Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I have been putzing on my back porch with a top cover sleeping out in single digits. Waiting for below zero. I simply attached for foot and head of my summer TQ which is two layers of IX between two layers of 1.1 oz. breathable camo. My wife attached loops in the center at each end and I just connected it to a make shift ridge line. I then clipped a space blanket on the outside of the IX.

Note in the picture the open screen of the claytor. There is another, smaller opening at the foot end. I just throw a little wool blanket, the black material over the vent at the head end and slide it up and down the ridge line to create an adjustable vent. While not a snorkel, this has worked great. Toasty warm inside with no condensation. Occasionally the blanket is a little damp.

I think the idea of adjustable ventilation makes a lot of sense to combat condensation. I also like as much air moving through as possible while staying comfortable. This is a rudimentary beginning at what I think could be a system that could involve layering and venting that would make it infinitely adjustable, and as a result, effective.
    canobie - that's exactly the over cover TeeDee made for us several years back for our Bridge Hammocks. The only difference is we have been using poncho liners (Wiggy's) and to seal the ends, TeeDee made the Bridge end panels so that they can be extended to the ridge line with an adjustable gable vent on both ends. We always just leave the foot end gable vent fully closed and a small triangular opening at the head end. Works great.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a good bit of condensation on my peapod, near my mouth, last year at the Mt Rogers hang. Most everyone did and there was a good bit of discussion. Pan recommended the Psolar.EX. I've not tried one, but it looks like it works well for that.

I've been using a buff pulled down over my mouth and that seems to help, but I usually pull it off in my sleep at some point.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    I had a good bit of condensation on my peapod, near my mouth, last year at the Mt Rogers hang. Most everyone did and there was a good bit of discussion. Pan recommended the Psolar.EX. I've not tried one, but it looks like it works well for that.

I've been using a buff pulled down over my mouth and that seems to help, but I usually pull it off in my sleep at some point.
    Thanks for that info, Het. I have not had that with the pod for whatever reason so far. Maybe it wasn't quite as cold or humid. ( I have occasionally had my breath apparently freeze and "snow' back down the vent hole on my face, however. But when I closed things all the way I did not notice any. But maybe if it had been colder than ~10F or more humid?

I have meant to try one of those Psolar deals. I hear they are not available anymore.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I made a DIY insulated sock (i.e. - pea pod) to fit my asym insulated hammock. It has layers of climashield and Insultex sandwiched between ripstop. There is a zipper top center, that I use partially unzipped so there's a breathing hole above my head. One time I was testing in the afternoon (i.e. - nap) and I woke up with condensation on the front of the vest I was wearing, but none noticeable on the inner surface of the sock. All other times (and usually at lower temperatures, there's been no condensation. Because of the Insultex layer, I haven't used it with the zipper fully closed. I have thought about a fabric snorkel tube attached where I leave the zipper open, but I'm not sure how it would drape around my face. I have another item that I use for cold weather - a piece of "Zorb" fabric pinned to the top of my hood, which I can flip over my face. It's like a pack towel, highly absorbent (think: diaper material on steroids ). It's so porous that you can breathe through it easily, and it's light enough that it isn't uncomfortable to sleep under. It's great for nights that it's too cold to leave my nose exposed. Because it's super-absorbent, I figured it would be soaking wet in the morning, but that hasn't been the case. Most of the exhaled moisture apparently passes through it without condensing on the fibers. For extreme cold I may try a snorkel with a Zorb insert. So far testing has been at temps around 32°F. (I have used the Zorb face cover comfortably down to 20°F., but the DIY peapod is new, still being fitted with pockets for water bottles and outer garments and such.)

Hammock
    HH Jungle
    Tarp
    speer
    Insulation
    IX underquilt, etc

Zorb?

Hi David,

Where did you get the Zorb material? I Googled it and got a company in Canada (Wazoodle)to buy a small piece only @ 4 bucks, and @ 9 to ship. Can you get it at local fabric stores?

Mary

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    http://www.headsokz.com/?gclid=CPKZo...-------------I have one I use for work---its really warm and works great!---I always take it backpacking in the winter.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryMary View Post
    Hi David,

Where did you get the Zorb material? I Googled it and got a company in Canada (Wazoodle)to buy a small piece only @ 4 bucks, and @ 9 to ship. Can you get it at local fabric stores?

Mary
    Yup. Wazoodle was it, and not cheap. I rationalized the shipping by buying more than I needed to get the price per sq. yd. down. I'm glad I did, because the stuff makes great towels for drying tarps, wet dogs, and what-have-you, and I doubt that I'll need (or want) to order any more. The piece I use in cold weather is only about one square foot. I could spare you a piece that size if you want to try it.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Here's a couple of photos how the wife annd I do it.

fourdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have a 'wild rag' (3' square silk cowboy bandana) that I drape over my face, with good results. WV sent me a Zorb towel, which I plan to use in MN. I might convert a balaclava by cutting out the part over my mouth and nost, and inserting Zorb.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did that the first night I slept in my HH, but I just used the sleeve of a sweatshirt hung over the ridgeline. It was great for keeping my breath warm, but when I turned onto my side my face was always sticking into the material.

The next closest thing I did was the PeaPod Hood.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast