Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Preparation for my first Colorado Winter Hang...

...and future winter hanging in the Rockies.

Hi All,
    Although I have been hanging for many years I have not done any winter hanging in Colorado. I XCski, snowshoe and day hike in winter but never overnite.

I am assembling a completely new kit for this first of many over nite trips and would like your input, suggestions, ideas.

Temperature during the day can vary between 0F and 50F, at night the temps can range between 20F and -10F you just never know what mother nature will throw at you this time of year.
    So far real winter weather has not arrived on the front range.

My new kit contains the following new and old items.
    Shelter:
    Hammock- WBBB 1.1 double, Tarp- WB superfly, UQ- WB 3 season, Top cover- AE BB-O, Western Mountaineering -15 down bag, Heatsheet spaceblanket and HH open cell foam pad to go between the hammock bottom layers. Ditty bag with assortment of tent stakes, extra line.

Clothing:
    Watchmans cap, balacava, Arcteryx Shell with hood, Marmot heavy down jacket, Arcteryx 1/4 zip heavy micro fleece top, Mtn Hardware syn over pants, Rail Riders nylon winter pants, Cabelas Heavy silk underware. Smartwool Exp wool socks(3pair) Smartwool glove liners, Marmot winter ski gloves. Merrell polartec waterproof 8" boots. Ski goggles yellow, clear, dark gray interchangable lenses, sun glasses.

Food Prep:
    2 half gallon water bottles, 100oz bladder, MSR XGK EX Extreme Condition Stove (white gas), 2- 8oz gas bottles, MSR 1 qt pot with lid and 8" MSR skillet. Pot holder, spork, assorted bottles of spices, travel size wet-ones for clean up.

MISC Gear:
    Kahtoola MICROspikes, Walking poles, ditty bag with advil, lipbalm, match-safe, sm flashlite, compass, extra batteries, TP, small firstaid kit, etc.
    Headlamp.

To carry all this gear I have a 20 year old Lowe internal frame ~5500ci

In deep snow conditions I have MSR snowshoes and DIY pulk sled for the pack.

So anyway this is my winter kit assembled from new and old equipment.

What have I left out? ...... I know I know a horse to carry it all, LOL

Suggestions, ideas, comments welcome.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-22-2010 at 17:03. Reason: cant spell cant type always forget stuff

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Me thinks you'll be fine.

You've got plenty of gear there to combat the chill and I can just about promise you there will be extra gear around the site if something needs to be dealt with at camp. We had at least a couple of first time hangers at last year's Annual Colorado Winter Hang. They all did great!
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I might suggest a system that allows you to go to the ground if the need arises. Last time I was snowshoeing a 14er in Colorado we got caught in a bad storm with high winds, not really fit for a hammock IMO (although I'm sure there are ways. The other advantage would be if you have to camp above the tree line. I'm not sure if this needs to be a consideration, depending on where you go and what your plans are.

Looks like you have a lot of great stuff there, though. I am sure it will be an awesome trip and I look forward to hearing about it.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Just saw Cannibal's post after I got mine posted. I didn't realize this was a group hang, I thought it was a small trip. That'll most definitely mean that you'll be below the treeline, I'm guessing. Still, depending on other trips you take, it might still be worth a consideration to take a bivy sack or soemthing.
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Butt Stephen View Post
    I might suggest a system that allows you to go to the ground if the need arises. Last time I was snowshoeing a 14er in Colorado we got caught in a bad storm with high winds, not really fit for a hammock IMO (although I'm sure there are ways. The other advantage would be if you have to camp above the tree line. I'm not sure if this needs to be a consideration, depending on where you go and what your plans are.

Looks like you have a lot of great stuff there, though. I am sure it will be an awesome trip and I look forward to hearing about it.
    Hi Stephen, Going to ground, that's a great idea.
    My first outing with this kit will be a group hang the local front-range boys have invited me on. However I'm building this kit based around solo self contained trips.
    I'm recently retired so I do a lot of solo stuff midweek.

thank you for the idea and suggestion.

Hi Cannibal, Looking forward to meeting you.
    I hope you are ready for a ton of questions when we get to camp.
    I've never setup this kit up and my plan is to bring an assortment of line, figure8's etc hoping the group would help me with the setup.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-22-2010 at 16:56. Reason: Cant spell cant type always forget stuff

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With a 3s partial UQ, you might want a cheap full-length CCF pad to get you thru a Colorado winter night. That'll cover you for going to ground, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting this OutandBack. I've got a few holes to plug for a winter campout and your list gives me a good idea where to start.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    Thanks for posting this OutandBack. I've got a few holes to plug for a winter campout and your list gives me a good idea where to start.
    Your welcome.
    Forgetting a piece of gear on a winter outing can be a real bummer and maybe even dangerous.

I see in the Colorado Group Hang post you are planning to join us. That's great.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25485

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    With a 3s partial UQ, you might want a cheap full-length CCF pad to get you thru a Colorado winter night. That'll cover you for going to ground, too.
    I'm already packing the HH open celled foam pad to supplement the 3/4 length 3S UQ. Had planned to install it between the bottom layers of the WBBB.

Looking thru my tent camping gear, would a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Air Mattress be a better choice over the HH open cell? It sure packs nicer.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-23-2010 at 04:30.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The layers can squish the OCF a bit, but it'll still help. Not sure if it'll help enough but you could test it and find out. The neoair would be warmer...definitely worth testing.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast