DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    just wonderin... is it just one shoulder or both?

and is it mostly downward pressure that affects it?

does a little pressure pushing on the front of the shoulder, pushing the shoulder back toward the pack, (like you`d get w/ load lifters) bother much? ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    It's both shoulders, and it's both directions. The issue isn't immediate - it takes a few hours to really start hurting. I've compensated (partially) by adjusting the fit several times during the day, but it still starts bothering me eventually. Pressure from front isn't as bad as from the top, but it's still not good.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here`s a thought... even though it doesn`t give you much to go on in the way of actual materials that would really work & still be lightweight.
    i wonder if two stays could be made that would not only stiffen the pack, but continue up above the shoulders & curve forward mabey 4-5".
    mabey they could be aluminum w/ a slight spring.
    with the straps coming off the top of the stays (which are over & near the front of your shoulders) they would make very little contact w/ the shoulders.
    instead, the straps would pull the pack against your back by contact w/ your chest.
    you would probably need a sternum strap... or mabey the straps would form an x across your chest.
    this wouldn`t be as ultralight as you could go, but if it alowed you to walk pain free... hey!
    and mabey the stays would slide out of there selves on the pack & serve other purposes... like spreader bars for the hammock? ...tim

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That's an interesting idea, especially since I've always had better experiences with external frame packs - same idea here, I think.

If the pack itself is stiff enough, though, would something like that be very different from attaching the straps above shoulder level? I'm not sure...definitely worth looking into.

To forestall the next series of comments, yes, I've considered just sticking with an external frame. That's what I'm doing at the moment, actually. The problem is that they're heavy, expensive (like the LuxuryLite), or both. I'm also trying to come up with the most versatile design I can, and a frame pack is pretty limited.

One thing I would like to play with at some point is a hybrid external frame / gearskin idea. The only problem is that I'm not a metalworker, so it could get expensive.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    I have a pack similar to this one. The frame only weighs a few oz (9?). At that price it would be a cheap experiment. That being said, Iwould think if you raised the top mounting point very far the straps would be in the way. Maybe rubbing your ears

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep... i think that some of the ultralight packs attach the straps high to a pack that has been stiffened, mabey by a plastic sheet or a ccf pad, & this does away w/ the need for load lifter straps... because it`s custom made for that person.
    but if high attachments for the shoulder straps isn`t enough to keep the pressure off your shoulders for the long haul, mabey the curved rods/ poles/ stays, a few inches above your sholders would do the job. ...tim

Images
    That 'LuxuryLite' thingie made me laugh - a lot

I needed it too. I have an exam in the morning and I still need to read a few hundred pages of Plutarch. **** those pesky Scipios, Gracchis and Caesars! **** their eyes! Why couldn't they all have their own names instead of recycling the same ones over and over?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    That 'LuxuryLite' thingie made me laugh - a lot

I needed it too. I have an exam in the morning and I still need to read a few hundred pages of Plutarch. **** those pesky Scipios, Gracchis and Caesars! **** their eyes! Why couldn't they all have their own names instead of recycling the same ones over and over?
    Blech!!! Classics!! I still have nightmares over the Iliad from high school....

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=2467&d=

Check this out and see if it'll work. The straps I have are just the web gear shoulder harness and don't have the mesh panel on back, but their website isn't the easiest to search. If you don't want the mesh panel, call them and see if you can still order just the straps.

The padded part is 14" long, 4.5" wide, and about .75" thick. I'll take some pics of mine if you want more details before ordering them.

Or you could always make your own. It's just a casing with some padding stuffed inside.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123