Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    hennessy
    Thanx for all your answers. Interesting!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    How does carrying a UQ and TQ save bulk and weight? Especially in winter.
    It doesn't IMO, unlless you are using a torso (short) UQ. In fact, for equal warmth, it will probably weigh more as the width of most quilts X 2 (uq+tq) will be a good bit more than the width of most SBs. For ex, 48" wide x 2 =96, and that would be one whopping big bag. Most bags have a girth of 58 to 70" at the most. But you would save some weight on zippers.

Two long ~20-25F down quilts might weigh 46 oz plus hood. I have a long 48 oz 15F rated synthetic mummy with Pertex Endurance WPB shell and it weighs 48 oz. Though I think the temp rating is optimistic, I'd call it more like 20 to 25F at best. But then again, it is heavier Polarguard. So not much weight dif for a given warmth, but there is a lot of bulk dif.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I use SBs. I feel the same way as the above statement, I've tried to use my SBs as TQs but when I get cold, I zip in and then I'm warm (unless I'm just under-insulated, then I shiver LOL).

SBs are more practical for me, I toss and turn a lot and I think I'd let a lot of heat out using UQ/TQ.

I do use an UQ unless I'm going light, the pads I have now are lighter than my UQ.

I do wonder about some things though.

Do synthetic sleeping bags work better in hammocks than down sleeping bags (in other words, does synthetic insulation work better with weight on in than down?) Superior compressibility is a selling point of down, maybe it works against it in this case? All of my stuff is synthetic but it's mostly because I'm cheap .........
    You definitely get some added back warmth with syn bags. Depending on how thick the bag is ans what it is made of. Not enough under most conditions, but maybe just enough to help, or maybe get by with lighter UQs or pad. Plus it is a draft free approach, which counts for a LOT if you are having draft problems with a quilt or more likely when trying to use a bag as quilt. I don't have many draft problems with my quilt, because it is wide enough and snaps behind my neck with a drawstring closure. But I have to watch out when moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I think the success that some folks have had with the military sleeping bag in a hammock is attributable to the lack of compressibility of synthetics. I know my down bag requires something under me...
    Totally agree.

Don't forget the combo bag/UQ product, a PeaPod. I see no reason to ever choose a bag over this approach, as it IS a bag and best of both worlds with few of the drawbacks of either. A huge bag, big enough to swallow most hammocks and hammockers. Disadvantages: I think it has much better warmth to weight used with a narrow hammock, can't be used with all hammocks( bridge or stock bottom entry HHs), works way less than optimum with some others: "wall" of a BB pulls the top way up on shelf side for ex, really wide hammocks pull it high on both sides. And some side fetal positions work really poor in some hammocks, etc. Plus, some(most?) will prefer the more "open" feeling of a separate UQ/TQ/hood. EDIT: For ex, a MWUQ on a bridge hammock. Unlike the PeaPod with certain hammocks, there is no position you can get in that can compress the UQ at all, it covers head to toe, and with a roomy TQ and hood, there is no way I can feel "hemmed in".

But when you have a pod style working at optimum, it is as good as any UQ on the bottom and as good(or real close) as a bag on top( i.e., draft proof and with a nice "hood").
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-19-2010 at 18:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123