Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Here is a baffle layout I am currently considering.

The drawing is not really to scale, just something quickly drawn. All baffles would be the same length and width. This would make weighing out the down easier.
    Comments and suggestions welcome!

Images
    Just a suggetion, I haven't made a quilt yet.

How about the vertical baffles as shown in your pick in the middle of the quilt, then the horizontal on each ends. The vertical baffles in the middle would put the most down in the middle where your torso would be. The horizontal baffles would keep the down more uniform around where your shoulders would be. Your head could be in a hat or on a pillow so that wouldn't matter. I like to move my legs around at night or have them spread out over a larger area on my side, so the more uniform would be nice at the feet. I also have the bottom 2' or so in a bag keeping them warm too. The horizontal baffles would not be so long, so there is less down to shift around.

Something to consider.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Just a suggetion, I haven't made a quilt yet.

How about the vertical baffles as shown in your pick in the middle of the quilt, then the horizontal on each ends. The vertical baffles in the middle would put the most down in the middle where your torso would be. The horizontal baffles would keep the down more uniform around where your shoulders would be. Your head could be in a hat or on a pillow so that wouldn't matter. I like to move my legs around at night or have them spread out over a larger area on my side, so the more uniform would be nice at the feet. I also have the bottom 2' or so in a bag keeping them warm too. The horizontal baffles would not be so long, so there is less down to shift around.

Something to consider.
    I thought about that, but it would complicate stuffing the quilt. The "center" baffles would have to be stuffed before sewing in the baffles on one of the ends. I have to keep it simple enough to enjoy doing it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    I thought about that, but it would complicate stuffing the quilt. The "center" baffles would have to be stuffed before sewing in the baffles on one of the ends. I have to keep it simple enough to enjoy doing it
    What's the fun in that? In engineering they teach us the harder something is the better.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    "Nothing easy is worth doing."
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

I built a quilt as seen at thru-hiker.com, but added vertical baffles as well. This double baffle system does not work any better as far as I can judge than the quilt I built from this pattern:
    http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm

Conclusion: Horizontal baffles work fine. I also built a down sleeping bag that has gotten me to +2 degrees with baffles running on the horizontal. The down holds its place well. I would guess that the same would be true for only vertical baffles, but the "tunnel" created by the baffles would be much longer, therefore giving the down much more space within which to shift around. Once fluffed up, however, down holds its position pretty well. The fabric holds it in place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12