Opinions on hammock and gear for an AT thru.

Want to go light as possible...

My hammock/sleep gear/tarp setup will be....

MYOG hammock for 6-3/225#.

I need to know what you guys think will hold up for 6 months.

Right now I have two gathered end hammocks.
    One single layer 1.65 oz 4'6 x 10' that weighs about 8 oz and a single layer 3 oz 5' x 10' that weighs about 18 oz.

Would a 1.9 oz single layer hold up for 6 months ??
    How about a double layer 1.1 oz hammock ??

Have an 8 oz suspension for either which is 1200# 12' straps, 2 decender rings each end and and blue amsteel to the hammock with a larks head.

Will have a MYOG open bottom bug net with elastic in the bottom to grip the hammock. I will Perithrin the hammock.

Under insulation will be a
    half CCF pad
    3/4 down 3" UQ ??
    XS prolite pad. Want to carry the XS prolite mostly just in case I end up on the ground or the underquilt wets out, lounging around etc.

Also will carry a tyvek sock that can be used as a hammock sock, as an undersheild or garlington shell or as a bivy on the ground. Used as a sock it would be gathered on the ends.

Top insul for now is a golite ultra 20.
    I slept in it last year at 14dF under a hammock in tent mode, but I think that is about the limit without a topper or a hammock sock of some sort.

Probably will carry a large Cuben tarp I can use in tent mode..

Will be carrying some insul clothing that I could probably extend the quilt 10-15dF.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Not exactly sure about the lifespan of any given hammock. Although I would think that it should hold up well without some accidental dammage. Just to add another possibility, you can always add a hammock to your bounce box and that way you can grab it if your other one looks in poor shape. If you run into problems in PA, find a computer and pm me, and i'll throw a hammock together for you!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Want to go light as possible...

Would a 1.9 oz single layer hold up for 6 months ??
    How about a double layer 1.1 oz hammock ??
    The 1.9 single is heavier than what Warbonnet uses for singles. The 1.1 double layer would be excellent and will certainly last.

Have an 8 oz suspension for either which is 1200# 12' straps, 2 decender rings each end and and blue amsteel to the hammock with a larks head.
    I think Whoopies in Dynaglide would be lighter and easier. You could also cut weight by using two 6' straps and one 4'--even those lengths are generous on the AT.

Under insulation will be a
    half CCF pad
    3/4 down 3" UQ ??
    XS prolite pad. Want to carry the XS prolite mostly just in case I end up on the ground or the underquilt wets out, lounging around etc.
    Just my opinion, but I'd carry the other half of the CCF instead of the Prolite. The CCF will work the same as the Prolite, but it is practically indestructible. In two separate pieces, it should still work well in your double layered hammock. An Evazote pad from Jack's-R-Better would be helpful as well.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    MYOG hammock for 6-3/225#.

I need to know what you guys think will hold up for 6 months.

Right now I have two gathered end hammocks.
    One single layer 1.65 oz 4'6 x 10' that weighs about 8 oz and a single layer 3 oz 5' x 10' that weighs about 18 oz.
    Couple of weekends ago, I'm camping with a large group of scouters... several of which are in hammocks... One in particular caught my eye. He'd made his hammock from what looks like walmart ripstop camo fabric. It looked just like my skirt that I'd made from walmart fabric. It was a gathered end hammock similar to a Speer model. Construction was very good. However, I took one look at it and promptly told him that he was gonna end up on the ground. I honestly thought his ropes that he'd used would break first. (cheap rope!!) On day two, he hit the ground!! The fabric split right down the middle as he was attempting to sit down in it. He had noticed no flaws or holes or tears or had any sharp items in his pockets when this happened. He ended up spending the rest of the camping trip with what was left of his hammock, in "tent" mode. (on the ground, hammock tied low so he could use the sides of the hammock as a cocoon for his sleeping pads.) I tried to lend him my spare hennessy but he insisited on wanting to use his gear.
    This guy is way smaller than you, I'd say 5'10" and like 175ish pounds. I was really surprised to see that the fabric gave out so quickly. I've read about other's making hammocks from walmart fabric and not having these problems (or at least not having them so soon). I'm revising my useages of walmart fabric (stuff sacks, rain wraps, skirts, but no hammocks). But that's just me. Check out your fabric really well if you're gonna use it to make a hammock. Also check out on Warbonnets site, the weight limits on different hammocks that he makes. That will help you decide how much weight can go into a single layer and a double layer and the weight of the material it's-self.

TinaLouise

I thru'd the AT in 2009 and rocked a hammock from Harper's thru Vermont. After those 2 months, it still looked new and was a HH Hyperlite if that helps....

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I believe it was John Glenn

who said something to the effect of "Just before blast-off, you are sitting on top of a big firecracker and all you can think of is that it was built by the lowest bidder!"

Keep this in mind when making hammocks from fabric bought from a retailer who prides itself in obtaining goods from the very cheapest sources.

I realize that many have made hammocks from WM fabric with no failures, but if I were making one I would buy my yardgoods from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics, Seattle Fabrics, Quest Outfitters or one of the other sources available. Weekend hammocking is one thing; The AT is a undertaking that demands the best gear available.

Just sayin'
    Jim

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Hancock fabrics is a quality, and reasonably priced choice. Remember though, Grandma Gateway did the AT with a pair of k-swiss and a shower curtain. That definately speaks to the fact that attitude is the key, not expensive gear. (the gear makes it better though!)
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I don't know about any others as to longevity, but I'd bet with wear & tear being equal, they are all similar: My Grand Trunk UL Skeeter beeter is still in use after 4+ years of near nightly use. Granted it's semi retired for at work use only after allowing someone to test it without checking them for sharp things in the pocket (It has a 1/16th" cut dead center) but except for that, it's still in fine shape,,, if you don't count the fact that I destroied the bug netting a few years ago due to carelesness on my part.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I believe it was John Glenn who said something to the effect of "Just before blast-off, you are sitting on top of a big firecracker and all you can think of is that it was built by the lowest bidder!"

Just sayin'
    Jim

I thought it was Steve Buscemi from Armageddon

I have never hiked the AT but I would think that a double 1.1 would last the six months unless you were using it to drag your pack behind you.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

• + New Posts