then, I am rather small.

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images
    I am also leaning towards favoring my Traveler over my BB. The Traveler is still quite large and I did experience some extra fabric sag, but it wasn't enough to bother me. I am only 5' 2" so it might not be as much of an issue if you are a bit taller. If it is a problem, then maybe you could attach some pullouts?
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I love em both.. My traveler is my full time hammock at home.. I am 5ft. 10", I like the little extra fabric for chair mode, also I can really dig in on the diagonal..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i've basically switched to my traveller from my wbbb-- i'm 5'8" - and the traveller is roomy without being too big. i like the open feeling as well.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Ok....so I'm not feeling as bad now. I'm not the only one who didn't love the Blackbird. Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming.
    KJ

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Howdy Cataraftgirl, I really liked my BB right up until I tried my new Traveler. I still like the BB but the Traveler just seems more comfortable for me.

There is some extra fabric but I don't find it flappy at all. I must admit I really like the open feeling. I'm going to keep the BB for my camping trips when I might encounter bugs but I am going to use my Traveler any time I'm not concerned about bugs.

I DO like the darn BB shelf though.....

-jeff

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Get the Traveler. It is a great netless hammock. I know for a fact that it is better hammock for sleeping in than my Double Eno is. I find that there is no problems with excess fabric because of the way the Traveler is constructed.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-15-2010 at 19:40.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    for those thinking of the pro's con's of the blackbird, in regard to an above post-
    if you feel closed in with the net zipped up unzip it and throw it over the ridgeline...
    if you don't like ducking under the side tie-outs don't tie them out, i've probably got
    40 nights in a blackbird and have only used the tie-outs once.
    For a lot of us the lay of the Traveler is the same as in the Blackbird..one question is do
    you always want to carry a bug net--most people do, so either its attached or separate but it's still in your pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast