Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Hennessy silnylon hex tarp review

I recently ordered and received the 12'x11' silnylon Hennessy hex tarp. The tarp is touted as being 19oz, and since I don't have any scales I'd have to go with that number. This is a large tarp, but extremely light for its size.

The tarp arrived in a generic envelope, with only the tarp and my order form inside. No external packaging or shrink-wrap, or any marketing of any kind. Pretty refreshing, imo.

The tarp is made similar to the polyurethane coated tarp that Hennessy sells -- it has little pockets sewn into the corners for the tarp line to go in when not in use. There are round plastic ring tie-outs, as well as little mitten-hook clips on the corners as on other Hennessy tarps. The color is a nice "Coyote Brown" (a selling point for me) and blends well with the surroundings, it doesn't stand out.

The sides are not cat cut, but it the tarp still pitches fairly taut, and though it rained all night, there wasn't any stretching or drooping of the tarp material. My concern about the small guage line that is provided proved unfounded. The line did not stretch either, even though it got wet. There wasn't any "tarp flap", even in the strongest gusts. In heavy rain, there were no leaks or "misting" through.

I got a chance to test the tarp Saturday night (took no pictures though, camera is not waterproof). The weather was windy, raining, slightly cold (33°F down to 26°F). I set up the tarp in the wind, before the rain came, with no problems, then went out later and set up the hammock in the rain. Never got wet, except for the few minutes I was out from under putting up the suspension for the hammock. I did take down the tarp for the biggest winds that arrived the next day, winds gusting up to 40mph that knocked down some large limbs nearby in my neighbor's yard. Didn't want to risk messing up the tarp for the sake of a test. I'll let somebody else do that test.

I would highly recommend this tarp for the weight and coverage. I think it's well worth the expense to get this kind of coverage to weight ratio.

Warning: For those trying to avoid buying things made in other countries (and good luck to you), you may want to look elsewhere. There's a tag on the tarp saying "Made in China".

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 12-17-2007 at 09:06.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks for the review. I have the PU version of the tarp (smaller) and was eye-balling this one, but had the uncharacteristic good sense to wait until I got the JRB one before springing more $$ for more gear I can't realistically justify

The HH one you reviewed is a foot longer in each dimension than the JRB, but the JRB has the "doors" which really do help some. Even when not rolled out as doors, there's more side coverage.

But then those little pockets on the HH for guy-lines are brilliant.

oh decisions, decisions. 'ccept the JRB does everything I can expect from the HH tarp, save keep my lines from being tangled.

The good news is that for those of us that think that extra ounces to add more coverage from the weather is a good investment, appears that we've got at least three excellent options in the HH sil hex, JRB and Speer 11x10 models.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sure, and I've been impressed with the commercial options lately.

I wish they'd throw the DIY folks a bone now and then, since that's where all of these "new" ideas seem to be coming from. At least Ed Speer sells some of his materials separately...

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry if that comes across as being bitter. I looked high and low for earth colored silnylon (like the coyote brown) and finally had to just buy a commercial tarp instead.

If you want materials and colors that the big boys use, where/how can the DIYers get them? I think that's my issue with them.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have the JRB cat tarp. Haven't taken her out yet. I was thinking of maybe sewing some tie-outs on my Black Cat in order to be able to close it like a tarp tent. Since it is a 12x11 tarp. Might still be too small to close around my JRB bridge hammock with it's 31" spreader bars.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I guess they'll have to start making tarps specifically for bridge hammocks. Anyone care to create the next big new tarp idea?

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Thru-hiker.com had coyote brown sil nylon a while back. They have the momentum-90 in coyote right now that is really subtle. I'm actually surprised to see much interest in that color on the civilian side. Probably why not too many spots sell raw materials in that color.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I guess they'll have to start making tarps specifically for bridge hammocks. Anyone care to create the next big new tarp idea?
    Just go ahead and put some sort of 'spreader bar' on the tarp as well. Get it out over the edges of the hammock, add a few cat-cuts and you're done.

Actually, I've got nothing as far as coverage/wind resistance is concerned.

TWS

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    Just go ahead and put some sort of 'spreader bar' on the tarp as well. Get it out over the edges of the hammock, add a few cat-cuts and you're done.
    TWS
    That's a really interesting idea. Lightweight tent poles, a couple of extra tabs on the side of the tarp to take their endpoints. Bit of a bother getting past them, particularly on the 2 a.m. moonlight stroll, but an interesting idea...

Tim had a picture (on a different thread?) of a tarp with tie-outs that, if adapted, might do the same thing.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Check out this post for an idea on adding room under the tarp.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast