DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Question about Backwards Blackbird

The standard BB has the zipper on the left, and the footbox to the right of center (I think). I prefer to have my feet to the left of center and head to the right, so I would want to get it reversed. Here's the rub - for some reason it feels a little un-natural to me to get into the hammock from the right side ... not sure why. Maybe I just haven't tried it enough. But I always tend to sit down with the head end to my left, and turn myself clockwise to get in the hammock. If like me you sleep lefty, that means you only end up turning your body less than 90˚ to get situated. I'll admit I don't quite understand why one would get in on the left to sleep with feet to right of center - you'd have to turn your body almost 180˚ - seems like more work.

That being said, can the footbox and the zipper be on the same side, or do they need to be opposite?

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I think having the net permenantly attached to the foot box helps to hold it up and if it were attached to the zipper area you'd have a lot of fabric drooping when net is not zipped.

I always sleep with my head to the left and feet to the right in my expedition. I have only laid in my blackbird once for five minutes so I'm not quite use to it yet but I'm right there with you on feeling awkward getting in. I'm use to sitting down and turning my legs to the left rather the right. It kind of makes me feel off balance, haha. As as turning having to rotate further to get situated, I don't think that will bother me. Just weird at turning the different way that I'm not use to.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The shelf is on the same side as the footbox, and that's not compatible with the zipper being on that side. I'm sure someone could figure out a design to make that workable, but it wouldn't be a Blackbird anymore.

You could always email Brandon to see if he's done any R&D on that already, or if he's willing to customize it for you. Seems like it would be a bit of additional work, though...a price increase would be fair, IMO, if he even has time to make it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I sorta figured that might be the case, Jeff. I'm not looking to redesign the wheel - just trying to visualize it in my head. There could be worse things than having to learn to get in on the opposite side

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Brandon will make a WBBB with a right zip/left footbox for you, no problem. He did one for me. Adds $10, but worth it if that's the way you prefer to sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't like the overall enclosed feeling of the Blackbird, and I'm going back to an open hammock. I was able to find a HF member who was having the same sleep position issues as you are (and I was) and so my Blackbird went to a good home. I say..... get what makes you comfy.
    KJ

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cataraftgirl - He was talking about moving the footbox to the same side as the zipper, which is more involved than just reversing the pattern.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

Ditto

I've been sleeping head to the right, feet to the left since starting out. Get in on the left also. Tried sleeping the other way and can't do it. Creature of habit. Design my D.I.Y. projects accordingly. Zippers or access opening biased to the left side.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    sleep with your head in the footbox. someone else reported (Shug?) that they prefer this lay anyhow.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    sleep with your head in the footbox. someone else reported (Shug?) that they prefer this lay anyhow.
    Ha...way to think outside of the box! I've got to try this soon.

Hammock
    El Cheapo No-Name Brand
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    Huh?
    If you are with your head in the footbox, then you are still head left / feet right, just like in the original position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast