WBBB 1.1, SB 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    BMJ, Custom Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/4" Wide Review

Last Friday night the temps got down to 30°F and I was very comfy in my WBBB. This was the coldest I've hung so far. I overprepared for the temps by wearing too many clothes. I had my baselayers, wool socks, Montbell Thermawrap, toboggan, and MH 20 degree down bag used as a top quilt. I woke up at 4:00 A.M. sweating and had to take layers off.

For bottom insulation I was using the GG 1/4" Wide evazote pad which is 40" wide. It fits perfectly in the BB, almost fitting seam to seam which makes it very easy to stay on during the night. It also covers my shoulders. The pad is only 60 inches long so I did have to have another section of pad under my feet (I'm 6'3").

All in all I think it's a really good option in a ccf pad. It insulates the shoulders, stays in place, and is very warm. Not UL at 11 oz, but not overly heavy either. Good piece of kit.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    30° for a 1/4" pad is pretty impressive. I usually start feeling a chill by the mid 50's with that pad alone. Folded in half to a 30X40 pad I can make it to the mid 40's.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have two of these pads but 1/8" thick and a full 72" long. But, I haven't used them because I went straight to under quilts. How would you compare the comfort to UQ, if you have used them. Also, any condensation problems?

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great review RockChucker30. GG pad is good quality stuff. Better to have more clothes than you need than to Have to sit up all night by the fire with your sleeping bag around you... (No pics, it never happened)

To make the ccf lighter, I would make it 26-30" wide (My shoulders are 21") at the top and taper to 26" and slightly to the Rt about 15 deg into the WBBB footbox. If it slips, run some beads of silicone on the hammock side to prevent this.

A really light footbox extender is 1/8" Minicell which can be rolled up inside the ccf. Left full size it can be used to increase thermal efficiency, cut the wind or use as hammock mat for gear.

Hope this helps!
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have two of these pads but 1/8" thick and a full 72" long. But, I haven't used them because I went straight to under quilts. How would you compare the comfort to UQ, if you have used them. Also, any condensation problems?
    Depends on how much you sweat. I for one sweat a lot. As a result, I tend to get a wet back when using a pad alone. A pad without a double layer hammock is pretty uncomfortable for me. They stick, bind and are just generally unwieldy. With a double layer hammock, I find pads excel in a couple of situations. When temps are not projected to be below the mid 50's or so, a simple 1/4" pad such as the JRB 26X40 serve quite nicely for about 6 ounces. It's a sit pad in camp then doubles as your under insulation. Pads also do well in extremely wet situations that can compromise a synthetic or down UQ since a CCF pad is impervious to water.

Now as far as comfort goes, there is no comparison. To me, an UQ wins hands down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, SB 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    BMJ, Custom Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    30° for a 1/4" pad is pretty impressive. I usually start feeling a chill by the mid 50's with that pad alone. Folded in half to a 30X40 pad I can make it to the mid 40's.
    I doubled up the 1/4" Wide pad with a regular 1/4" (20 inches wide) that was further down my body so it would extend to my feet. I woke up roasting and had to get out of the hammock for a minute and take some clothes off. I like to sleep warm, but not hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I wish mine was 72" long. I haven't tried an UQ yet, so I can't compare. It was really comfortable to me. I didn't have any condensation issues but that may be due to my baselayers.

Quote Originally Posted by soundmanob View Post
    Great review RockChucker30. GG pad is good quality stuff. Better to have more clothes than you need than to Have to sit up all night by the fire with your sleeping bag around you... (No pics, it never happened)

To make the ccf lighter, I would make it 26-30" wide (My shoulders are 21") at the top and taper to 26" and slightly to the Rt about 15 deg into the WBBB footbox. If it slips, run some beads of silicone on the hammock side to prevent this.

A really light footbox extender is 1/8" Minicell which can be rolled up inside the ccf. Left full size it can be used to increase thermal efficiency, cut the wind or use as hammock mat for gear.

Hope this helps!
    Soundman, I thought about cutting the pad down on the angle. If I'm laying in the hammock, I could cut off the right corner near my head and the left corner near my feet. I haven't done it yet though because it is SO easy to get it to stay in place and wrap around me as is. I'm afraid I'll regret cutting it.

Where is a source for the 1/8" minicell? I'd like to take a look at it.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought the 3 sheets of 1/16" (Last summer) because it was on clearance for $7.99 w/ few blemishes. I don't see the 1/8" on the site but you can double it or combine with your 1/4 " Evasote. If you PM me an address I could send you a sample.

Use newspaper to make a template for cutting down a cheap WW ccf then see if you like it.

The web site is: http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html

Beware: Check shipping charges before ordering or go with some others to get free shipping (On orders $75.00 or greater)
    Last edited by soundmanob; 12-21-2010 at 22:27. Reason: Addnl Info added
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The reason most people cut the pads down is because the less stiff pads bunch up at the waist area. If this doesn't bother you (Or you want it to take up less space) then you're set!

I think the biggest advantage of ccf (Besides the $) is you tend to get a flatter lay because it acts as a "Spreader" of the hamock material.

The 1/16" Minicel seems to help in the summer when there is a 65-70 deg night with some wind. No adjustment, just throw it in and you're set. Add another layer for 60-65 deg... Brandon turned me on to it when this discussion came up on a thread.

I would consider the 1/8" evasote by GG for this same purpose...
    Last edited by soundmanob; 12-22-2010 at 08:42. Reason: Another thought

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    The cost is what makes it a prime option. I brought one at Trail Days and one of JR Better pads. I felt they were a little awkward to use in a single layer hammock, but better than nothing. However, I'm not going to be giving up my UQ anytime soon!
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

• + New Posts