1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

How did your testing go this winter storm?

Noticed a bunch of people going overnight in their hammocks in the winter storm. Some maybe did a testing today. Just wondering what items you tested be it hammock or clothing related and your assessment in the test.

I'll go first:

No hammock testing per se but did test some clothing in the Long Island Blizzard - - Integral designs eVent rain jacket and pants, OR meteor mitts, MLD eVent snow gaitors, NeoFleece face mask, First Ascent windstopper fleece jacket, Atlas 1230 series snow shoes.

Integral designs Rain Jacket - Sizing is for active use so I am normally a medium ended up getting the large so I can layer clothing. Did some sprints in the snow to generate some heat to see how the jacket would allow the moisture to escape. Initial testing seems promising. I cooled down a bit and walked around and noticed the wicking layer drying out in 29*F temp and wasn't too cool. There are no pit zips. I also used this jacket recently after I did a gym workout and I was sweating a lot. I was almost dry when I got home from driving as the moisture escaped and my body heat dried my shirt.

Integral designs Rain Pants - initial impressions were they are much rugged than I thought they would be. To tighten the pants are two velcro patches attached to some elastic bands. Weird but they do the job for me. There is also some belt loops so you can use a belt if you wish. Sizing it slim for medium but if I got a large I would be swimming in them. One issue is that I used these with midweight smartwool baselayers and I have to say my legs were cold and so was were my buttocks. I will need heavyweight layers underneath these pants. Under the sprints the venting seemed fine. There are also some side vents you can unzip to release more heat.

OR Meteor Mitts - Using mitts as opposed to gloves is different. big difference in keeping my hands warmer. Used a polyurethane gloves, OR meteor mitt removable liner, and the OR Meteor mitt thick shell. When you're hiking its fine. When you need to do anything that requires fine motor skill forget it... but thats where this system does OK... remove the shell and the mitt liner actually has slits in the mitt to allow your fingers and thumb to be exposed to do finer tasks. Worked really well but getting the liner back on is a PITA. I can see the benefits of this system when hiking and using the mitt slits to vent if my hands get too clammy.

MLD eVent snow gaitors - really nice. I like the slip on design much better than the velcro design of the OR or similar gaitors. No snow gets in the velcro and it's easier to get on and off. Also, cinching the gaiter to the upper calf is so easy.

Neofleece face mask - So much easier to breathe, moisture build up is much less than having the balaclava over the face and nose. performed beautifully with the hour out in the snow.

First Ascent windstopper fleece jacket - Really nice jacket, form fitting and soft and it doesn't feel constricting when it is zipped up all the way to my neck. Testing in the eVent rain shell is good so far. Testing still inconclusive as I need to test this thing without the shell to see how much better it stops the wind from biting through.

Atlas 1230 series snow shoes - Testing initially with about 1 hour of play time is good. The Atlas suspension system is really cool which allows your foot to float and allows articulation of your foot on uneven terrain. The laces on the shoe really allow for quick cinching and quick release. Testing was done in about 8" of snow with snow drifts of 10". I can see the advantage of using snow shoes now as my strides were better and I could hike faster as opposed to walking in the same snow without them. I would have liked to try them in 12-18" but it was getting dark and I wanted to go in and take care of my girl who is suffering from a sinus infection.

Got video but waiting for my new laptop to come in on wednesday and play with the iMovie feature.

So what were your results?????
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

MLD Short eVent gaiters

Thanks for the reviews. I always like your reviews, good work.

My review is on the other temperature specrum as it's summer on our side of the planet.

MLD Short eVent gaiter.

I have to say, these things rock. Completely waterproof and I walked through some 4-8 meter wide, over knee high fast flowing creeks and they don't let a drop of water into your boots from the top or sides. Also they breath in hot humid weather and I didn't have wet socks at all.
    The material is thin but when used off trai I'll layer these with my thicker stoney creek gaiters, will not be any water in my boots that's for sure.

For on trail and light bush wacking I can highly recommend these. You don't even know they are on and the adjustments are great and simple.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I decided to try reworking my winter down UQ that I made for my Clark to see if I could get it to work for my BB or HH. For my Clark, I've camped last year down to about 18 degrees and in snow and slept very toasty with no cold spots at all. Yesterday I finished getting the shockcord suspension worked out and hung up my BB in the backyard. I also put up my tarp and used my winter down TQ. Basicly everything I would normally have if out backpacking in the winter. The tarp also had to have more line put on it and I added amsteel. I spliced that and added it to the tarp. The tarp worked out well. Had to add line because I'm now using trees that are further apart. The UQ didn't work out. It's just to small side to side. Not so much at my feet area but around my shoulders. It's all about me being able to move about so much in the BB/HH that I move off of where the UQ is. In the Clark, because of how that hammock causes you to lay in it, I will tend to stay in one basic spot, even though I turn from my left to right side during the night. The BB has so much room inside it, that during the night, I'll roll over and then my shoulder or arm is frozen. The only thing I've come up with and I've been putting off, is that I need to make a wider UQ.
    I still had a good time testing out my gear!! My little thermometer that I hung at the end of my hammock said it was about 30 degrees. And it was windy.

TinaLouse

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Atlas snowshoe update - this morning I had to go to work (didnt want to burn the rest of my days until new years) we got 16" of snow but with the 40mph winds it created 3' snow banks. I used my snowshoes to get to my jeep.... wow the flotation is really awesome! I now see the advantage of using snowshoes. Glad I purchased them!

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Raul; do you have a link to the face mask??
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    http://www.rei.com/product/725711

that is what I used

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Well, our "Storm" here in Cincinnati was a whopping 2" of snow, it only got down to 0 for about 12 hrs & the wind chill never really got below -9 on my side of town, so I didn't do any "testing". Would have on the Zero night, but had to work till midnight, & just didn't feel like setting up Yea, I should have, but after doing a 17 hr shift, I walked into my bedroom, climbed into that hammock & passed out.
    My wife "Resisted" me throwing open the bedroom window, I don't know why

Except for the days I work, I've been sleeping outside, but that's not testing, it's what I do.

When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cabelas Gore-tex EXV Parka I guess they market it as a heavy-duty raincoat, but I bought it oversize to use as a winter outer layer.

Really nice when I was shoveling, stopped the wind and allowed my polarfleece to insulate like it should.

I did a quick test hang with the Molly Mac IX hammock sock, so far I really like it!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I was going to test out my set up since I got my OES deluxe back from 2QZQ with added doors.... then I got sick. sigh. We were on the west edge of the blizzard, so we only got maybe a inch and half.

Want to see if the enclosed tarp, along with the 4s Incubator UQ and 3s Mamba or 3s burrow TQ's is enough or if an IX sock is needed...

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Got home early today and played with the snowshoes, got some good video, and tested out the first ascent wind stopper fleece. These snowshoes are my new favorite toy.

Fleece is debateable.... yes it stops more wind than a regular fleece but I was expecting more stoppage. Still a really nice fleece jacket but in my opinion not up to the hype.

Youtube Channel:

• + New Posts