DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

How do you pick which project to work on next?

Brand new at this, I went hard for about a month and a half. I was up late (or early, technically) several times a week, since I would work on gear after the rest of the crew went to sleep.

The more I learned, the more interesting it all got... but it was all new so I was able to dig into one item or concept at a time.
    Then I started having a problem.
    As I learned more, I've found that I have WAY too many cool projects to work on, and not nearly enough time to work on them all. And to make things worse, sometimes I would start something, then read or discover something before I finished that would make me set that project aside. ie. I have a HH clone ala HC4U's tutorial that has been cut, hemmed, ends joined, folded, ridgeline attached, suspended... but I can't decide which method I want to use to attach the bug net, so this project has stalled. My son sleeps in it 2-3x weekly, but I'll have to sort it out so I can finish it at some point before spring when the bugs get more active (they never go away in NC).

Examples:
    -I made my son a GVP G4 Scout backpack, but it is too big for him. Need to make him a new one by spring when the cub scouts start camping again. Too many ideas on how to adapt the design to him, or other designs that I want to try.
    -still haven't seam sealed my DIY HH Hex tarp, added Grizz Beaks, figured out what type of tie out lines (shock corded) to add, added pull-outs, etc.
    -need to make a few sets of whoopies. Haven't found a fid that works well for me. been procrastinating this one in hopes of finding a better fid solution.
    -Have sil for one or two tarps, but can't decide on HH Asym clone, Ogee clone ala Gargoyle, or a few other options.
    -Got a batch of OD 1.1 rs from Nacra and can't decide which hammock design to use with it. There is about enough for 2 single layers or 1 DL... can't decide which to do. What basic design to start with? etc.
    -about 15 different alchy stove designs I want to try
    -2 different stove windscreen designs to build
    -and I try to write up whatever I make for my website, and to share here. There's a dilemma... make something new, or write up a project.
    -oh! speaking of write-ups, JJ mentioned a new hammock sock design. I've been just about to pull the trigger on a hammock sock for about a month, and trying to sort out how to best accommodate my FrankenBird hammock design (similar to WBBB) into a sock. Or maybe something like the HH SS on bottom, with a BBO on top, or a SEEP design ala MacEntyre? Anyhow, I want to see his design before starting mine.

So I often find myself in a sort of "analysis paralysis" mode, where I can't decide which item to work on... and I end up just surfing posts here on HF instead.
    Not getting much gear made that way.

How do YOU sort out what project for any given night/day/week/month/etc. ?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I try to get the oldest projects on top of the pile, so when I have a bit of time, I either work on the oldest, or the most nearly finished, or the one I need most for the upcoming trip..
    not much help, I know..KM

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Draw a card or throw a dart.
    Jump in with both feet.
    I like to finish one project once I start, if I stick one on the back burner, I lose all the grasp I had on said project.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used to have the same problem...I'd be up all night long just making new stuff. Never really happy with it b/c of all the tinkering mods I thought up as soon as I finished one project.

I never really decided which to work on next...I'd just get a bug and sit down and start making something. I still have a notebook with all kinds of stuff that I never got around to prototyping, though. And still thinking up new projects that I don't have time to make.

There's one particular sock and hammock design that I've been chewing on for a couple years now...I know it can be done, I just haven't actually sat down to do it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Work on what needs done soonest, and time line it out from there. If multiple items need done next - start on what takes the longest.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been without a thread injector for many moons now. I quit looking at my project list because it was getting to be depressing. Holidays are over (thankfully) and a thread injector is in the third position on my 'gotta get' list.

Think I'll try the dart method Gargoyle posted.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Once I get a bug up my butt for a project. I plan, plan, plan, and then execute. Seam rippers are our friends. If you change your mind mid stream, take it apart or make another after your done.
    Last edited by Running Feather; 12-27-2010 at 16:06.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Unless I'm really close or it's a very short project, I work on things that are "out of season". Otherwise, I finish stuff for the current season just as the current season ends, then I'm in the same boat for the following season.

For instance, right now rather than concentrate on winter stuff, I'm making summer stuff and making do with what I have now for winter. Finished two summer weight UQs last weekend and about to head down to make my son and I summer TQs right now. That way when summer rolls around, I've got everything I need done and don't have to "make do" or hurry/skip trips to get the right stuff.

Once I have what I want for next season, I'll start on this one(down TQ for instance). That way I'm not rushed to get stuff done.

But maybe I'm nuts.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Once I get a bug up my butt for a project. I plan, plan, plan, and the execute. Seam rippers are our friends. If you change your mind mid stream, take it apart or make another after your done.
    That's the problem... too many bugs, not enough... uh... time.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Funny you mention this.

Can't tell you how many times I have reconfigured my tarp setup, or my suspension, or my....

The list goes on and on. Once I think I have a setup that I like, I find something that has more of an advantage than my previous setup or is easier/quicker/weighs less/is more cool than my previous setup.

I haven't delved into thread injection as of yet so I can only imagine what happens when you get a better idea mid project.

As for me, I just start from scratch (which would probably be much more annoying than tying/untying knots or refidding or whatever I've had to do as of yet), or pick up another easier/more fun project that I'd previously put on the back burner to pick up said project. It's a vicious , albeit fun, cycle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast