DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr

UQ DIY Suspension/Construction ???

I am going to make 3 UQ's during the next few days and right when I thought I was sure about all the design issues I still have a big question in my mind on how my UQ will be set up. I am making two UQ's for my boys both at 60"x44" and the third is 72"x48". The materials are obviously rip stop 1.1oz camo shell, bright orange liner, and a double layer of Climashield XP 5.0. Now these UQ's will be rectangular and will be assembled as you would per the Potomac KAQ http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq directions as well as the corners being reinforced with cord locks. I actually have several questions. Should I use channels and run shock cord along both sides of the hammock if so what is the main benefits of using along the entire edge or drawback. My other option is to like the KAQ New River add several loops into the sides strategically placed and if the quilt sags can use the loops to tie off to the ride line for support save's in weight I am assuming. This would be my first UQ and I have not had a considerable amount of time or experience around under quilts to know the best way to hang them and keep them positioned and what not. I have noticed on some under quilts there are two cord locks centered at either end and if this is a better way to cinch either end around the hammock or one cord lock positioned on one corner to cinch the end works just as well.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sam:
    IMHO, I would do the corner suspension points and full length side channel. My reason for saying this is: when I hung the UQ using the channel suspension it had a tendency to gather on the shockcord suspension and leave a larger air gap under my butt. This lead to a slight case of CBS. When I hung it only using the corner suspension method I would get drafts in on the side of the UQ causing my shoulders and sides to get cold.

To combine both systems I used Triangle Thingy's from Paul at AHE to suspend the UQ from the corner attachment points,then tide a loop in some shockcord around the foot end attachment point, ran shockcord completely through the channel, through a cordlock and then made a loop around the head end corner attachment back to through the cordlock so I could adjust the side tension. When I combined the two systems I was able to alleviate all drafts from the UQ.

If you need pictures I have some and will post when I get home.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Yeah definitely could use some pictures and you nailed the questions perfectly thanks what a big help. So I am going to start cutting materials soon sweet got to get my camera's ready first though. So I will cut extra materials for a side channel and also use loops at each corner.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

Pics for ya......hope they help!!!!!!!!!

In the first picture you can see where I had the UQ hung just by the channel shockcord.

Picture 2 is the head end of the UQ with the TT's attached to the corner suspension and channel cord attached.

Pic 3 is of the Triangle Thingy's from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment.

Pic 4 is a better picture angle of a shot like #2......

Pic 5 is a picture of the foot end attachment.

Good luck in the UQ making and let me know if you need any more pics or tips I or Mandydawn can help you with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I use channels on all four sides of mine. I like the cord all the way through the sides so you can slide the quilt to exactly where you want it. Set up like this, I've never found a need for the triangles that a lot of people seem to need.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Sam:
    IMHO, I would do the corner suspension points and full length side channel. My reason for saying this is: when I hung the UQ using the channel suspension it had a tendency to gather on the shockcord suspension and leave a larger air gap under my butt. This lead to a slight case of CBS. When I hung it only using the corner suspension method I would get drafts in on the side of the UQ causing my shoulders and sides to get cold.

To combine both systems I used Triangle Thingy's from Paul at AHE to suspend the UQ from the corner attachment points,then tide a loop in some shockcord around the foot end attachment point, ran shockcord completely through the channel, through a cordlock and then made a loop around the head end corner attachment back to through the cordlock so I could adjust the side tension. When I combined the two systems I was able to alleviate all drafts from the UQ.

If you need pictures I have some and will post when I get home.
    Good job on the pics and solution. Bumping it back up to the top so that some more people see it.

The larger (heavier) quilts that use the side channel for suspension sag toward the middle and are the main cause of CBS that has been mentioned on many threads. Are you really going to slide a full length quilt after you have it set? Even some of the fractional UQ's can have the same problem of sagging to the middle with side channel suspension especially the heavier winter quilts.

Your solution will solve many of these complaints. I have thought about this exact set up but never tried it. I am going to try some lighter shockcord on the sides of my full length attached like you have it.

I use channels on all four sides of mine. I like the cord all the way through the sides so you can slide the quilt to exactly where you want it. Set up like this, I've never found a need for the triangles that a lot of people seem to need.
    The point of the Triangles is to pull the UQ up rather than out. This allows you to wrap the UQ around you instead of pulling out towards the end of hammock. These work best on internal ridgeline hammocks. Hammocks with exposed ridgelines can have the UQ attached directly to the ridgeline to accomplish the same thing.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    +1 on the shock cord in a channel on all 4 edges.

on my diy kaq, i folllowed to original directions, including the hand sewn darts. it fits well a DL end gathered hammock with WBBB whipping well.

I strongly prefer sewn channels on the sides (on all MY UQs including diy crowsnest clone) vs. corner tieouts because in my experience they "suck up" to your body better, especially your lower back and butt. When unoccupied, the UQ hangs very high, lifting the hammock.

I also prefer the shock cord channels on the ends on a synthetic because it allows you to vent a little better in warmer weather. I never vent my feet because I have to get out of the hammock to do it. I frequently vent my head because I can put may arms over my shoulders and reach the cordlock on the head end while in the hammock. I often open it up alot, say "I'm cool" and close it off some, then fall asleep.

It doesn't take any more effort to put channels on it and if you decide they are not needed, cut the shock cord to your dimension and your out 40 cents for 2 cordlocks.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Thank you all for your expertise. The pictures give me a great visual. I will be spending the next couple days sewing and cutting and pinning all the while checking in with some photos and probably a few questions. I am also making two hammocks. My boys are around 5 feet tall so I'll make the hammocks about 9 feet and knot it in the end (like a WBBB) what do you think guys?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    Thank you all for your expertise. The pictures give me a great visual. I will be spending the next couple days sewing and cutting and pinning all the while checking in with some photos and probably a few questions. I am also making two hammocks. My boys are around 5 feet tall so I'll make the hammocks about 9 feet and knot it in the end (like a WBBB) what do you think guys?
    If he is already close to 5' I would just make his the same size as yours.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    With the side channels I have no problem with the quilt pulling to the ends of the hammock.
    Jbo

• + New Posts