Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

I heard rumors about new years?

Is it true that people meet at the top of springers every new years?

Any camping new years planned out there?

about springers...
    Is it happening this year?
    What are the conditions like?
    Is it unreasonable to do a 3 dayer and end on new years at springers?
    Someone who knows the area and winter camps maybe you can help me plan?

thanks!

cooldays

Hammock
    WBBB - dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MCat D & SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti-3, CCF
    Suspension
    Straps 'n DClips
    Images
    My sense is the past couple of years this has been a very loose event. Sounds like some folks have just shown up. Springer is traditionally pretty windy.

Cold and snow down here now, but it's supposed to be in the upper 50s on Friday. I may be over-nighting in that area on Thursday.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    My sense is the past couple of years this has been a very loose event. Sounds like some folks have just shown up. Springer is traditionally pretty windy.

Cold and snow down here now, but it's supposed to be in the upper 50s on Friday. I may be over-nighting in that area on Thursday.
    That's the way it has worked. The weather is a big factor, it might be mild or so bad you don't want to be there. The forest service roads that get close to it can be iffy at times as well after or during a winter storm. No telling who shows up or how many and it is not particularly for hammockers but some may be there.

Springer Mountain is the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail and that is the draw. Some former thru hikers like to show up, some sobos (south bounders) may be finishing up, and some fool-hardy nobos may be starting out in the middle of winter on January 1st with the hopes to be the first one to finish for that year... you never really know. Occasionally a group may just show up to be camping out and partying all night. It may be quiet around the shelter or it may be too many drunks (it doesn't take many) for you to want to hang out around it. I always pitched my hammock a long ways away from the shelter while it was still light, studied/remembered my way so I could find it in the dark (there is no calling "time out I am disoriented, hit the light switch for a minute"), and took brighter and brighter headlamps each year. I also prefer a brightly colored tarp that can be located easily.

Daylight is scarce during the winter and hanging out trying to stay warm in tough conditions at an exposed site isn't for everyone. It doesn't always seem like a good idea when you are there and folks have been know to have those 'what was I thinking' moments, and bail out to their car in the middle of the night.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    was nice meeting you there Youngblood had a good time and you were very helpful.

TY
    Fool-Hardy
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That's the way it has worked. The weather is a big factor, it might be mild or so bad you don't want to be there. The forest service roads that get close to it can be iffy at times as well after or during a winter storm. No telling who shows up or how many and it is not particularly for hammockers but some may be there.

Springer Mountain is the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail and that is the draw. Some former thru hikers like to show up, some sobos (south bounders) may be finishing up, and some fool-hardy nobos may be starting out in the middle of winter on January 1st with the hopes to be the first one to finish for that year... you never really know. Occasionally a group may just show up to be camping out and partying all night. It may be quiet around the shelter or it may be too many drunks (it doesn't take many) for you to want to hang out around it. I always pitched my hammock a long ways away from the shelter while it was still light, studied/remembered my way so I could find it in the dark (there is no calling "time out I am disoriented, hit the light switch for a minute"), and took brighter and brighter headlamps each year. I also prefer a brightly colored tarp that can be located easily.

Daylight is scarce during the winter and hanging out trying to stay warm in tough conditions at an exposed site isn't for everyone. It doesn't always seem like a good idea when you are there and folks have been know to have those 'what was I thinking' moments, and bail out to their car in the middle of the night.
    hit the nail on the head imo

Ive been on springer in Jan to have fog so thick set in I couldnt find the way back to the shelter from the bear bag pulley--a whole 20yards. The drunks are only fun to watch until its bedtime. I like the experience once but have yet to return.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I went once. Don't plan to go again though.
    Way to far for me to drive just to camp in the cold & watch a big party & wonder if all of them are going to make it through the night
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

still it did have its moments - one NYE a young fellow had a bit too much to drink and ended up sleeping on his UQ thinking he was in his hammock

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    still it did have its moments - one NYE a young fellow had a bit too much to drink and ended up sleeping on his UQ thinking he was in his hammock
    I remember that He was a HF member, but I don't remember the name. I think he has dropped off the radar.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    Is it true that people meet at the top of springers every new years?
    Is it happening this year?
    What are the conditions like?
    cooldays
    Yes, it is New Years Eve and people will be there. Yes, it is a party and you have to like those kinds of things. I have been there 4 times and it never got below freezing; but, you never know 'cause it is Winter, the elevation. etc.

If you like to Ring in The New Year, just GO...! You will have a great time! Better than watching the ball drop on TV!

Biggest argument I was involved in was the weight/kick difference between packing Jack or 101
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    Biggest argument I was involved in was the weight/kick difference between packing Jack or 101
    That wasn't you that slept between his hammock & under quilt was it SkyDog
    Just kiddin my friend
    I think the guy who missed his hammock & didn't know it was a college age guy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast