Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    First, at 2 lbs 5 oz a JRB BMBH is as light or lighter than some larger HH and the double bottom WBBB as submitted to BGT for testing... The weight is competitive for double bottom rigs.

Second, if two section hiking poles are used the weigh drops 8 oz to 1-13...

Third, The creative diys that are willing to remove omnitape and fashion a half bug net and remove the second layer of the pad pocket get the BMBH to under 16 oz and still retain webbing to the trees and tri-glides.

Pan
    Hey Pan---not sure you can go under a pound without ditching the webbing, but you surely can if you go to cord.

Shoveled my driveway for an hour today----yep, I'm missing the Old Dominion.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 12-16-2010 at 20:36.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i forget what i got mine down to when it was all said and done...
    i think it was close to what grizz knocked off....

it can be done....the BMBH is a really nice hammock...i have another bridge i'v been playing around with...i like the idea...just need to get use to it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    First, at 2 lbs 5 oz a JRB BMBH is as light or lighter than some larger HH and the double bottom WBBB as submitted to BGT for testing... The weight is competitive for double bottom rigs.

Second, if two section hiking poles are used the weigh drops 8 oz to 1t -13...

Third, The creative diys that are willing to remove omnitape and fashion a half bug net and remove the second layer of the pad pocket get the BMBH to under 16 oz and still retain webbing to the trees and tri-glides.

Pan
    Pan there is no to need defend the BMBH its a great hammock. But as I made clear its my hiking style in combination with me being a smaller framed guy. Just makes it a more enjoyable experience to carry as light a pack as I can. I am not a gram counter but I do feel it at the end of the day when my pack weight is more than I am comfortable with. Around 11lb base weight for a 0deg setup. The hammock I carry now is DIY and with suspension it weights 12oz. So add 1.11oz to that and I am out of my comfort range.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Your current base weight seems pretty light. And 12 oz including suspension for your current rig strikes me as super light.

I think you may be challenged to get a BMBH that light, but . . . for winter camping you certainly don't need the bug net. If using a good winter you can certainly take off the second bottom layer thus doing away with the pad pocket. The webbing can be switched out for cord (Opie has a good video at whoopiesling.com) as does Grizz in his archive. The poles can be left at home if using hiking poles per Pan's post. Hmmm. There really isn't much else to modify.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I am thinking very seriously about getting into the bridge hammock club. I am tired of late night shoulder pinch and sometimes knee pain. I know the correct way to lay to avoid this but I toss so much at night that I move away from the correct positions and wake up hurting. So I think a bridge may help this the only thing that is holding me back is there so dang heavy. I am not a ultralight backpacker by choice, but by necessity I am a small guy and I like to cover alot of miles in a day and those heavy loads just really hold me back. So my question to you guys is how light have you been able to get you BMBH thru mods. that you have made?

Thanks in advance!
    The shoulder thing may be interesting. Many seem to prefer a traditional hammock in the shoulder region. Although if you are even slightly on your side that becomes a moot point for me. OTOH, the EDIT: LEG problem thing will probably indeed be best cured with a JRB or other bridge hammock.

I have not yet modified mine, though I do have Wh.Slings available for them. But I have not yet cut the webbing off.

But it seems to me it mostly comes down to getting all the variables reduced. And DIY is probably the way to do this, easier than mods to the BMBH. Get rid of the double bottom ( a shame considering the way superior qualities for pad use), net and omni tape, the webbing and replace spreader bars with hiking poles if you use them anyway. And if your weight allows, use a very light single layer fabric.

Also, if you are of a small frame, could it be made a bit smaller in length/width, to save a few more oz?

After all that, the BH shouldn't weigh much more than your current hammock.

Is there a brand of hiking poles that would make a good replacement for the spreader bars with out too much hassle? Then again, it will be hard to find hiking poles lighter than the spreader bars, and using the hiking poles for spreaders will loose you their usefulness as pillars for a tarp porch.

The only really easy mod is to cut the webbing off and replace with cord or WS. But you will still need tree huggers. So I'm not sure that will save you more than a few ozs.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-17-2010 at 00:14.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    the JRB is fine as is,,,,the weight reduction was a challenge and fun but for a lot of hikers the clinical difference when one could loose 10 ounces of belly fat-well you get the drift.
    My only complaint about any bridge hammock is my tarps don't seem to work, e.g. more often than not I am going to ground with all tarp sides and that is hard to do with a bridge---suggestions,clues?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    the JRB is fine as is,,,,the weight reduction was a challenge and fun but for a lot of hikers the clinical difference when one could loose 10 ounces of belly fat-well you get the drift.
    My only complaint about any bridge hammock is my tarps don't seem to work, e.g. more often than not I am going to ground with all tarp sides and that is hard to do with a bridge---suggestions,clues?
    Perhaps rethink the conditions where you think it is necessary to close up the tarp tightly?

I've been to the Mt. Rogers winter hang a couple of years and both times both Jacks were there with their tarps pitched in the "Baker Hut" style that gives full blockage on one wall, and good coverage from falling precipitation on the other. Site selection and knowledge of the evening's weather. Both trips we had some pretty stiff wind, and one night a far bit of snow and they fared just fine.

My style is to take that same tarp and either close off one end (possible with a narrow foot bridge), or tack on a beak and point that end into the direction of anticipated wind. From there the tarp flairs out wide towards the front, making a sort of "cave" with one end open and 3 sided coverage. The tarp does not go to the ground at the head, because it is busy spreading out there, but is still low enough to have good coverage from side blown stuff.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Perhaps rethink the conditions where you think it is necessary to close up the tarp tightly?

I've been to the Mt. Rogers winter hang a couple of years and both times both Jacks were there with their tarps pitched in the "Baker Hut" style that gives full blockage on one wall, and good coverage from falling precipitation on the other. Site selection and knowledge of the evening's weather. Both trips we had some pretty stiff wind, and one night a far bit of snow and they fared just fine.

My style is to take that same tarp and either close off one end (possible with a narrow foot bridge), or tack on a beak and point that end into the direction of anticipated wind. From there the tarp flairs out wide towards the front, making a sort of "cave" with one end open and 3 sided coverage. The tarp does not go to the ground at the head, because it is busy spreading out there, but is still low enough to have good coverage from side blown stuff.
    Baker Hut is really nice! Also consider Grip Clips or added sew on tie outs on the tarp. Right about where the spreaders would touch the tarp. then cord to hiking pole then down to stake. Or, cord from Grip Clip to tree or branch/bush if available. This had added very adequate room spreader bar for me.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nothing I'm allowed to tell.
    Your a good man for keeping your word. I'll can wait...mostly because my wife might strangle me in my sleep if I buy another hammock too soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12