Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    Gris,

I have been wanting to do the LHT for years. I will continue to follow this thread as you hammer out the details and get things nailed down. Sorry! Couldn't help but throw in some carpenter humor

IMHO, the only way to do the LHT is SOUTH bound starting in Johnstown. Yes, "the detour" b/c of the bridge over the T-Pike. Yes, fees...<sigh>... I have day-hiked bits of the LHT and loved it!

Hope you make the combo MAHHA & Ruck at Pine Grove!

Happy New Year!
    SOBO seems to make the most since to me (your mileage may very) Day one gives me time to get out there with one long climb up and out of Johnstown with around 13.2 miles. Day two would be my longest day with around 18.5 miles to cover, but it appears to be a fairly level section according to the elevation profile on Danes website. Day three would be shorter with a chance to rest up or resupply for the hardest day of the trip. I figured on day four I would have my legs under me, and my pack weight would be as low as I could get it for the section of the trail with the most elevation change around 18 miles. Day five would basically be 6.5 miles out to Ohio Pyle and plenty of time for lunch and the ride home. And lastly even if we can’t stay the night at Pine Grove there’s no excuse not to make it out to say howdy, PGSP is less than an hour from our house…. Hope to see you all there

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Gris,
    Yea his site is where I found the info, but I am a little confused on the whole registration thing! I went to the PA link site and the way it was broken down was you/I/someone would have to register for every shelter on the specific day you are to arrive at it during your hike and they go into a thing of its best to pay online via credit card, or you can pay at the trailhead, but nothing lists a total price for a thru hike of the trail, as it would make it waaaayyyyy easier to pay and register !

Thats for the reply, keep us posted on your decisions! I am sill trying to iron out my work days off for the year and plan my trips around that!
    I don’t think there is a price for thru hike but I will try to follow up with the park office on Monday. I sent Dane a couple of emails last year and he was real good about responding, I will try to follow up with him as well.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    SOBO seems to make the most since to me (your mileage may very) Day one gives me time to get out there with one long climb up and out of Johnstown with around 13.2 miles. Day two would be my longest day with around 18.5 miles to cover, but it appears to be a fairly level section according to the elevation profile on Danes website. Day three would be shorter with a chance to rest up or resupply for the hardest day of the trip. I figured on day four I would have my legs under me, and my pack weight would be as low as I could get it for the section of the trail with the most elevation change around 18 miles. Day five would basically be 6.5 miles out to Ohio Pyle and plenty of time for lunch and the ride home. And lastly even if we can’t stay the night at Pine Grove there’s no excuse not to make it out to say howdy, PGSP is less than an hour from our house…. Hope to see you all there
    WHEW! Ambitious! Tired just thinking about those miles and climbs !

When I have considered the LHT, I figured a week - minimum. Not sure; but, the "rules" may say you MUST camp in or near shelters...? Of course, I doubt it is that well patrolled.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Found the map!

Gris - Just dug out the Official LHT map: "Laurel Ridge State Park" with all the rules & regs. It has the elevation profile, all the crossroads for re-supply, mileage between shelters, water sources, contact info, etc. Yes, you're "supposed" to stay in the shelter areas.

I also have the Sierra Club "Hikers Guide to the LHT". Kinda dated (1991); but, interesting info on flora, fauna, and historical weather. <== Read that and it's a given you will get wet

If you would like...? PM me your snail mail addy and I will send either or both your way.
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    WHEW! Ambitious! Tired just thinking about those miles and climbs !

When I have considered the LHT, I figured a week - minimum. Not sure; but, the "rules" may say you MUST camp in or near shelters...? Of course, I doubt it is that well patrolled.
    More evidence of my new guy level of experience here at HF Just planning on going as light as I can hopefully less than 25lbs. and walking ten hour days taking the climbs as they come. I average around 15 mile days when I’m out on my own so the two 18+ mile days will be pushing it for me but at times it’s like pulling teeth to get a week off and not being able to camp where I want pushes me to the longer days. If it were up to me I would just hike 14 miles a day, but I can’t afford the hassle of getting caught not in a shelter. Besides I think I have ADHD because when I started backpacking 2 years ago when we would do 10 mile days I would just sit in camp and think I could have just kept walking.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Gris,
    Yea his site is where I found the info, but I am a little confused on the whole registration thing! I went to the PA link site and the way it was broken down was you/I/someone would have to register for every shelter on the specific day you are to arrive at it during your hike and they go into a thing of its best to pay online via credit card, or you can pay at the trailhead, but nothing lists a total price for a thru hike of the trail, as it would make it waaaayyyyy easier to pay and register !

Thats for the reply, keep us posted on your decisions! I am sill trying to iron out my work days off for the year and plan my trips around that!
    I forgot to call the park before they closed at 4:00 I will try again tomorrow. I copied the fees off Danes website. Overnight fee for a PA resident is $3/person per night. If your party consists of 5 people or more, than you will pay the maximum fee of $15/night. If you are not a PA resident, the fee is $4/person per night, and a $20 maximum fee. As far as making things easier …this is the Common Wealth were talking about

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    I just went to the web site as I haven't heard of this trail, and it looks very interesting, might have to give it a go some day!?
    But I have a question here is a piece from the site:

The Laurel Highlands Trail extends for 70 miles from the 1000 foot deep Conemaugh Gorge near Johnstown to the rugged and pictureseque Youghiogheny River Gorge at Ohiopyle State Park east of Uniontown. There are eight overnight areas, each which contains five shelters, tent pads, two comfort stations and a source of water. These overnight area are not located directly on the trail, but are set back off the trail to retain a wilderness atmosphere. Each shelter is large enough to accommodate 6 people. The overnight areas are situated 8 to 10 miles apart on the trail. Call (724) 455-3744 prior to your trip, for reservations, which are required. A fee is required for reservations.

What is the cost/fee for reservations? Anyone know off hand?

For those whom have hiked it did you have to make a reservation at each shelter?

Just trying to pick your brains a little, as if I can get enough info to peak my interest I will give them a call to get the rest (or do some google foo)!!
    I called the park office today and they said there is no set fee for a thru hike, and you can pay at the park office but that would have to be during office hours. So it looks like the best way is to use a credit or debit card, they will take checks but said to allow plenty of time for the check to clear and they raised the fee to $5 for out of state residents. I got a response from Dane on his LHHT forum and he said so far there are no issues with using the culvert, rather than the park detour of over eight miles to cross the turnpike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12