General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images

How often is a bug net necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    How often is a bug net really necessary? They seem to be the heaviest part of the set up. I usually camp in the southern Apps. My tents had bug nets and my HH has one but I've tarped a few times w/o and was fine after using bug spray.

I haven't used Permethrin, but if clothes and hammock are treated and you're using a max DEET spray, wouldn't you be OK? I heard that black flies are devils with wings but I've never had to deal with them.
    I broke this out of Sgt Rocks Thread because it was very interesting question that deserved more attention. Suddenly I have access to Permethrin and other sprays and nothing compares to backpacking in Canada with all the black flies and blood suckers. I went to bed one sunset only to have a scout jump into the tent after dark and then later discover a thousand mosquitos full of blood hanging inside the tent an hour later. We had been sucked dry for the minute that the door was open.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It's a love/hate deal for me. They're bloody hot, and it I can go topless, I do. My Thermacell is my friend.

Otoh, that warmth is most welcome in colder wx.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Ditto....what wise said.

Here in FL they're a necessity. My hammock is my only real "bug free zone". I treated it with permethrin a few months ago but haven't had a chance to really try out it's bug neutralizing properties yet.

I like having the netting to keep them from buzzing in my face or landing on me even if I can keep the little monsters from biting with chemicals . I really don't want to slather myself with deet before bed.

The constant hum outside the hammock at night is kind of maddening at times even with the net . Before treating the hammock body I've awakened to a couple of nice welts on my back from the little monsters biting through the fabric.

I'd love to go "topless" especially when it's really hot. I almost always set up a tarp but it would be worthwhile to rig it pulled back for a nice sky view without the netting. I've got a side zipper compliments of 2Q2Z so I might give this a shot next time the bugs don't seem so bad.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Ditto....what wise said.

Here in FL they're a necessity. My hammock is my only real "bug free zone". I treated it with permethrin a few months ago but haven't had a chance to really try out it's bug neutralizing properties yet.

I like having the netting to keep them from buzzing in my face or landing on me even if I can keep the little monsters from biting with chemicals . I really don't want to slather myself with deet before bed.

The constant hum outside the hammock at night is kind of maddening at times even with the net . Before treating the hammock body I've awakened to a couple of nice welts on my back from the little monsters biting through the fabric.

I'd love to go "topless" especially when it's really hot. I almost always set up a tarp but it would be worthwhile to rig it pulled back for a nice sky view without the netting. I've got a side zipper compliments of 2Q2Z so I might give this a shot next time the bugs don't seem so bad.
    Yea haven't forgot that ... nuts huh?
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Unfortunately where I do most of my backpacking in northern New England we have an insane amount of mosquitoes. Literally swarms of 30 - 40 small buggers trying to suuuuccck mahhh blooodd (Count Dracula voice) all at once. So a net is essential for me.

Its just a matter of location really.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    How often is a bug net really necessary? They seem to be the heaviest part of the set up. I usually camp in the southern Apps. My tents had bug nets and my HH has one but I've tarped a few times w/o and was fine after using bug spray.

I haven't used Permethrin, but if clothes and hammock are treated and you're using a max DEET spray, wouldn't you be OK? I heard that black flies are devils with wings but I've never had to deal with them.
    Not sure what bug net COG is using but I recently removed(cut) my bug net from a HH Exped for winter camping and it weighted next to nothing...

Late Spring, all summer and early fall you won't catch me hanging without a net.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Location, time of year all play a factor. When I livedin Virginia I would say nets were essential for two or three seasons, but when it gets cold enough then bugs aren't a problem. Moving to Flagstaff last year and I've all but put my bug nets in cold storage. I've only been on one trail when Mosquitos were a little issue.

That said, I still have a net if I need it, but haven't had to even pack one for so long. I made a half bug net (HUG) a while back and I would like to see how it performs in more bugs. I know it will be fine fir what I typically see.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Ditto....what wise said.

Yep, in Florida it is pretty much a necessity with the exception of some of the really cold nights we have been having.

Best All,
    Doc

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Camping in my neck of the woods and up around the Cape Fear River, it would be suiside to even think of going without a bug net. In Nov. I was being assulted by the skeeters while trying to set up my hammock. I finally got it set up and could only crawl in and watch my friend try to finish setting up her hammock before she too was totally eatten alive. In Dec, the skeeters were still out but in greatly reduced numbers. Jan and Feb might be OK to go without the netting but then it's cold and I actually like the netting because it holds a tad of heat inside. Plus I've found that I like putting my poncho liner over it and it holds that away from me and keeps me warmer. During the summer when it's HOT, there is really no other choice other than to just let the skeeters bite you. I use a small fan then to hang on the ridgeline to keep cool. I also don't like going to bed with deet on me and I've not tried treating my hammock with stuff. I've not had them bite through to me. (must keep arms off of bug netting, skeeters will bite through that).
    As far as weight of the netting goes... mine are all part of the hammock and they don't look to weigh much at all. Maybe the nettings that are seperate, weigh enough to want to leave them at home. But the small amount that's on my Clark or BB or HH doesn't look to be a lot.
    TinaLouise

Here in Georgia, I won't leave home without it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast