Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

Warbonnet vs Explorer UL vs BMBH????

I've got a HH Hyperlite. I'm 6'0 195lbs. I enjoy it, but I struggle sometimes with the hyperextension of my knees. Wondering if moving to a longer hammock would solve that.

I prefer to sleep on my stomach, but sleeping on my side in a hammock has never been a problem. On significant backpacking trips where weight is a primary concern I will probably use the Hyperlite, but looking for something more comfy when car camping. I do have the 4 season set of UQ from JRB, and do not want to have to invest in any other UQ.

Any suggestions where weight is less of a concern and comfort is main concern? I am not into DIY.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I have the Hyperlite and the Blackbird. While both are great hammocks, I find the Blackbird slightly more comfortable and I don't have knee issues in it as I do in the Hyperlite. I'm 6' and 185 and I'm a side-sleeper.

If you sleep on your stomach, the BMBH might be the best if weight isn't an issue. I haven't tried the BMBH, though. The Blackbird has some other conveniences like the zipper and the shelf that make it my preferred hammock over the Hyperlite. Your quilts should work on any of those hammocks.
    Last edited by Trooper; 12-24-2010 at 09:25.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    hello dawgu, having had both a hh ultr backpacker and then the BMBH i did notice that the BMBH was much easier on the knees, having said that the only thing i didnt like about it was the need to carry the spreader bars and when your in the hammock its like laying in a bathtub,you cant see much out the sides. hope this helps.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The UQs have nothing to do with hyper extension of Knees ... That is a hammock issue.

Those JRB quilts will fit every hammock except the Clark double...so you are good to go regardless of your hammock choice.

There has never been a BMBH user who had your hyper extended knee issue.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    JRB UQ will fit any hammock out there...besides the clark like Pan said...
    for car camping any of the 3 hammocks will do i have tried all of them and i really liked the BMBH ...it's a solid hammock and it's a really flat lay
    The WBBB is my goto hammock...i really like the feel of the WBBB
    and the foot box rocks
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The UQs have nothing to do with hyper extension of Knees ... That is a hammock issue.

Those JRB quilts will fit every hammock except the Clark double...so you are good to go regardless of your hammock choice.

There has never been a BMBH user who had your hyper extended knee issue.

Pan
    Certainly that is true for me.

Wow, what a bunch of hammock variables and pros and cons to consider!
    I think I ( 6'1" 210) probably have at least minimal knee hyper-extension in my WBBB, HH UL Expl, and every other gathered end/channel hammock except maybe the HH Safari. More important to me I get left calf pressure to one degree or another in all of these except Safari. This even varies by either exactly how the hammock is hung or how I lay in it. Sometimes it is barely noticeable pressure, other times it is unbearable. Bottom line is: I just put something under my knees or legs for both hyper-extension or pressure. Sometimes a leg pad is enough, but usually some form of "pillow" under the knees. For me, flat on my back, comfort in my HH Expl UL and WBBB 1.7 double ( or Claytor No Net) are essentially equal above the legs. The difs come down to suspensions, nets, shelves, etc. All need a knee pillow for me, though some more than others.

I'm beginning to think there is a significant dif between the expedition size HHs and Explorer( and especially safari). For one thing, ever notice that Explorers for sale here are rare as hen's teeth? But my UL Explorer remains one of my favs, for one reason it allows me to use my HHSS. The Explorer ( and Safari) have a unique quality I have only recently discovered. If I lay on my RIGHT side in full fetal, (my back against the side of the hammock where my left shoulder normally goes, feet/knees against the other side) they are the most comfy hammocks in this specific position. Certainly 100% as comfy as any ( the BMBH would be equal plus comfy on left side, but I can not go full fetal in it).

There is only one gathered hammock that I can avoid knee/calf problems pretty much 100%: HH Safari. Even then, I usually have to find the exact right sweet spot, but I can always do it. But the only hammock guaranteed for me to be free of those problems is the BMBH, period. That is it's forte, there really is no competition. There is not even any hunting for the sweet spot. It is also consistently the best for side sleeping with legs straight or slight fetal, as far as side "torque" or extension goes. Plus, it is hands down best with a pad. Plus, it is a no hassle joy to use with the JRB MW4. The best quilt/hammock idiot proof combo I know of. ( second most idiot proof: some GE hammocks and PeaPod, and 1st place if you consider top warmth)

But as always, pros and cons. I prefer the shoulder room available in the WBBB, HHExpl/Safari and Claytor. It is not at all that my shoudlers are uncomfortable or squeezed in the BMBH, I am quite comfy overall. But I do enjoy the extra room in the others. The spreader bars/tarp are an additional challenge(can be solved though). I can not lay full fetal. I can not use my beloved Pea Pod.

I seem to lean towards the BMBH as over all favorite for the last year or so. Probably because I tend to have more trouble with calf pressure than most. Though lately I have been using my other hammocks more, mainly due to a desire to play with the Pea Pods IX UQs, HHSS and/or WB Syn Yeti. And combos there of. But I have kind of been missing my BMBH and may have to get back there.

So what is for you: WBBB, HH Expl or BMBH? Who the heck knows, they each have their advantages. So, you probably need all of them!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-25-2010 at 09:07.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Nice write up. Sums it up pretty much in one post, what it will take you hours to discern by wading through all the other similar threads. (Although I wouldn't trade the time spent getting my feet wet in any of those either).

These are pretty much the three I had narrowed things down to.

Although the Claytors, and Clarks going off in th FS thread, have been tempting

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I have the WBBB and JRB bridge, been it the bridge alot lately, but then again it's the newer of the 2 I own. The bridge is like a bathtub, but I can get on my side easier in it. I like both but the
    bridge lays flatter if you want to try your stomach
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Nice write up. Sums it up pretty much in one post, what it will take you hours to discern by wading through all the other similar threads. (Although I wouldn't trade the time spent getting my feet wet in any of those either).

These are pretty much the three I had narrowed things down to.

Although the Claytors, and Clarks going off in th FS thread, have been tempting
    Thanks, glad it was helpful. All just my opinion of course. People vary on their experiences wit various hammocks. IOW, YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty7997 View Post
    I have the WBBB and JRB bridge, been it the bridge alot lately, but then again it's the newer of the 2 I own. The bridge is like a bathtub, but I can get on my side easier in it. I like both but the
    bridge lays flatter if you want to try your stomach
    Yes, a BH is a unique hamm. experience. I also love the extreme ease of changing position. I brace the under side of my upper arms on the STIFF upper hammock edges and I can be flipped from side to side faster than Santa came down my Chimney last night! Or, grab the edges over my head and pull up as far as needed.

I love the way my JRB UQ wraps a bit up the sides and foot/head ends. It is impossible to turn and come off of the quilt or have it slip off of your shoulder or feet. Simply never happens, plus my head is insulated.

Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS
    OK. Thanks for the feedback. Given that I own a HH, I guess I'll try something else. If I narrowed it to the WB or the BMBH, which would you buy?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast