Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Side Sleeping

Side Sleeping

I was poking around over on WB and noticed several references to poor side sleeping in the Hennessy. The question is: Are you a side sleeper?And if so, do you sleep comfortably in your Hennessy?

I am a side sleeper and sleep like a hibernating bear in my Explorer UL and Deluxe!
    Last edited by rasputen; 12-19-2007 at 17:00.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I was one of those that posted over there. Could never get comfortable enough in my Hennessy or other hammocks. That's the reason I bought a bridge hammock. I'm definitely in the minority around here about that but I would bet there are plenty of folks who are side sleepers that have given up on hammocks.
    Side torque and fetal curl is bothersome to many.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have to pull my knees up some to lay on my side in the HH. I just made a bridge and side sleeping is really comfortable with it. The longer the HH or DIY the easier it gets.

P.S. You could hang a bridge hammock over the the creek and fish while laying on your stomach

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can sleep ok on my side in the HH...just can't stretch all the way out when I'm on my side. Not quite fetal, but close. Still, it's a comfy hammock. I like my DIY ones better, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Side sleeper here. I have not paid attention enough to know if I pull my knees up or not... but I do sleep comfortably!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    P.S. You could hang a bridge hammock over the the creek and fish while laying on your stomach
    Hehe, Talk about a lazy man's way of fly fishing. I sure would feel vulnerable from above and any sound of banjo's!

Just Jeff....
    I can sleep ok on my side in the HH...just can't stretch all the way out when I'm on my side. Not quite fetal, but close. Still, it's a comfy hammock. I like my DIY ones better, though.
    So, what is it that makes a DIY hammock better for side sleeping? Overall length, width, combo of the two or other factors?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Probably a combo. I've only used the HH BULA, which isn't the longest model. Then I started experimenting with the DIYs and found them more comfy. Plus I like the top entry most of the time, especially in winter since I don't need the bug net.

My first DIY was a two-layer and my second was polyester - I think the lesser stretch made it more comfy for me, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think the whipping style has something to do with it too. I had a DIY whipped HH style that I could not find a good side spot. I re-whipped it using a method WBG suggested putting a string thru the hem and pulling it up evenly and it is my best DIY side sleeper before I made the bridge. The hammock is 11' x 58" so I can get almost flat when I lay on the asym. The HH style whipping creates a high center line which supports the knees when on your back but hinders side sleeping to a degree.

Just Jeff.. Probably a combo. I've only used the HH BULA, which isn't the longest model. Then I started experimenting with the DIYs and found them more comfy. Plus I like the top entry most of the time, especially in winter since I don't need the bug net.
    Ya, I really like my no-net Deluxe. It's very comfy and I have decided to sew the entry slit together. I toss and turn like I'm in a dryer and get tired of kicking my feet through the velcro. For some reason it's not a problem in my Explorer,hummm?
    Last edited by rasputen; 12-16-2007 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I think the whipping style has something to do with it too. I had a DIY whipped HH style that I could not find a good side spot. I re-whipped it using a method WBG suggested putting a string thru the hem and pulling it up evenly and it is my best DIY side sleeper before I made the bridge. The hammock is 11' x 58" so I can get almost flat when I lay on the asym. The HH style whipping creates a high center line which supports the knees when on your back but hinders side sleeping to a degree.
    Interesting points not considered initially. Good stuff... I'm looking forward to my hammock degree! Ok, maybe not, that's probably when the fun ends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast