Tarp
    DIY, ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Purchasing an under quilt

Hello all
    I have been hammocking for right at six years now, hiking mainly mid fall thru mid spring. I have been using a sleeping mat for my insulation this whole time and decided that its time to move up in the world. I have narrowed it down to a hammockgear.com under quilt but I have a few questions.

1. Being that I am 5ft. 2in. would the incubator be over kill?
    2. Since I hike mostly in cold weather. If I was to buy a 3 season 3/4 underquilt, would using a sleeping mat help bring down the rating for colder nights or does it hurt the temp. rating?
    3. I have a HHULB hammock will the under quilt lay asymmetrical with the hammock or does to try to constricted the hammock?

Thanks

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Hello there. Fellow NC hiker also.

I dont think it would be overkill, but I think you could save some bucks and get by with a 3/4 just as well. This is just my opinion. You will still need to use something under the part of your legs that isnt covered by a 3/4 quilt, even if it is 6 inches of leg compared to say 10 inches of a taller person.

Using a mat and an under quilt isnt really recommended because the quilt functions as an insulator, and if no heat gets through the pad to the quilt, there is nothing to insulate. You will need a small piece of ccf pad if you use a 3/4 quilt. But that wont be covering the UQ.

I cant help with the HHULB question because I use an ENO top loader and havent tried the Henessey. I'm sure someone will chime in that has though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwinterhiker View Post
    Hello all
    I have been hammocking for right at six years now, hiking mainly mid fall thru mid spring. I have been using a sleeping mat for my insulation this whole time and decided that its time to move up in the world. I have narrowed it down to a hammockgear.com under quilt but I have a few questions.

2. Since I hike mostly in cold weather. If I was to buy a 3 season 3/4 underquilt, would using a sleeping mat help bring down the rating for colder nights or does it hurt the temp. rating?
    3. I have a HHULB hammock will the under quilt lay asymmetrical with the hammock or does to try to constricted the hammock?

Thanks
    ncwinterhiker, First off, good choice on quilt IMHO I'm a big fan of HammockGear.com quilts. As to your questions

1. As for your first question it all depends if your willing to use a 1/4 length CCF pad under your legs or not. If you want no pad at all go full length, if a 1/4 dosent bother you then 3/4. For me I like having that 1/4 length pad, it doubles as a sit pad and in summer my pack frame. Three uses one item.

2. Their is a lot of talk about boosting the temp rating of an UQ buy use of a vapor barrier but thats a whole different discussion and one I still don't really understand but their is a lot to read about it. Just do a search of vapor barriers.

3. And weather you choose the incubator or the crows nest (Sorry Phoenix) you should have no problem laying asymmetrically. I have wide shoulders, sleep in a WBBB and lay on a pretty diagonally and I have no problem with shoulder coverage.

Enjoy which ever one you choose just remember pics or it dident happen.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a different full-length UQ. I figured that I would add a full-size CCF pad when it got crazy cold out, but I've never done it. I've been down to -13F and probably could have used the extra R-factor, but I was warm enough and just didn't want to deal with the pad. Your mileage could certainly vary, just one anecdote.

One thing that has not been provided is what temp range do you plan on using this for? I don't know what the temp ranges are for NC, so I can't add any help there! Also are you a warm sleeper/cold sleeper?
    I will say that I have a HH Hyperlite and every one of my quilts from Adam fit it perfectly!
    Now the Incubator might end up close to a full length UQ for you, so that vs. a Phoenix with weight and pack size might play a factor for you!? You can always use a pad to supplement, just be careful of condensation! You will need a pad for under your feet in the colder temps with a 3/4 UQ like the Phoenix, but quite possible not with the Incubator as you being 5'2", but not that sure there on that!?!?!

Best thing to do would be make it to a hang or see if there is anyone that lives near you that has these UQ's and ask if you can go by and check them out with your hammock?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwinterhiker View Post

Thanks
    1. This is a very subjective question that no one can answer but you. If you go with the Phoenix (Crowsnest) 3/4 length, you will probably need a CCF pad under your feet. If you bring this with you anyway (sit pad, pack frame, etc), then you can save some weight by going with a 3/4 uq. If weight isn't that important to you and/or you don't use a CCF pad, then an Incubator can be simpler with just a single item providing insulation below.

2. You need to know temperatures and whether you are a cold or warm sleeper to answer this question. I will say that you can supplement an uq with things like vapor barriers, pads, hammock socks, etc. On the other hand, you can often create an intentional air gap between the uq and hammock to vent it in warm weather. When in doubt, I would be conservative and order based on the coldest temperature in which you want to hang, then you can vary your top insulation for the specific trip. Most people agree that it is better to have the extra insulation below you rather than above you. Top quilts/bags can be supplemented with warm clothes which you may bring with you anyway, but supplementing an uq means bringing extra gear. Just fyi, the winter quilts from Hammockgear can cost less than overstuffing a 3-season, and they will be warmer also (I went through that exact decision before ordering my winter Incubator).

3. Either of these quilts will accommodate an assym position just fine. When my Blackbird gets here, I will try to get some pics of it with my Incubator attached.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The Phoenix is around 4'-3" and the Incubator is around 6'-4". Only you can make the priority decision weight and stuff size of what you are willing to carry. Me? Incubator is the one I will get next but I am over 6' and a motorcycle will be doing the hard work.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    I need to decide if i get a second phoenix or use that oportunity to switch to a full lenght

How bigger is the stuffed 3 season incubator versus a 3 season phoenix ?
    (Space and weight in my backpack is REALLY important to me)

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i am 5'11" and here is the kind of coverage the crowsnest gives me...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and the 3 season Yeti a 2/3 underquilt is just fine. Small gossamer gear thinlight pad cut down for my legs and I'm good to go down to 27*F
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast