Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Snorkel hood in a hammock

I was wondering if anyone had tried a a snorkel hood in a hammock in winter to keep the moisture from ones breath away from the TQ? This is a hood like from heavy duty winter parka that can be extended up to 6 inches out from the face and typically had a fur or fake fur interior to catch the moisture from the outgoing breath and to warm the incoming breath.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    I remember someone..Ed Speer maybe?..had experimented with something like that.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've thought about it... got some ideas for implementing it in a sock, but haven't prototyped it yet.

With the nearly sealed PeaPod, one can show that it works. A small opening above the face, and another above your head, creates air circulation and prevents condensation from your breath.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I've thought about it... got some ideas for implementing it in a sock, but haven't prototyped it yet.

With the nearly sealed PeaPod, one can show that it works. A small opening above the face, and another above your head, creates air circulation and prevents condensation from your breath.
    My experience also. Actually, I have never yet had any noticeable condensation when using my PeaPod down to ~10F, even with it occasionally completely closed. For me, that is one of the biggest advantages of the pod, along with the relatively draft free( depending on amount of closure) experience.

But I have often thought of using something like a Saran wrap inner cardboard tube as a snorkel with the pod completely closed around that. But I have not yet actually done it. Maybe finally this winter, or some one else maybe will soon try it and report in. If I used this when on my side in a Claytor, with the pod rotated and the snorkel out the side, the breath vapor should drop to the ground and not even back on the pod exterior. ( if the breath vapor does not freeze in the tube, blocking it!)

When I have slept podless with a normal TQ snuggled around my neck and various jacket hoods and caps and balaclavas, I have more than once found the area of the TQ closest to my mouth soaked with condensation. Though I am not sure if much of it got past the Pertex Endurance that makes up the quilt shell in the neck and foot area. But it was not confidence inspiring.

However, I think I noticed this much less when I used my Marmot sleeping bag Goretex hood. It is thick enough that it forms a sort of tunnel breathing hole. I guess this somewhat keeps the moisture from hitting the neck area of the bag.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-17-2010 at 14:42.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Think this fella already did it..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I have slept podless with a normal TQ snuggled around my neck and various jacket hoods and caps and balaclavas, I have more than once found the area of the TQ closest to my mouth soaked with condensation. Though I am not sure if much of it got past the Pertex Endurance that makes up the quilt shell in the neck and foot area. But it was not confidence inspiring.
    this is the exact situation that I am trying to find a solution for

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    However, I think I noticed this much less when I used my Marmot sleeping bag Goretex hood. It is thick enough that it forms a sort of tunnel breathing hole. I guess this somewhat keeps the moisture from hitting the neck area of the bag.
    yes I had seen prior references to various possibilities for hammock sock and peapod type adaptations but what I was wondering about would be just a hood that one could wear outside of the hammock as well as within the hammock - sort of like some of the down balaclavas but with the snorkel to catch some (most?) of the moisture

has anyone any experience they wish to share using the particular type of jacket/parka with the fur lined snorkel? BillyBob58, was one of the hooded jackets you have used this type of snorkeled parka?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have been putzing on my back porch with a top cover sleeping out in single digits. Waiting for below zero. I simply attached for foot and head of my summer TQ which is two layers of IX between two layers of 1.1 oz. breathable camo. My wife attached loops in the center at each end and I just connected it to a make shift ridge line. I then clipped a space blanket on the outside of the IX.

Note in the picture the open screen of the claytor. There is another, smaller opening at the foot end. I just throw a little wool blanket, the black material over the vent at the head end and slide it up and down the ridge line to create an adjustable vent. While not a snorkel, this has worked great. Toasty warm inside with no condensation. Occasionally the blanket is a little damp.

I think the idea of adjustable ventilation makes a lot of sense to combat condensation. I also like as much air moving through as possible while staying comfortable. This is a rudimentary beginning at what I think could be a system that could involve layering and venting that would make it infinitely adjustable, and as a result, effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by canoebie; 12-17-2010 at 15:48.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've done it with an arctic parka -0* and below, works great. Helps warm the air your breathing and keeps the condesation off the bag.

Also making a breathing tube helps alot.

fourdog

thanks everyone - now to figure out what I need to get / sew

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    .......... BillyBob58, was one of the hooded jackets you have used this type of snorkeled parka?
    No. The hoods on my jackets just close around some of my face and are not that thick anyway. They don't approach the "blow hole" style of a good mummy bag when cinched down. But my Marmot hood does, which makes sense because it is actually a sleeping bag hood originally designed to attache to some of their non-mummy hoodless sleeping bags.
    So it actually forms a pretty good deep breathing hole, sort of like a snorkel, if a snorkel was only about 2-3" long.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast