DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock dogs

I was wondering if anyone ever goes hammocking with their dog. I was thinking about bringing my Jack Russel with me when it warms up a bit because she is small enough to fit in the hammock with me. She has been on multi-day hikes no problem with a tent. However, I was just curious if anyone tried it out hammocking. Thanks guys

Trev

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    The dog in my avatar is Jazzy, and she's been on several hikes with me. She is 70+ lbs and does NOT get into my hammock, LOL. Once she realized that she could sleep right underneath me, she was pretty good about it. She normally does night patrol and guards the perimeter of the camp if she ever hears anything. Most often, though, in colder weather she sleeps ON one of my buddies who are ground heathens. They don't seem to mind, since she's a good foot warmer.

If you sleep pretty still, a smaller dog like a Jack Russell shouldn't be a problem. Myself, I toss and turn too much to share my hammock with anyone/anything else at night.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    DiY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We bring our dogs all the time... The wife even made Jiako (that's the dog's name) his own hammock that gets strung up next to hers...

"My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations.

Acceptance is the key to everything."

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Do we need a hammock cats thread or can I just use this one?
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    Do we need a hammock cats thread or can I just use this one?
    Ha ha, I would say this thread. I may be wrong, but I can't see there being too many other hammock cats.

I am interested in hearing this one.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I've been wondering about this myself. I have a Mini Aussie who comes with me camping and on mellow river floats. He's too hyper for real whitewater trips. Paces all over my raft and won't sit still. Since I have enough to worry about just keeping my raft right side up in the rapids, Tucker stays home. He's great in a tent. Gets right in and curls up in a corner. I'm anxious to see what he thinks about a hammock & tarp. He occasionally hops in the hammock with me in the backyard, but doesn't stay for more than a few seconds. He's too busy to stay for long.
    Kokak, tell me more about that dog hammock in your picture. Brand? Does it fold up very small?
    KJ

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I started a thread about this a few months ago. Asking for tips from others.

We have a 50lb pitbull we rescued. She can't stay out of the hammock now that she knows it's for napping/sleeping.

On my first camp out with her, she was too cold in her crate when it dropped down to 38F. So I opened up the hammock and she just jumped right in and curled up behind my legs. Since then she looks forward to jumping in with me, but doesn't stay long unless it's bedtime.

I've seriously thought about cats in the hammock...I think one or two of the four we have would like it...but they get freaked out if they are outside. They are totally indoor cats.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think Kokak said it's a DIY. My dog's hammock is, too. It's a good way to go, since you can size the hammock to fit the dog. Hint: get your dog used to sleeping under your hammock first. Have him/her sleep on the hammock you make on the ground with a pad under it. After the dog is used to the hammock fabric as a bed, he/she will have an easier time when the hammock is hanging and it moves around as the dog moves.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's good to know a dog as big as a pit bull will stay still when it's bedtime in the hammock. I do a lot of hiking solo because I just moved here and bringing my dog occasionally will be a lot of fun I think. Has anyone had any trouble bringing there dog on a multi-day hike?

As for cats, I remember seeing in one of Shug's videos that he brought his cat in his hammock with him.

Trevor

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I've been wondering about this myself. I have a Mini Aussie who comes with me camping and on mellow river floats. He's too hyper for real whitewater trips. Paces all over my raft and won't sit still. Since I have enough to worry about just keeping my raft right side up in the rapids, Tucker stays home. He's great in a tent. Gets right in and curls up in a corner. I'm anxious to see what he thinks about a hammock & tarp. He occasionally hops in the hammock with me in the backyard, but doesn't stay for more than a few seconds. He's too busy to stay for long.
    Kokak, tell me more about that dog hammock in your picture. Brand? Does it fold up very small?
    KJ
    I love Mini Aussies! Would love to see a pic of him in the hammock
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast