View Poll Results: Which system allows for the easiest and quickest adjustment?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock spectra & tree huggers

16 21.62%
  • Straps w/Speers 4-way Wrap

7 9.46%
  • Straps w/Buckles

51 68.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Poll: Which is easier to adjust your hammock with?

All of the talk of tree huggers vs. straps + 4-way wrap + straps w/buckles, etc. has me wondering from those of you who have tried all of these ways. Let's say you've got your hammock up and you need to either shift it up or down the tree or left or right between trees for centering. Which set-up allows for the easiest and quickest adjusting?

I hate to do this, but this poll would be best answered by those that have actually tried all 3. Right now I can see tree huggers, but I've never used anything but those (I think that's about to change though). Thanks!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I voted buckles b/c they're all-around the easiest for adjustments - you can even center the hammock between the trees w/o untying it, for example.

But for moving the hammock up and down, it depends on how each system is set up. When I use tree huggers, for example, I often have a gap between the front end of the hugger and the tree - so I can just slide it up or down. Can't do that w/ a 4-wrap. OTOH, unwrapping a 4-wrap to move it up or down is slightly easier than untying the HH lashing to move it.

So it just depends on how each system is set up at the time.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have some buckles on the way, but I have not tried them yet.

I set up my HH for the first time this weekend after I removed the Spectra and went with the strap/biner system. I took some pics and I will get them up later.

Webbing beats stock Spectar/tree huggers hands down. It's MUCH easier to get tension on the hammock, it's quicker to tie and untie, and just easier to deal with.

Webbing wins no contest, IMHO.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Jeff, but with buckles, can't you just loosen one, pull the slack and move the strap up or down or do you always wrap your strap around the tree twice before buckling?
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Stock works...it is easy ...never takes for than 60-90 seconds to hang the hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Jeff, but with buckles, can't you just loosen one, pull the slack and move the strap up or down or do you always wrap your strap around the tree twice before buckling?
    Just one wrap, so I can do it like you say. But sometimes with the stock HH set I don't even have to loosen anything. Just pull it out and slide it up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Stock works...it is easy ...never takes for than 60-90 seconds to hang the hammock.

Pan

maybe for someone with experience but not a newbie. I had a friend who bought a hammock a few yrs ago. She had never hung it before she went on a trip. No one on the trip knew anything about one. It took forever and you should have seen all the knots in the webbing. The hammock stayed up all night...lol

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    maybe for someone with experience but not a newbie. I had a friend who bought a hammock a few yrs ago. She had never hung it before she went on a trip. No one on the trip knew anything about one. It took forever and you should have seen all the knots in the webbing. The hammock stayed up all night...lol
    Practice is important for anything new.... new gear without a check ride before field use is asking for trouble...newbies should practice extra to get past that phase.... Heck, even sex gets better with experience... more is always better...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had used the HH tree huggers and spectra line with the recommended figue eight knot until I tried Just Jeff's buckle set up. Buckles win hands down. My grandson uses a similar set but with two "O" rings instead of buckle, a little lighter than buckles. I should add that I did not have problems with the tree huggers and really did not mind using them. I had gotten pretty proficient using them.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    tell you what's annoying: when you realize you have to unwrap the 4wrap and tie it again... with practice you get faster

@Ewker: when you aren't used it it, it's amazing how just a little wrapping and knotting will work- I didn't trust the 4 wrap very much until I had used it a couple of times!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast