Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Do I need a continuous loop attachment?

Just got my new JRB complete suspension and like most others I like it a lot but I have a couple of questions.

It came with continuous loops to attach to the hammock and then dutch biners to attach the whoopies to the loop. My question is, do I need the loop or can I just larkshead the fixed end of the whoopie to the hammock?

I know this will make the suspension less portable to other hammocks but that is not much of a concern to me. Since I tend to lose or forget items that are not attached, my idea is to have a complete suspension for each of my hammocks.

Question two: Will it damage the webbing or whoopie if I larkshead the whoopie to the loop on the hugger instead of using a biner or a MSH? I "think" I can do multiple tree wraps to adjust hugger length....

Thanks!

-jeff

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have my suspension (not a JRB) as follows:

Tree huggers with closed loops at ends attached to the tree with Dutch Clips.
    Whoopie slings with the fixed eye sewn permanently inside the tree hugger loops.
    Dutch Biner attaching the Whoopie to a 8" (closed) continuous loop.
    The continuous loop is larks headed around the hammock end knot.

Here is the advantage of this approach. The huggers and whoopies are exposed to the weather outside the tarp. That wet suspension can be quickly detached from the hammock via the Dutch Biner and packed away separately. The small continuous loops (that are protected by the tarp) is the only part of the suspension packed away with the hammock.

Also, that Dutch Biner acts as a drip ring!

Wait ... I here the big brown truck pulling up to the house ... delivery from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics! Gotta go fire up the thread injector.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Ditto

Ditto what MAD said and...

I had the same question and finances basically made my decision for me. I figure I already paid for the dutch biners and loops so why not use them. I set up everything according to the photos on the JRB site (hammock-loop-biner-whoopie-strap-dutch clip). I've worried that the extra loop and clip will will increase the size of my minimum hang distance. So far in FL though I really haven't had a problem finding trees with the correct spacing.

With the exception of clipping two zipties I could always accomplish this in the woods if I really had to. Saving a few grams would be nice too but I'm not quite a "gram weenie" yet.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have my suspension (not a JRB) as follows:

Tree huggers with closed loops at ends attached to the tree with Dutch Clips.
    Whoopie slings with the fixed eye sewn permanently inside the tree hugger loops.
    Dutch Biner attaching the Whoopie to a 8" (closed) continuous loop.
    The continuous loop is larks headed around the hammock end knot.

Here is the advantage of this approach. The huggers and whoopies are exposed to the weather outside the tarp. That wet suspension can be quickly detached from the hammock via the Dutch Biner and packed away separately. The small continuous loops (that are protected by the tarp) is the only part of the suspension packed away with the hammock.

Also, that Dutch Biner acts as a drip ring!

Wait ... I here the big brown truck pulling up to the house ... delivery from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics! Gotta go fire up the thread injector.
    I hadn't thought of the weather aspect. I thought the tail end of the whoopie would act as a drip string but I hadn't considered wet huggers as a separate packing item.

How about my second question...will a larkshead from the whoopie to the hugger damage either of them?

-jeff

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post

How about my second question...will a larkshead from the whoopie to the hugger damage either of them?

-jeff
    Shouldn't be a problem but in the long run you may want to keep an eye on it for any signs of friction damage. Can't say I have read about any problems but cord to strap contact could be a potential issue. Its good practice anyways to periodically inspect your susension.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts