Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Overweight for my blackbird?

I have a WBBB D1.1 and I weigh about 220#. I know i'm over the "max flatness" rating and I'm pretty comfortable with the lye. My problem has been lately that my WB underquilts (both the winter and 3-season flavor) are sagging into the middle of the hammock at night. I'm experiencing a cold spot in the small of my back. I'm wondering if this is because of the shape of the underquilt not matching up to the sag in the hammock. Picture if you will, a "v" shape made by my back and legs due to the minor sag with the "u" shape underneath. The two letters don't go together without a gap at the bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions other than getting a 1.7 double? I really don't want the extra weight of the heavier fabric when i'm comfortable in the hammock as-is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'd be more inclined to think you are compressing the UQ loft a bit because of the additional sag in the 1.1. dbl. Can you hang the UQ lower so that it doesn't compress but still stays tight on the sides/ends to not let in the draft?
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    J:
    I have to ask if you are an active sleeper and if your UQ suspension is a channel type with shockcord that attaches at the head and foot end? I found that when I was using a3/4 UQ with this type of suspension I was getting a cold spot. When I changed it out for a four corner suspension this problem went away, well for me atleast.........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Squared View Post
    I have a WBBB D1.1 and I weigh about 220#. I know i'm over the "max flatness" rating and I'm pretty comfortable with the lye. My problem has been lately that my WB underquilts (both the winter and 3-season flavor) are sagging into the middle of the hammock at night. I'm experiencing a cold spot in the small of my back. I'm wondering if this is because of the shape of the underquilt not matching up to the sag in the hammock. Picture if you will, a "v" shape made by my back and legs due to the minor sag with the "u" shape underneath. The two letters don't go together without a gap at the bottom.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions other than getting a 1.7 double? I really don't want the extra weight of the heavier fabric when i'm comfortable in the hammock as-is.

In scanning the HF I have seen two fixes for this sagging.
    1) Tightening the suspension by tying a knot in the shockcord to make the overall loop smaller.
    2) (shug video) Add a loop to the mid point on each side and attach shockcord to the ridgeline with a clip. This will help hold the UQ tighter to the bottom of the hammock.

I would not replace the hammock if you find it comfortable. Checkout what Brandon says on page 3
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25584

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-27-2010 at 02:09.

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I was thinking of putting some sort of clamp on the shock cord once I get it set where I want it to see if it would help it stay in place better. I think this would be more along the lines of a 4 corner suspension. The shock cord is defiantly stretched out a little but its still plenty tight to make a nice taco effect before I get in, however, after sleeping in it my taco sags a little for sure. I'm wondering if there could be some permanent deflection in the fabric. I have the D1.1 with "factory seconds" nylon but i'm pretty sure the "seconds" part only refers to the inconsistent color. Its somewhere between a fade and tie-dye. I think it looks pretty cool.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Squared View Post
    I was thinking of putting some sort of clamp on the shock cord once I get it set where I want it to see if it would help it stay in place better. I think this would be more along the lines of a 4 corner suspension. The shock cord is defiantly stretched out a little but its still plenty tight to make a nice taco effect before I get in, however, after sleeping in it my taco sags a little for sure. I'm wondering if there could be some permanent deflection in the fabric. I have the D1.1 with "factory seconds" nylon but i'm pretty sure the "seconds" part only refers to the inconsistent color. Its somewhere between a fade and tie-dye. I think it looks pretty cool.
    You could try 3 foot of shock cord, tie a bull clips to each end and clip it on the UQ and over the ridgeline. If that works then do something more permanent.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Would trying pgibson's UQ Triangle thingies help? The different angle of pull may give you more of a 4 corner pull. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm not really sure how the UQTTs work but I think my problem lies in the support at the1/3 and 2/3 sections of the UQ. What I think I am going to try is a simple line up and over the ridge line at these points to give it some additional support. I definitely don't have a problem with droop where my butt hits. Just on my back.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    In scanning the HF I have seen two fixes for this sagging.
    1) Tightening the suspension by tying a knot in the shockcord to make the overall loop smaller.
    2) (shug video) Add a loop to the mid point on each side and attach shockcord to the ridgeline with a clip. This will help hold the UQ tighter to the bottom of the hammock.

I would not replace the hammock if you find it comfortable. Checkout what Brandon says on page 3
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25584

hth
    +1 on these fixes.

I had similar issues with my 3 season Crow's Nest. 3 solutions that may work for you.

1 - marlinspike a biner closer to the UQ in the shock cord and clip to your hammock suspension. This will shorten the suspension of your UQ and bring it closer to you. If this does prove to be the issue, you can make it permanent by tying an overhand knot in the shock cord.

2 - If you are compressing the down because the suspension of the UQ is already too tight, make a closed loop of shock cord. Girth hitch it to the end of your UQ suspension. Now put the closed loop over your whipping or clip to your hammock suspension with a biner. This is making your UQ suspension longer and dropping it away from your hammock which would allow the down to "uncompress" if that is the issue.

3 - You don't have side pullouts, I believe, on the Yeti; but you could tie shock cord to tieouts and throw it over the ridgeline and that would bring the center of the UQ up closer to the hammock which would get rid of any dead space between the hammock and UQ.

• + New Posts