Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

*GASP* Non-hammock question...

This isn't related directly to hammocks, but since so many of you are DIY buffs, I thought I'd ask anyway...

Anybody know where to find a good set of nice, wide, well-padded shoulder straps? I'm making a gearskin-type pack, and I think trying to design my own S-curve may be a logistic nightmare.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd start with the Goodwills in your area. Then check out the school pack sections of Walmart, Target, etc - some of them have straps that are easily suitable for 30 pound loads, and you can get the whole pack for pretty cheap. Otherwise, lots of outfitters carry replacement shoulder straps, like these.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Maybe it would help if I were more specific...

I have shoulder problems, so I'm going away from the traditional strap layout. Instead of trying to use load lifters to get weight off the top of my shoulders, I'm going to put the strap attachment points ABOVE the level of my shoulders in the first place. It'll permanently put all the load on my hips, but my hips can take it, whereas my shoulders can't. The shoulder straps will basically just be there for balance.

Even though there won't be any vertical load on the straps, I still need something wider and more padded than normal, too. I'm thinking around 2.5-3" wide.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm pretty sure those Arc'teryx straps are about that wide. Seems like any strap would work if it's not taking much load, though - just sew it higher and don't use the load lifters. Why do you need a special strap?

Or click here and check out the eBay straps, like tree stand shoulder straps for $10 or ALICE pack straps for $10.

I've even looked at the butt-pack and shoulder strap setups, like the miltary's web gear, to see if I could make it the foundation of a lightweight pack. I think it'll work. Here's a mossy oak civilian version of what I'm talking about. Using arrow shafts as the frame, even with this you could get the weight off of your shoulders.

You probably don't want a whole ALICE pack, but this link has a girl in a thong wearing one. Bid's at $5 right now...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    The physics of attaching the straps above your shoulders is really messed up

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - it's almost like stamp collecting...

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I can't believe it took six months for somebody to comment on my signature....

I think my shoulder problem is something like a pinched nerve...so even just having pressure on the front of my shoulders will start hurting after a while. That's why I'm looking for something "overstuffed"...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look around some more.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe just wrap some Charmin around it. Prolly need a silnylon cover in case it rains.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Toilet-paper topology....I like it!

Images
    If you have a hairy back then you could consider a velcro pad on the pack instead of straps.

Looking at ethnic engineering, there's always the 'forehead strap' approach.

Just how silly are you willing to look on the trail?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast