Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images

Doublenest - Ridgeline or Re-Sling?

I have been playing around with my Doublenest, which I usually just use for dayhikes as a lounger, as a spare for a friend, and sometimes as a sleep system for my ladyfriend and I. Since I've been making DIY hammocks and putting DIY whoopies on them, I decided to switch out the uber-heavy, less than reputable biner/slapstrap system for slings/toggles/huggers. I used braided poly in the channels, and used the fixed eye and wrap system for the slings, but now it seems like the hammock is creating too strange of a lay. It has been so long since I used the DN, that I can't remember if the sides were always so prone to wrapping around me or if its just since I added the slings. Anyway, I can't get a good diagonal, and I'm wondering if I ought to re-do the slings and channel or if I should just make an adjustable ridgeline. If I DO make a SRL, does anyone have a length range that they use for the DN that works well? I could just make a huge sling, but I'd rather not waste the amsteel if I can help it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    There is a general guideline used for the ridgeline measurement. I think it is about 83% of the hammock length. This should get you close to the correct RL length, but make you RL adjustable and you can fine tune it to your likings. The edge material will wrap around you when you are not on a steep diagonal, normally. At least it does on my modded DN. I hopoe this helps!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There is no magic in ridgelines...all they offer is repeatability, and a place to hang stuff.

I doubt that anything has changed. More likely, your memory is messing with you. Adjust your suspension...the sweet spot is still there, waiting for you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    More likely, your memory is messing with you.

I wish I could remember a time when mine wasn't.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Yeah, don't think the suspension is the culprit. Maybe i'm wrong but I changed mine out for amsteel and it was the same. My RL on both my ENO's is adjustable between 88 and 105 inches I believe. I would have to measure it to be exact.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    There is no magic in ridgelines...all they offer is repeatability, and a place to hang stuff.

I doubt that anything has changed. More likely, your memory is messing with you. Adjust your suspension...the sweet spot is still there, waiting for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    Yeah, don't think the suspension is the culprit. Maybe i'm wrong but I changed mine out for amsteel and it was the same. My RL on both my ENO's is adjustable between 88 and 105 inches I believe. I would have to measure it to be exact.
    Smart aleck previous post aside, I do agree with the other comments. The ridgeline is a convenience item for acheiving the same sag consistently. (It's also darn handy.)

In addition, you will find some degree of extra fabric wrap with the DN, it's just the nature of the beast.

One thing you might check though is the fabric gathered on the ends. I recently made a smililar change and found that the first time I ran a new line through the channel and gathered the fabric together that the sides were not evenly pulled on the gather but they appeared twisted with one side and the middle pulling tighter than the other side. Not sure how else to describe it and don't have a picture, but with a little fine tuning of how the fabric was gathered, I achieved a flatter lay, (lay, lie, laid... whatever).

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    Haha thanks for the humor and responses, folks! I'll be making an adjustable ridgeline early next week, and I'll toy with the thing some more. My girlfriend said that the sides were the same as they always had been, so I'm probably just so used to the lay of the HH that anything else feels off.

Either way, I'm thinking I'll swap out the poly cord in the gathered ends for mason line, for the sake of weight

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I would be careful using mason line in the hammock suspension.......I don't think it is rated for the weight that will be incurred when you load the hammock. It is great for tarp ridgelines and guyouts but not rated for suspension use.............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    No worries bigbama! I'm just using it in the channel to gather the ends, the suspension is all Amsteel!

Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    I guess I have some things to learn... I am a noob and tinkering with the hang of my DoubleNest. After a lot of frustration and trial and error by means I won't bore you with, I tried a ridgeline of 114" and things seemed better. After reading this thread I can shorten even further... WOW!!

I am going to get this right!! I am going to get this right!!

Great forum!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast