Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Hammock in survival

So I was doing some thinking today as I was driving around. My son had made mention that he wanted to build a "bug out pack" basically a survival kit but with a little more added. The ones I have built are done a little differently in case one needs to "bug out" when and if a Red Dawn moment happens. OK enough blabbering.

Currently I have a 10 x 10 syl tarps for protection/shelter etc (I have more included but it is not related to this topic, but still falls under the shelter category.) However I was thinking how practical a hammock would be instead of the dinky ground pad I have included. Weight is not such a factor in my survival kits and they tend to have more robust gear. So a simple and inexpensive hammock would definitely be better then sleeping on the ground.

But here is the slippery slope, yes hammocks are more comfy and can be pitched any where, but I have to take into consideration the thermal factor. So now instead of just a tarp and ground cloth/pad I have to take a UQ, and possibly other warmth items as well. I think given its a survival situation what I have provided for sleep warmth would still work. But its just the added bulk of the hammock and UQ and potential other items that I am concerned about.

So what are your thoughts on the matter, could a hammock be used and deliberately placed in a survival kit for use in such a situation. Or is it best to just stick to the ground dweller set up I have. Granite most survival situations are only a week long, again I say most. But also I did not build this just for survival but for actual escape if necessary.

Thanks in adavance
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

well with a hennesy and some of the other jungle hammocks they double as a great single person tent. i had to go to the ground last night in my hennesy due to high winds and it works great as a tent. hang when you can and use it as a tent when you cant

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Truthfully for a BOB you're probably better off keeping things simple. If things go wrong to the point you have to "bug out" then it likely won't be a camping trip. For shelter the tarp is probably a good option but it's unlikely you'll be setting up camp somewhere to wait things out. More likely is a scenario where you're either trying to get to or get away from something. In that case whatever rest you'll get will be wherever you can find it (in a vacant building, garage, back of your truck, etc).

So, in that case a hammock may not be the best option for the reasons you've already mentioned along with somewhat of the lack of flexibility for urban/suburban settings. I'd probably go with something more like a tyvek groundsheet, CCF pad, bivy sack, and down bag. With a relatively small amount of gear you're pretty much good to go in most any flat, dry location.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Truthfully for a BOB you're probably better off keeping things simple. If things go wrong to the point you have to "bug out" then it likely won't be a camping trip. For shelter the tarp is probably a good option but it's unlikely you'll be setting up camp somewhere to wait things out. More likely is a scenario where you're either trying to get to or get away from something. In that case whatever rest you'll get will be wherever you can find it (in a vacant building, garage, back of your truck, etc).

So, in that case a hammock may not be the best option for the reasons you've already mentioned along with somewhat of the lack of flexibility for urban/suburban settings. I'd probably go with something more like a tyvek groundsheet, CCF pad, bivy sack, and down bag. With a relatively small amount of gear you're pretty much good to go in most any flat, dry location.
    +1 Think about some emergency bivies for shelter.

-jeff

This brings up an important question: Does pyrethrin repel zombies?

I would say that a BOB has to be tailored to where you live... Flood zone? You're going to want an inflatable raft. Fire zone? You're going to want a fire shelter.

It seems to me like the two most likely classes of survival scenarios you're likely to encounter are:

A) natural disaster including fire, flood, or destructive wind--a hammock doesn't seem particularly well suited to any of these.
    B) anarchy including looting, marauding, disease, zombies etc.--escaping into the woods seems more reasonable here, as the woods generally contain fewer people than do cities.

If it's the authorities you're trying to escape... Forget the survival gear and get bus ticket to Mexico.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I thought about this a year or so ago and came to the conclusion that (hurts to say this) they aren't a necessity. In a survival situation, I'm only lugging things I need. I tested myself last year on a survival hike. I took only things that I would have in my truck and although there is ALWAYS a hammock in my truck, I left it behind. Only nights in about 4 years that I've slept on the ground. I was cold and uncomfortable, generally miserable. It was still the right choice IMO. None of my emergency kits have a hammock in them.

Now, if I still lived below the frost line................
    Trust nobody!

zukiguy has has a valid point keep it simple. but lets say something crazzy happens hiding up in the mountains might be a better option then trying to fight through traffic jams and crazzy people ripping everything off the shelves at walmart. having a large bug out bag is worth it. its better to have everything you think you might need and a little extra it leaves room. what kind of bug out bag we talking about like one for your house or your car. keep it simple for you car but dont be scared to have some thing in the garage ready to go. my dad keeps a bug out boxs to throw in the car if the **** hits the fan

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Just to be the Devil's advocate...

I remember the Army Survival Manual mentioned using a hammock for sleep, but primarily as a fishnet.

A BOB isn't only for Russians escaping a wheat famine, but also for natural disasters. If the ground is too wet to sleep on, a hammock may be cold, but very welcome.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It's a tough one- to me, if I'm stuck trying to get by in the woods solo for a while, everything that makes hammock camping better in a recreational situation also makes it better in a serious situation.

Thing is, if I'm *alone* things have to be pretty messed up. I think I'd grab one of my tents that can hold more than one person, or my big tarp for the same reason.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Blackbird is a definite in a bug out bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast