Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Top Quilt for hammock and Ground

I'm 6' even 250lbs and I split my backpacking between my Hennessy for solo trips and my Tarptent for trips with the female hiking companion. What i am looking for is a sleeping bag / top quilt that will work for me on the ground and in the hammock. I know that most quilts will work in the hammock but I am specifically looking for a wide TQ for dual use. I want something three season. Warbonnet Wide Mamba 3 season is the only one i can find. I want got get a 3 season Phoenix eventually and a matching set would be nice does Hammock Gear make custom orders? I guess I just want suggestions on a good WIDE 3 season TQ. Thanks you guys are great.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Looks like enLIGHTened Equipment makes a rather pricey TQ along with Nunatak.

Serious contenders are the JRB Sierra Sniveller, the Warbonnet Mamba, and possibly the Owyhee depending on its width as I cant find it on his site.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Going to the ground, your likely to have a pad and a ground cloth.
    So most of the topquilts will work. They may be a little tricky, limiting how much rolling and turning you do at night. As you roll around, the quilt may expose some drafts, then you need to readjust to seal the open edges back down to the pad.

A regular sleeping bag can be used as a topquilt in the hammock and will perform as normal on the ground.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    I prefer a wider quilt also and have the sierra sniveller with the full length omni-tape option. This allows me to put omni-tape on my sleep pad and connect the quilt to the pad when I do use a t#$t (censored) They also offer quilt wings which I'm looking at right now.

The only other one I've found is the mamba, I'm emailing with Brandon right now on a winter long/wide version.
    Last edited by R3l@x; 12-24-2010 at 05:57.
    --
    John

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look at the JRB line; the Sierra Sniveller (High Sierra Sniveller for winter). This line is wider at the shoulders than the rest of their line and meant for ground use. I'm 6'2" and I'm down to 220lbs (about a size 46-48 jacket) and this quilt proved plenty of room. I was worried about a narrow quilt and feeling pinned down. I'm also a side sleeper too. At one point in the night I had to get up and I actually go beck under the quilt with e Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket on (it was 7* and I wasn't taking off my jacket until I was under my quilt) and fit just fine....this jacket is puffy too.

I've only had my JRB HSS out once so I can't give you any longterm feedback but I am satisfied so far. I would say that their temperature rating is true to their statements. The only time I got cold was when I got up and left my bag.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh and if you want any pics or have any questions about details of how the quilt works, let me know and I'll try to get you whatever you need. I'm close to your body size so I may be able to clear up any questions.

Sorry for the double post.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The only difference between a "hammock" quilt and a "ground" quilt is it's width.
    The quilt on the ground has to cover you from the ground to your left to the ground to your right, plus something on each side to tuck in. Also, remember, if you sleep on an inflated mattress, that will lift you up off the ground and required a still wider quilt.

The situation is different in a hammock where the sides (and under quilt) of the hammock wrap up around you, sort of meeting the top quilt part way. Therefore, a true gram weenie will take advantage of this and use narrower quilts, but be at a disadvantage going to ground.

Since, you want a multipurpose quilt, simply size what you need for ground, and it will work in the hammock.

Since, everyone is built differently, lay under a blanket on the floor with whatever pad you will use. Make sure one edge of the blanket is just touching the floor on one side and have someone else place pins in the blanket on the other side where it touches the floor. Remember to lay the same way you sleep, on your side, back, fetal, etc.

Then don't forget to add to that width, something to tuck in under you or under the pad, depending on your preference. Again, true gram weenies would make the "wings" to tuck in out of a single layer of nylon.

As explained well earlier, Jacks-R-Better illustrates this principle in the different quilts they offer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I have a GoLite 3-season ultralight quilt and I really like it. I haven't used it on the ground yet (thankfully), but it's pretty nice in the hammock. It was designed to be used on the ground so I see no reason to think it wouldn't work there. Picked mine up for a song at the seasonal GoLite factory store - wholesale prices, baby!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I have a Hammock Gear Burrow and just received the JRB No Sniveller. I think either would work fine on the ground, and I often sleep in front of the TV using these. The three-season Burrow is warmer, but the JRB No Sniveller is more versatile as it can be a UQ, TQ, or as a garment.

I know some folks have extra-wide Burrows, so Adam was doing custom orders.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Katabatic gear

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast