Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod

Winter Mamba vs. Old Rag Mountain

Does anyone use the Winter Mamba wide/long underquilt? And how does it compare or favor to the Jack's Old Rag Mountain? Both seem to be great top quilts. I like the fact that the Old Rag Mounatin can be used as both a top quilt and an underquilt. It seems to be versatile. The Winter Mamba seems to be more like a streamlined sleeping bag without zipppers.It seems to be more specialized. But it looks wider in the shoulders. So does anyone have any experience using this two different top quilts?

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I have a 3 season mamba (not winter) and its a lot like a 2/3 sleeping bag with the zipper removed. It also has 3 sets of tie outs to tie the two sides together if you want it closed up farther. The gap is probably wider than a sleeping bags but that is due to it not being meant to provide bottom insulation. As for the Old rag... send me one and I'll test/compare for you :-D

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used similar products...the No Sniveler and Nest from JRB, and the GoLite Ultra (not exactly the Mamba, but still a dedicated TQ). You've already identified the differences...the JRB gear is multi-use, while the Mamba is not. That means that the Mamba doesn't have an UQ option, but that makes it lighter for the same performance as a TQ (no velcro/drawstring/cordlock for the footbox). And obviously the dimensions.

Beyond that, it's just style...which fits your hiking habits better? For example, once I settled on partial UQs for most trips, I no longer needed the flexibility to use a piece of gear as a TQ or an UQ. (MWUQ4 is the exception...I still flip that one around, mainly depending on who's using it that trip.) I do like the flexibility of JRB's wearable quilts, though. I don't use it all the time, but several times I've been very glad I had it.

You can also get JRB's quilts with sewn footboxes if you like the ORM but don't need the flexibility of using it as an UQ.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    I have an ORM in long, & it is roomy for me, at 6'3", 210. I have never been cold using it as a TQ. Never used it for an UQ, but have an extra JRB suspension for it that works just like their dedicated UQ's.

Quick question about JRB with sewn in footbox:

Does this option come normal with leaving off the velcro/ drawstring/ cordlock?

Or does the normal sewn in option come with v/d/c too?

+ Warbonnet
    + Weapons
    + Wilderness Press

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From JRB's Website:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Modifica...n%20Foot%20box

The Sewn In Foot Box modifications eliminates the omni-tape, draw cord, and cordlocks used to create the footbox (approximately 0.6 oz.) by permanently sewing the foot box across the bottom and 18 inches up the sides of the quilt.
    Sewn In Foot Box Mod (No Charge)
    I haven't seen how the footbox is shaped after they sew it, though...I'm sure someone has pics. That may be an interesting comparison with the Mamba that I don't have any info on.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    ...that makes it lighter for the same performance as a TQ (no velcro/drawstring/cordlock for the footbox).
    One clarification...I wasn't saying that the quilts weigh the same and have the same performance. They obviously don't match up exactly...just that having components that you wouldn't use anyway makes one less efficient for a given temp/weight ratio (if you actually don't use those components). And the different dimensions obviously affect the weight as well.

Both are very good pieces of gear from folks who stand behind their products, and I think you'll be pleased with either.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Black Mambas have smaller baffles and are slightly overstuffed to boot, so the down doesn't shift as much as the JRB quilts. The round bottom footboxes offer a much roomier sleep for your feet. I didn't think I'd care for the footboxes all that much, but they really are dreamy.

JRB quilts are multifunction; how can you not love that!? Trifunction would be the word I suppose; topquilt, underquilt, and insulated poncho, oh my! My Rocky Mtn. Sniveler is one of my most cherished pieces of gear. It has been on top of me during some of my coldest nights and kept me nice and toasty.

Like Jeff, I use partial length underquilts, so I no longer have need of the convertible nature of the JRB quilts and I think the Mambas do a slightly better job as a topquilt. In the end, I carry my Mambas a little more often, but I do still carry both with great pride and security. Can't go wrong with either of those shops IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The ORM doesn't have a headhole, btw. Glad Cannibal could answer the footbox question...my feet are usually the coldest part of my body.

Hrm...looks like a Winter Mamba may be on the books for...my wife. I'll just borrow it sometimes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I'll just borrow it sometimes.
    I know that feeling! I've got visitation rights on the SnugFit, but she has full-time custody.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast