Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Noob Help (Ridgeline on a Hennessy)

Okay, I picked up my Expedition used and the ridgeline is not tied in. I've already done a whoopie sling conversion, but I can't find any threads covering reconnecting the ridgeline which seems to have pulled through both ends. The line is not cut, but I have no idea how to rethread it.

Any help?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The HH ridgeline should come out through the ends of the hammock and attach via end loops to the suspension. The pic below isn't great but should give you an idea. The ridgeline is black. This is normally all under the end caps but should have been visible when you installed the whoopie slings.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

You said that the ridgeline has not been cut,

so at least you do not have to deal with getting it the right size for the hammock.

Have you hung since you made the whoopie sling conversion? If so, you may have to work the sling's wraps loose in order to re-thread the ridgeline. A long, large needle can be used to fish a pulling cord through the gathered end and melted hole, and that line used to pull the pre-tied ridgeline loop through. Having done that all you need to do is un-thread the main whoopie from the loop, run it through the ridgeline loop, and re-thread the whoopie.

Jim

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Got it!

Thanks guys, with your help I've found it. With the 'cap' off I was able to see a small hole along the side of the ends and fed the RL through with a skewer.

My question now is whether the ridgeline is supposed to stay tight. With my hammock tied up now the RL seems to be somewhat weight bearing (not just holding the bug net up). In rethreading all I did was feed it through the opening and then through the farthest of the two holes and then looped it over the end so I suspect it isn't shorter than designed. In fact I even untied it on the inside and retied it a few inches longer. But is this line able to take the force put on it now or do I have it too tight? It just seems like shoelace cord and I fear forcing a break.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    Thanks guys, with your help I've found it. With the 'cap' off I was able to see a small hole along the side of the ends and fed the RL through with a skewer.

My question now is whether the ridgeline is supposed to stay tight. With my hammock tied up now the RL seems to be somewhat weight bearing (not just holding the bug net up). In rethreading all I did was feed it through the opening and then through the farthest of the two holes and then looped it over the end so I suspect it isn't shorter than designed. In fact I even untied it on the inside and retied it a few inches longer. But is this line able to take the force put on it now or do I have it too tight? It just seems like shoelace cord and I fear forcing a break.

If your ridgeline is too tight it usually means the angle of your tie straps are too low. Shoot for a 30 degree angle. If your trees are 15 feet apart the hammock ties should be about 6 feet high. The bottom of your hammock should be about 20"s off the ground.

hth

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

+1 on what Outandback said

For years (no kidding) I hung my HH way too tightly. Ridgeline as tight as a bowstring. I thought it was supposed to be that way. And then one day, SPROIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!

And then I discovered Hammock Forums. Replaced the ridgeline and I started hanging with a looser set, with the suspension pieces at about 30 deg from horizontal, and now my ridgeline is snug, but not tight - if that makes sense. I am getting a flatter position as well.

Jim

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    After hanging my HH many different ways to produce different levels of tightness in the ridgeline, I found my best lay is with it being fairly tight. Not bowstring tight, but more than just snug.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts