AHE DIY vs Potomac

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking to get an underquilt that will alow me camp comfortably down to 25*. I'll probly only ever camp from a motorcycle, boat, or truck, so light weight isn't that important to me. So that's the background. Oh and I'll primarily be in south alabama and north florida. So we are talking 25* at the least but humid in the winter.

So that's the background. I have a HH Asym Delux and was thinking about making a DIY from Arrowhead. My question is, will it fit well with my HH model? How does it compare to the Potomac? And finally, is this a decent choice for a cold sleeping cheapskate?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Both UQ's should fit your hammock just fine....and yes...they are very good UQ's
    you can't go wrong with a KAQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Hudson River Quilt is on sale this weekend... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm, scroll down...Tough to beat $209 for three season down UQ...The materials alone come close to that.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have the KAQ DIY kit UQ, KAQ New River UQ and a JRB Hudson River and can tell you that you cannot go wrong with either of the kits. If you are looking to save money and have adequate sewing skills then I say get the DIY Kit. It took us about 8 hrs to make our first UQ from the kit and that included getting familiar with the new sewing machine. Good luck and I hope some of this rambling helps!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm trying to keep this to a tight budget because I tend to bail off into things once in a while and it gets expensive. I'm leaning towards DIY becuase I can hold my own with a sewing machine and my wife is a very talented seamstress. So, she'll keep me out of trouble with a kit.

I'll take a look at those other models and get back with everyone.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just another option, the DD "Underblanket".

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/u...s/underblanket

$119.00 shipped to my door in NY. I use mine along with sleeping bags down well below zero. It packs like my 15 deg Eureka Casper (synthetic sleeping bag) and weighs almost as much (a kilogram is what, 2.2 lbs?)

I love this thing. OTOH the other choices likely pack down more compactly, which might mean something to you, and supporting made-in-USA cottage industry stuff is always cool (my next UQ, something for backpacking, will be one of those).

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    With the sale this week either DIY or Potomac is a better deal than normal. Depending on what you would make style wise from the kit the Potomac is still a good deal if you wanted to DIY that. It is a pretty involved quilt that takes us (over a hundred of them under our belt this year) most of a full day to cut and put together. But the DIY instructions are good and if you have the time it is a project that you will learn a lot from.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts