Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

NeoAir

The NeoAir pad is not suitable for temperatures below freezing. I have one and it is great three season, but you are better off doubling up on closed cell foam pads at lower temperatures.

I have never spent an unplanned night above timberline. Sometimes you solve problems by hiking to a lower place.

However there are times where you might want to go to the ground to stay above timberline. An example is Segment 7 of the Colorado Trail. We planned to be at the 12,600 high point about 3:00 pm and stayed for the night because the weather was stable. I have a picture of sunrise in my gallery.

I good air/ground kit is a shorty NeoAir combined with a couple of 1/8" closed cell pads.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a shorty neoair, too...mainly for flying on C-17s over the pond so I can sleep on the floor, and so I have a backup for above treeline like you described, food. Haven't had to carry it for that yet, though.

Since it's the 20" wide version, I wasn't too thrilled with it in the hammock under my torso (single-layer hammock). Didn't try it under my legs but it seems like it wouldn't be comfortable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes, The shorty NeoAir can work in warm weather, but is never as comfortable as an underquilt. When the weather goes below freezing then you are better off doubling up on ccf pads.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Yes, The shorty NeoAir can work in warm weather, but is never as comfortable as an underquilt. When the weather goes below freezing then you are better off doubling up on ccf pads.
    Thanks for the tip and discussion, food.
    Sounds like the neoair doesn't have much insulation in its baffles.
    That's probably why it packs so small.

My WB hammock should ship this week, ordered Dec10th. Looks like I need to do a few porch hangs with it to get the under insulation figured out.

On the Warbonnet website Brandon recommends a microcell CCF.
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks101.php

I think I will order a full sheet (72' x48") of this microcell foam and cut to fit my BB.
    http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Your welcome.
    Forgetting a piece of gear on a winter outing can be a real bummer and maybe even dangerous.

I see in the Colorado Group Hang post you are planning to join us. That's great.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25485
    Yes, I make the trip up to Colorado a couple of times per year to visit with my sister and her family in Westminister. We lived in Colorado Springs a few years ago and if it wasn't for my work, we'd probably still be there... Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first winter hangout and meeting folks who know a thing or two about hammocking--I'm a noob all the way around...
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    MrsMustardman carries the shortie neoair solely to use as a camp chair with her gear hammock / Jerry chair. I make fun of her for carrying the extra weight for just a chair, but she does look mighty comfortable around the campfire

Amusingly, we haven't tried it in a hammock yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    On the Warbonnet website Brandon recommends a microcell CCF.
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks101.php

I think I will order a full sheet (72' x48") of this microcell foam and cut to fit my BB.
    http://www.foambymail.com/Minicel.html
    I have volara, also sold by foambymail.com. I would be curious to test the two, minicell vs. volara. Here is what foambymail writes about the two, with volara appearing to get the nod for thermal concerns:

Minicell: "Good thermal insulator"

Volara: "excellent thermal insulation"

I have used 1/2 + 1/4 (or is it 1/8?) thickness volara to 16F and was comfortable, but have not had a chance to test it lower.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    I have volara, also sold by foambymail.com. I would be curious to test the two, minicell vs. volara. Here is what foambymail writes about the two, with volara appearing to get the nod for thermal concerns:

Minicell: "Good thermal insulator"

Volara: "excellent thermal insulation"

I have used 1/2 + 1/4 (or is it 1/8?) thickness volara to 16F and was comfortable, but have not had a chance to test it lower.
    Hi bwg, that's interesting. I have not tried either. I am just going on Brandon's recommendation.

I am also wondering how well the new CCF materials hold up to flexing in subzero weather. Did you have any issues rolling the volara up when cold?
    My only CCF experience is with Ensolite from 25 years ago.
    The first CCF they ever put on the market. That stuff would freeze and crack or break into pieces when you tried to role it up.

Since the minicell is so cheap I ordered the 2 pieces Brandon recommended and will test them on my deck once it gets a bit colder at night.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-23-2010 at 21:59.

No issues rolling the volara so far. My widest piece must be folded (about 48" wide) before I roll it. Have used on many camping trips and about 20 nights sub-32. No sub-0 here in Georgia, however, so cannot comment on volara behavior at that temperature.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12