Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I use Exped's 2mm reflective dyneema for my guy lines, with a 6" piece of SC for a tensioner.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...1?opendocument
    Thanks Shewie,

If I may ask. On your superfly.

Do you use a ridgeline? If so, how long?

If you just tie from tree to tarp? How long?

On your 4 corners tieouts, how long?

On your pullouts, how long?

On your door tieouts, how long?

I'm trying to order all the different lines I will need to setup my supertarp for winter camping in heavy snow.
    I'm finding it to be quite a challenge determining what type of material, its diameter and length.
    In my searches on HF there are almost too many options out there. It's a bit overwhelming.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-20-2010 at 14:06.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am reading this thread closely

as I have a Superfly on order.

1. I like full-length ridgelines with prussics, as I can easily adjust the tarp's position over the hammock. Shug's mention of prussics as a "safety valve" is a bonus.

2. I will be trying 1/8" shockcord for the pullouts. I like Shug's argument of shockcord giving before tearing out the pullouts due to human clumsyness or snowload.

3. I will probably attempt to use the LineLocks Paul at AHE sells at the four main pullouts (not the doors). I have them on my CJH and HH tarps and used with Triptease are super-easy to adjust without kneeling, or even from under the tarp.

But as I said, all these ideas are hypothetical as I have yet to receive my SF! Keep the ideas coming - I am not hide-bound in my plans for setup.

Jim
    Last edited by Jsaults; 12-20-2010 at 15:15.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    as I have a Superfly on order.

1. I like fluu-length ridgelines with prussics, as I can easily adjust the tarp's position over the hammock. Shug's mention of prussics as a "safety valve" is a bonus.

2. I will be trying 1/8" shockcord for the pullouts. I like Shug's argument of shockcord giving before tearing out the pullouts due to human clumsyness or snowload.

3. I will probably attempt to use the LineLocks Paul at AHE sells at the four main pullouts (not the doors). I have them on my CJH and HH tarps and used with Triptease are super-easy to adjust without kneeling, or even from under the tarp.

But as I said, all these ideas are hypothetical as I have yet to receive my SF! Keep the ideas coming - I am not hide-bound in my plans for setup.

Jim
    Hi Jim, Looks like we are in the same boat. Thanks for posting what you are going to try. It looks very close to what I want to do.
    Strong with safety's and simple to setup, that's what I'm after.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I larks head a spear NTL prussic off the tarp corner pulls then have my spear NTL running thru prussic length of guide line 10' I go that long so I have enough in porch mode . also I can adjust from inside tarp during nasty downpours

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hopefully this will work ...

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks Shewie,

If I may ask. On your superfly.

Do you use a ridgeline? If so, how long?

Continuous 10m 2mm dynaglide ridgeline with a prusik at eaither end of my tarp. I like the flexibility

If you just tie from tree to tarp? How long?

See above

On your 4 corners tieouts, how long?

3m

On your pullouts, how long?

6ft 4mm shockcord

On your door tieouts, how long?

I left the one Brandon fitted as I didn't see any point in changing them

I'm trying to order all the different lines I will need to setup my supertarp for winter camping in heavy snow.
    I'm finding it to be quite a challenge determining what type of material, its diameter and length.
    In my searches on HF there are almost too many options out there. It's a bit overwhelming.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Don't you still need 6-8' of nonstretch cord to attach to the short shockcord?
    Yes you do. The advantage though is less weight and bulk using 6 to 8 feet of non-stretch line vs. using that much shock cord.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    I larks head a spear NTL prussic off the tarp corner pulls then have my spear NTL running thru prussic length of guide line 10' I go that long so I have enough in porch mode . also I can adjust from inside tarp during nasty downpours
    This is what I do as well exept I use tensioners and prussics. One word of caution I learned the hard way, drive or set your stake before you tension the tarp (tensioners, or shock cord). The prussics make it so easy to get the tarp super tight. Don't try and set or drive a stake under tension - makes for a handy missle or dirt/snow in the eyes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    In the few last seconds of that movie I noticed a track for crosscountryskiing.
    I didnīt think you guys "over there" did such a thing, I thought you all used snowshoes.

Cause it is a crosscountryskiing track?
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Images
    Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas.
    What I've decided on for now is to purchase 30 feet of 3mm (1/8") amsteel blue for a ridgeline.
    On this ridgeline I will do the two prussic knot attachments for the main tarp attachments. As shug shows in his video.

I probably won't use this ridgeline everytime just have it made up for those trips went I expect a heavy snow load.
    For most hangs(no snow to moderate snow) I will use 10' of the 3mm amsteel blue attached to the tarp's top support rings and use figure 8's to tighten.

On the 4 corner attachments.
    2 will use 3mm amsteel blue just 2' long and the other two will be 10' long so I can do the walking stick porch mode.
    4 small figure 8's to tighten the 4 corners.

Pullouts will be 8' long, 1/8" shock cord. I plan to only use 1 stake per side for the pullouts.

Finely, 6 snow/sand tent stakes for 4 corners and pullouts. 2 standard Al tent stakes for the door closer lines.

When I get everything together I will post picture of the setup.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-21-2010 at 13:29.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Yeah, that's the way to do the prussic's particularly in winter when you bury your stakes under snow. The prussic needs to be attached to the tarp pull-outs and not at the stake end of the line since you don't have a stake to attach it to. I found that out last winter when I went to stake out my tarp and was like..."wait a minute, I have no stake to hook my prussic loop on."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12