Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Superfly guideline recommendations please

Hi Guys,
    In preparation for my new superfly, which will be my winter tarp, what tarp lines and lengths do you recommend.

As I understand it the superfly does not need a ridgeline so that should save me from needing a long length of line.

Also, I would like to use 1/8" shock cord for the pullouts. Could you recommend length and what type of knot would one uses with shock cord?

thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like No-Tangle Line

This may help some:

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    for the tarp to preform like it's supposed to, stake it about as tight as possible (will depend on how secure you can get your stakes). that being the case, shockcord isn't as good, and will wear out quickly. try something tougher, stronger, and low stretch, like the speer no tangle or single braid dyneema.

pitch it extra tight to begin with, and then if it loosens a little overnight, it will still be tight enough in the morning and won't have sagged, with no need for elastic tensioners at all.

Images
    Hi Shug, thanks man. Your videos are so packed with good tips. This video is what inspired me to use shock cord for my pullouts. Love the idea.

From what I could tell from this video your pullouts look to be about 8' long and 4 the corner tie outs look to be about 2-3 foot of non stretch cord? Is that correct?

When I emailed Brandon on the recommended ridgeline for the superfly here is what he said.
    -----Original Message-----
    To: myersvideo <[email protected]>
    Sent: Sat, Dec 11, 2010 1:05 pm
    Subject:

superfly doesn't come with any lines.

a ridgeline isn't needed at all, the edge binding along the ridgeline seam is structural and could handle plenty of weight. also, in any kind of storm, you will be pitched in an a-frame pitch and snow wouldn't be able to build up on the upper 2/3 of the tarp in that configuration anyway, but if it could, the edge binding is more than strong enough so there's no need to worry.

Brandon
    In many of your videos you state your tips are what works best for you and I really like your continuous ridgeline with prussic knot/figure 8 attachments. It's clean, simple and quick.

If snow load was my concern would you recommend I use a ridgeline under the superfly as you have on your DIY tarp?

thanks again my friend you have really helped me get up to speed in the hammock world.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-20-2010 at 13:51. Reason: can't spell or type

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

pitch it extra tight to begin with, and then if it loosens a little overnight, it will still be tight enough in the morning and won't have sagged, with no need for elastic tensioners at all.
    Great tip, I may have to ditch my shock cord loops on the tie-outs and see how it works. Last winter my tarp was always loose in the morning probably due to the tensioners.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    for the tarp to preform like it's supposed to, stake it about as tight as possible (will depend on how secure you can get your stakes). that being the case, shockcord isn't as good, and will wear out quickly. try something tougher, stronger, and low stretch, like the speer no tangle or single braid dyneema.

Thanks Brandon,
    I was typing my response/questions to shug so I didn't see your response until now.

I was only planning to use shockcord on the pullouts not the main tarp tieout, like shug demonstrates in his video. I kinda like that idea for reasons he states. For the tarps 4 corner tieouts the plan is to use a none stretch line like amsteel.

For the ridgeline or "no ridgeline required on the superfly" like you stated in your email. I really like shugs idea of using the prussic knots, which should slip and possible save the tarp from heavy snow load damage. I'm a sound sleeper, once I get tucked in, waking to tap the snow off my tarp might not happen. So I'm trying to make my tarp as bullet proof as possible.

A short side story and why I seem so paranoid with snow loads.
    About 15 years ago I was in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, on a 6 day 5 night flyfishing trip over Thanksgiving weekend. It started snowing about about half way up the trail and snowed for 5 days straight. Back then I was using a large fishnet hammock, ensolite pad, -15 down bag and 8x10 blue tarp held up with 1/4" nylon line. It was not unusual to wake with 6-8" of snow on the tarp.
    By day 3 we had 3' of snow on the ground and when we packed out the snow was 3 - 4' deep for about the first mile. Very scary now that I think back on it.
    That said, I can't wait to do this again but with much better gear.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-20-2010 at 13:15.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post

I was only planning to use shockcord on the pullouts not the main tarp tieout, like shug demonstrates in his video.
    One thing you can do to save a little weight and bulk is to tie a 6 inch loop of shock cord to the pullout loop on the tarp and then use regular line from the shock cord loop at the tarp out to your stake or trekking pole. I am trying that this year instead of using 8 or 10 feet of shock cord on each pullout.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    One thing you can do to save a little weight and bulk is to tie a 6 inch loop of shock cord to the pullout loop on the tarp and then use regular line from the shock cord loop at the tarp out to your stake or trekking pole. I am trying that this year instead of using 8 or 10 feet of shock cord on each pullout.
    thats what i do. i have a 3'ish foot length of shockcord with dead eyes from each pullout.

those link and form a wishbone to a single line of regular 2mm cordage, which can be tied down to the stake.
    hiker pole stands at the intersection of all three.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Don't you still need 6-8' of nonstretch cord to attach to the short shockcord?
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-20-2010 at 13:47.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I use Exped's 2mm reflective dyneema for my guy lines, with a 6" piece of SC for a tensioner.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...1?opendocument

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast